Need a quick answer on online permits?

This is a discussion on Need a quick answer on online permits? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At lunch today a coworker asked about my OH CCL and another coworker says she found a place to do the permits online and its ...

Thread: Need a quick answer on online permits?

Need a quick answer on online permits?

At lunch today a coworker asked about my OH CCL and another coworker says she found a place to do the permits online and its good for 26 states??? Now I really doubt ANY state will let you get one online will they let alone one good for multiple states? Lol

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    None that I know of. You MAY be able to fill out an application, but it most likely won't get processed until the fingerprints are received. I'm sure others will chime in if they know of such a state.

Did your coworker say what state this might be?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjxj View Post
    At lunch today a coworker asked about my OH CCL and another coworker says she found a place to do the permits online and its good for 26 states??? Now I really doubt ANY state will let you get one online will they let alone one good for multiple states? Lol
    I believe Virginia is the only state doing online training and issuance. Here is the link to one of the training groups:

Virginia Online Concealed Carry Class | concealed weapons permit virginia

VSP Regulations Link:

Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

According to this: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf 31 (if I can count correctly) states honor the Ohio CCL. Perhaps this is what she was referring to by saying "good for 26 states"?
    Last edited by bootslxa; September 24th, 2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: I can't count.

^^^^^^^^ this is what I think she meant. OH can't even do online permit registration, you have to set up an appt with local Sherriff deputy to apply in person. That's after completing a 12hr course with an NRA cert instructor.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    I believe Virginia is the only state doing online training and issuance. Here is the link to one of the training groups:

Virginia Online Concealed Carry Class | concealed weapons permit virginia

VSP Regulations Link:

Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits
    While VA does have an online training program, you still have to download the non-resident permit application, have it notarized and then mail it via snail mail to the state police.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

AZ had something about online training
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

For Ohio, the training requirements are very specific, and you can't do it online.

There is an online version of the application you can type on, and then print out, but you have to take it to the sheriff's office in person.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Our sheriff won't even allow an online course for resident permits.

Utah permits are recognized in a bunch of states. Don't know about on-line application, but a google search might turn something up

Quote Originally Posted by Grantspastor View Post
    Utah permits are recognized in a bunch of states. Don't know about on-line application, but a google search might turn something up
    Utah permits require an instructor that has been approved by Utah.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

GH
    Is it possible that your coworker saw a license - producing firearms course that advertised online? Many courses will qualify you for licenses in other states as well as yours.

Wisconsin doesn't allow any online courses. Our courses must be in person. The only thing we can do is download & print the application form from the Department of Justice website.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

From VA's website (Education requirements Virginia State Police - Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits)

Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor.

You still have to provide a written, notarized application with fingerprint card.

Matt

Links