Printing through clothing.

This is a discussion on Printing through clothing. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. I'm curious. If my weapon is printing through my t-shirt, can I get in trouble for that? I know that most of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Printing through clothing.

Printing through clothing.

Hello everyone. I'm curious. If my weapon is printing through my t-shirt, can I get in trouble for that? I know that most of the time I'm not printing, although I do constantly worry about it. I'm always making sure my shirt is pulled down enough. It's been sort of a pain with the summer heat. I work outside most of the time, and I'm working in the WORST neigborhoods in Phila. Which is why I carry (By the way I carry left side 8 o'clock position IWB). I always think people are staring, and occasionally I swear someone has "made" me. I know its my responsibility to conceal, but also PA is an OC State. I'm sure I'm being a bit paranoid, but I'm fairly new to CC (about 6 mos.) Winter months I'm sure will be easier.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I am sure the cops will explain it to you soon, when someone calls them. Don't waffle, concealed or not, do it right.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

If you live in an OC state and it's covered up anyway I wouldn't worry about printing through your shirt. The VAST majority of the public can't tell a cell phone buldge from a gun buldge and those that can tell are the least likely to care.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Don't worry about printing in PA. Open carry is legal, so there is no duty to conceal. I used to worry about printing, but I don't anymore. Very few people notice when I OC, so I highly doubt they notice when I print a little bit.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

If OC is legal in your state, then you are probably OK if you print.

But it is kinda sloppy. Show it or hide it.

Don't worry about it. 99.9% of people won't think its a firearm. Just try not to draw attention to it (checking it every 5 minutes will do this).

Take some time and move around your house like you normally would, bending over, crouching down, reaching above your head, and you'll learn what motions will cause you to print, and just try to make a conscious effort to modify your behavior. Just loosen up and act natural. It might take you a year, but it will happen.

I've found that a little shirt flip as I'm getting out of the car, or from a seated position is all that is needed. The more you "play with it", the more people will notice. I also hook my thumbs in my pockets if I need a place to rest my hands, as opposed to the natural reaction of placing it on my firearm (obvious), my hips (non-symmetry), or crossing my arms (printing).

The only people who MIGHT notice would be:

Well seasoned Police Officers- and they will also look at your body language, and realize that if you're not fidgety or nervous, then you're probably not carrying illegally. Those Rookie cops who would tackle you because "oh noes! you're carrying a gun! you MUST be a BG"! probably don't have the experience to notice.

Other carriers
    - (same rules above apply)

BGs who know what to look for- (and they most likely will decide the risk doesn't justify the reward).
    HardBall likes this.

The place that i work at allows customers to carry. once in a while i spot people with minor printing rest of the employes and customers are like zombies. like stated above if you don't draw attention to your hip no one will look hard enough to see you printing.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I've carried for years, FEW people will see your gun, very few.

Printing through your clothing or producing a bulge on a regular basis, is merely poor form in carrying your gun. It is something which is always going to happen from time to time and it is better to dress in a way which minimizes it.

However, if your gun is still covered by your garment, it is still concealed and therefor meet the laws requirements of concealed carry. It doesn't matter if someone sees a bulge on your body and thinks they know what it is. As long as it's covered from view, it's considered concealed.

You may not even be carrying a gun, but instead have a huge old fashioned cell phone protruding from your hip and is covered by your shirt. Are you worried about someone seeing a bulge on your hip and thinking it's a gun? Are you going to get in trouble if someone calls the cops on your cell phone? The answer is No.

As long as your gun is covered from view with a piece of clothing or whatever else, it is considered to be concealed. The law doesn't state "concealed without bulges." It merely states concealed carry.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    The vast majority of people walking around in the United States would have to pause and "think hard" first...if you walked up to them and asked them what planet they are living on.

The other smaller minority are typically far too busy working and living their lives to be checking out your butt.

That having been said - Shop for a better holster or I will change your forum name to PrintingInPA.

In short if you have your License To Carry Concealed in PA then you are still perfectly legal if you are printing through a shirt.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Just a quick comment on the thread. This forum DOES have a search engine where information on this subject has been asked and answered many times. It would be helpful if more members used it for their specific need for information.
    On the subject, however, you do not have to get paranoid over "printing". Obviously this does not mean you wear a tight see-thru tee shirt with your firearm visible as an be yet "covered up". If you have "reasonably" dressed with a degree of responsibility to what "printing" means, you have no reason to get paranoid over the possibility with thoughts of arrest.
    SmokinFool likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I print sometimes too. Kentucky is also an OC state. Don't worry about it. I don't. People are so busy playing with their cell phones they don't even know you're there.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro - Gave it to my Daughter to carry.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro Duotone 13+1.
    Carry Pistol. Bersa Thunder 9 HC Pro Duotone 17+1.
    Politicians should be limited to 2 terms - One in office and one in prison.

VIP Member
    Being in PA where OC is legal, you don't have to worry about printing. As others have said the vast majority of people will either not notice or recognize it as a gun. You said you mostly wear t-shirts while working. If your wearing white t-shirts switch to darker colors, it helps hide the gun, also make sure the t-shirt fits loosely. Both things will make a world of difference.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GH
    I'm sure we all have printed on occasion. If you're constantly printing then figure out a different way of carrying if it bothers you.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    That having been said - Shop for a better holster or I will change your forum name to PrintingInPA.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links