Table / Booth position at a restaurant

This is a discussion on Table / Booth position at a restaurant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was sitting in a booth at a local restuarant, and I began to wonder what I would do if someone came in to rob ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table / Booth position at a restaurant

I was sitting in a booth at a local restuarant, and I began to wonder what I would do if someone came in to rob the place. Not a big threat, in a large fairly upscale place, but still... Obviously I want a booth or table that gives me the best view of the door, but I had to think a bit on what side of the booth I wanted. I'm right handed, and keep my carry gun under my left arm. I practice with both hands, but am better with my right.

So, do I sit with my left arm to the outside of the booth, to cover pulling the weapon and forcing a cross body, and less accurate, shot. An advantage is that I could keep the gun inside the booth, and at least keep a small ( very ) element of surprise for any more BG's.

OR

Do I sit with my right arm to the outside, showing my draw but allowing me a better chance of hitting the target ? I'd also have to extend my arm ( I'm 6 foot 1 in my socks ), probably outside the booth, and expose my weapon to any other BG's in the area.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    You draw and hold your gun under the table and then do.... NOTHING.
    If you or your's are not threatened .. do NOTHING.

It's only money and not your's.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I wasn't implying I would try to stop a robbery at the front cashier, if thats all it was. My first course of action would be to dial 911. But if the BG's attempted to start robbing people at booths at gunpoint, or taking everyone back to the freezer, or started shooting... well, thats a different story.

Assistant Administrator
    Without going into the minutiae of positioning - basic rule for me is a peripheral position giving me best all around view. I'll add to that a thought too for rule #4 should something go down - what is beyond the main view area etc. I do like an ''ideal'' booth.

I am not doing anything until things go very severely south - in fact I can only repeat my much used phrase currently - ''I'll play it, as I see it'' - and that will mean for most part staying out of trouble unless trouble comes looking for me!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Roger that, Chris.......
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I dont know that I'd get too overly concerned with where I was seated, so much as being aware of my surroundings. Like we've discussed before, there is always a good chance that one of the bad guys is already present under the guise of a patron. Which kinda puts the element of surprise back in the bg's court. You may be quite capable of dealing with the one or 2 armed, masked thugs who come in by the front door, but its the guy in the booth behind you that was eating waffles that puts one in your back.
    Keep one's head on a swivel....

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    You draw and hold your gun under the table and then do.... NOTHING.
    If you or your's are not threatened .. do NOTHING.

It's only money and not your's.

AFS
    Going with AF on this one.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Safety in Numbers...

always ask for the 'armed section'. when entering an eating establishment...

Seriously, I always plan my seat to see the door...my wife knows this and usually asks where I want to sit. She has pretty much figured out the best visual thing...clever lady.

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife carries also, but I have primary responsibility, as we decided.

When we go out to eat, which we do often, when the host/hostess leads us, my wife is ahead of me. She knows that I want a spot with a "panoramic" view of the room/facility, so knows which seat to choose, and where I should then sit. If a table/booth is not acceptable, my wife requests another location. Just as in combat, there is "good ground".

This works out well, with no need for discussion at the door or in the facility. Nor do we make any non-verbals that would indicate why we are choosing the seating.

For us, the key is in knowing our respective roles ahead of time and then discreetly fulfilling them.

On one occassion, a guest near us became loud and boastful about his macho security job, getting very near declaring that he was armed. With just a casual look, my wife knew that we would be wise to leave in order to avoid being in the middle of a potential armed confrontation, so in a relaxed fashion we got up and left.

We occasionally discuss possible scenarios as we travel, and decide how we'll respond--we're an excellent team if I may say so myself!

Lew
    After several months of having every meal in a truck stop or an other resturant we can get the truck into, my wife is finally understanding why I sit where I do. I have found that I really prefer to be near the emergency door as often as possible. Most people don't even notice it, but having the table next to it and a commanding view of the rest of the place, I figure I can always go back later and pay for my dine and dash should feces impact the rotary air flow inducer.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Never thought of it.....

I never thought of where I sit all I know is ever since I can remember I hated whn I had my back to the door. Everywhere I go my front has to be facing the door. If I am not facing the door I am always looking behind me. This is just another tip on sharping my skills. I think tonight over dinner I will talk to my wife about it. I like the way tht JimmyC and his wife has things down pack. My wife and I are jsut like tht but only with little things. (you knw the look tht she wants to leave at a party ) Looks like the dinner conversation tonight will be about CCW and "what is?". Thanks for the tips.

Man I love this site.......

As a young Air Force Security Policeman I developed the habit of selecting the most ideal seating arrangements to be able to see everything. Twenty-three years later I still find myself subconsciously doing that. A good habit that should never die.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

VIP Member
    Something we all learned from Wild Bill Hickock
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Here I can honestly say that I have to agree with Jimmy C. I also do the same as his wife. My hubby always has a booth in the corner with a good view and his gun side safely hidden. I will automatically sit in the opposite side of where I know he will sit. No words ever need to be spoken, I quietly know what and when.... It is an automatic when married to a cop.
    Lady Valerian

I have 2 guns - one for each of ya'. Tombstone

Have to agree with the above post (that's my wife).

I prefer a booth to a table, where I can see as much as possible of my surroundings. I am right handed, carry on my right, and sit with my left side to the outside. That way, I can draw without being obvious about it, and the weapon will not become visible until I decide it should.

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links