Table / Booth position at a restaurant - Page 2

Table / Booth position at a restaurant

This is a discussion on Table / Booth position at a restaurant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only ones who truly understood Cops and Concealed Handgun Carriers were Jesus and the Twelve Disiplies. Did you ever see that picture of them ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Table / Booth position at a restaurant

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    The only ones who truly understood Cops and Concealed Handgun Carriers were Jesus and the Twelve Disiplies. Did you ever see that picture of them in a cafe eating the Last Supper.......
    They were all sitting on one side of the table with their backs to the wall.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    I never thought of where I sit all I know is ever since I can remember I hated whn I had my back to the door. Everywhere I go my front has to be facing the door. If I am not facing the door I am always looking behind me. This is just another tip on sharping my skills. I think tonight over dinner I will talk to my wife about it. I like the way tht JimmyC and his wife has things down pack. My wife and I are jsut like tht but only with little things. (you knw the look tht she wants to leave at a party ) Looks like the dinner conversation tonight will be about CCW and "what is?". Thanks for the tips.

Man I love this site.......
    Ya know, I've never really consciously thought of it either, but I've always picked the far end booths as well. I'm NEVER comfortable having people right behind me, maybe I was shot in the back in a past life...
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

For me, ideal seating is one that does the following:
    • Provides clear sight lines to the door(s), exit(s) and traffic flow.
    • Has a measure of cover for my firearm. ie, Hanging the gun "out there" into traffic flow is a no-no.
    • Allows for a clean, unobstructed draw.
    • Allows for quick escape, if needed.

Chairs at a table (as opposed to an enclosed booth), near the back, near an exit ... that's ideal. Of course, in a given restaurant, where is that exactly? It's sometimes not easy to tell. Which is why I tend to frequent no more than a dozen or so restaurants, ones that I know have conditions conducive to maintaining a high-quality defensive posture.

As others have said, this isn't a pain. It's a part of you, once it has become habit. Generally, a scan can take 5sec or less. Often, I'm altering the choice of seating that the waitress/waiter has made, as we follow him/her down the aisle and can better evaluate the choices that are now visible. Easily done. On rare occasions, I've simply asked: "We prefer something near the back." Works just fine. Occasionally, I've overridden the decision of thw waitress/waiter by saying something like: "No, over there would be much better for us." Raises eyebrows briefly, but that also works.

When hosting folks where one or more are disabled, elderly or unable to quickly react/respond, I often call up the restaurant ahead of time, to check on whether there are multiple exits, whether those exits are locked, whether seating is available near the rear exit, etc. That certainly raises eyebrows, but coming in some days later doesn't tie me to that earlier phone call.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I never sit in a booth. (too confining)
    Corner table usually allows a good view of everything.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I took the family out to eat lastnight (Wife, me, 5 kids).

When they seated us my daughter, she's 11 years old, told one of the twins who are 4 years old not to sit in the chair he was climbing into because that was where Daddy needed to sit so he could see the front door. My wife and I just smiled proudly and thnaked her.

My wife and I both sit where we can keep an eye on things. I usually sit where I can see the front door and common areas and she takes a seat where she can keep an eye on the people coming and going outside. If she sees something hinky going on outside, she can warn me and we can take the actions needed to either get the family out of harms way or fight like hell.

We work as a team, we are each others backup.

Oh BTW...for those who don't already know, yes she carries too. A SIG P239. And she is a very good shot.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
    The only ones who truly understood Cops and Concealed Handgun Carriers were Jesus and the Twelve Disiplies. Did you ever see that picture of them in a cafe eating the Last Supper.......
    They were all sitting on one side of the table with their backs to the wall.

Jungle Work
    That's good!
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

Raised by a cop. It just comes naturally for me to pick a spot where I can see the door. My wife knows this and does a good job of saving that spot for me. I suppose it's hard to tell how much of my behavior is from my own psych and how much comes from being my father's son. I once had a LEO friend tell me (even before I had my permit) that I think like a cop. Best compliment I've had in years.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links