Printing through clothing. - Page 2

Printing through clothing.

This is a discussion on Printing through clothing. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bark'n Printing through your clothing or producing a bulge on a regular basis, is merely poor form in carrying your gun. It ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Printing through clothing.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Printing through your clothing or producing a bulge on a regular basis, is merely poor form in carrying your gun. It is something which is always going to happen from time to time and it is better to dress in a way which minimizes it.

However, if your gun is still covered by your garment, it is still concealed and therefor meet the laws requirements of concealed carry. It doesn't matter if someone sees a bulge on your body and thinks they know what it is. As long as it's covered from view, it's considered concealed.

You may not even be carrying a gun, but instead have a huge old fashioned cell phone protruding from your hip and is covered by your shirt. Are you worried about someone seeing a bulge on your hip and thinking it's a gun? Are you going to get in trouble if someone calls the cops on your cell phone? The answer is No.

As long as your gun is covered from view with a piece of clothing or whatever else, it is considered to be concealed. The law doesn't state "concealed without bulges." It merely states concealed carry.
    I don't think printing is merely poor form of carrying your gun. It's what the individual carrying is trying to accomplish that matters. Just my .02 cents. Not all of us are going for ultra concealment all the time. That said, if your state has laws against printing, you should do your best to follow the law.
    Yetiman likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Most people don't even notice when I purposefully OC back home in PA.
    ericb327 and BurgerBoy like this.

Dear PrintinginPA,

(sorry, couldn't resist that )

To the OP:
    People aren't anywhere near the awareness level you are assuming they are. Your paranoia will be the give-away, which is why LE and security personnel are trained to spot that type of behaviour.

Printing. Adjust, buy clothing and holsters that are more appropriate for CC.

As a responsible gun owner/CC you must know the law, otherwise you aren't acting responsibly.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

As stated by many above, nervousness will give you away more than a crease in your shirt will. These days so many people are walking around with electronic devices near their belt line most people spotting assume it's a phone.

My girlfriend is always on the lookout now which is kind of fun. So far everyone she has pointed out that she thought had a holster visible below their shirt or a pistol under their shirt has had a phone or eyeglass case. I have spotted three people in public so far since concealed carry has been legal in Wisconsin. Two of them kept adjusting their clothing, and one had a shirt pull tight over a pistol while reaching for change in line ahead of me.

I had open carried often before concealed was legal here, and it is shocking how few people notice if you simply act normal and confident.

I have to say also that since CC has become legal here, I lean away from wearing clothes that would make me stand out as the type of person who would fit most peoples image of someone who's likely to be armed.

I have also found myself carrying larger pistols. When open carrying I steered tward compact guns that wouldn't stick out so much. Now I generally carry a Commander size .45.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    FL says your firearm must be "concealed from ordinary view," which means covered, out of plain sight. Most won't notice mild printing, but that skin-tight underarmor shirt isn't going to hack it. It shows more than your abs.

I prefer loose, un-tucked shirts with some sort of pattern to break up any outlines or oversize "Longtail Ts" from Duluth. No one's ever made a point of noticing my handgun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A big blousy shirt works fine. Eventually I won't need a big blousy shirt because my developing paunch may over hang my concealed carry just fine.
    bull8042 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Just a quick comment on the thread. This forum DOES have a search engine where information on this subject has been asked and answered many times. It would be helpful if more members used it for their specific need for information.
    On the subject, however, you do not have to get paranoid over "printing". Obviously this does not mean you wear a tight see-thru tee shirt with your firearm visible as an be yet "covered up". If you have "reasonably" dressed with a degree of responsibility to what "printing" means, you have no reason to get paranoid over the possibility with thoughts of arrest.
    This pretty much says it all. As long as you are making a reasonable attempt to conceal then a little printing is OK from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    A big blousy shirt works fine. Eventually I won't need a big blousy shirt because my developing paunch may over hang my concealed carry just fine.
    *snicker* I am finding myself in the same club as you as time goes on. I have a love handle on one side and a "love grip" on the other.

I have to admit that in the summer I do print now an then. But only if the person observing me knows what they are looking for. Is that bulge under my shirt considered printing if it might be a weapon? Or does the observer have to actually know its a weapon?

Michael

It's the "new car smell" effect. Don't worry, you live in an open carry state. It'll wear out.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

When you're new to carrying, you think everyone has "made" you, when in fact 99.999% of the population is clueless and could care less. Read up on your state's laws to make sure you understand what is required of you. In some states, printing could be considered brandishing.

The main thing to do is make sure you have a good carry rig and that your weapon remains concealed in all situations.

Another thing to get used too is not fussing with your clothes all the time. This will get better as you get more carrying experience.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. And I'll be sure to use the search engine before I waste anyone else's time. Guess I'd better brush up on my "forum" manners/rules.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. And I'll be sure to use the search engine before I waste anyone else's time. Guess I'd better brush up on my "forum" manners/rules.
    Two important rules.
    First: Never start a new thread about a subject that can be found by using the search engine. You will be chastised for not using the available search features found on the forum.
    Second: Never reopen an old thread that you found using the afore mentioned search feature lest you be accused of reviving an old thread. A zombie thread some call it.

Just kidding, sorta.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links