What Should You Say (or Not) to Police at the Scene If In a Shooting? - Page 6

What Should You Say (or Not) to Police at the Scene If In a Shooting?

This is a discussion on What Should You Say (or Not) to Police at the Scene If In a Shooting? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Secret Spuk The police do get to decide if you commited a crime or not... No. The police get to decide if ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: What Should You Say (or Not) to Police at the Scene If In a Shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    The police do get to decide if you commited a crime or not...
    No. The police get to decide if they should arrest someone. The prosecutors can then level charges based on evidence. The judge and or jury decide if the citizen committed a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network will take care of the part where you have to acquire a self defense(Pro 2A) attorney. I became a member about 2 years ago and I believe it is worth the $80 per year membership.
    The ACLDN has several articles written over the past few years that decently address the pros/cons of the aftermath: ACLDN journal and articles.

Such as:
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Be polite, answer any questions that have nothing to do with your actions aside from the basic "I was in fear for my life" or some variant. After that

No Poly - never take a polygraph under any circumstances.
    No Waiver - dont waive your Miranda rights and dont consent to any kind of search.
    No Statement - written or verbal until you get a lawyer. Everything you say on scene, while being transported, or in an interview before being mirandized is admissible as a spontaneous statement as long as you are not directly asked about a criminal act.

You may have an investigator who genuinely cares about the truth, or you may get the guy that wants to close cases, better to assume you are talking to the guy who wants to report good numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I'm in the Massad Ayoob camp, myself. Point out attacker, evidence, witnesses and then shut up until you've had a chance to talk to your attorney.

I certainly don't want to be blabbering on to LEOs about what happened, etc, but I do want to make sure that critical evidence is not missed or witnesses have a chance to get away.

I'm in this same camp. My lawyer's business card is in my wallet and I never leave the house without my wallet. If I ever find myself in another SD shoot, I will do the same thing as last time.. hand m
    I've heard of it happening far too many times... don't want it to happen to me.
    I'm in this same camp. My lawyer's business card is in my wallet and I never leave the house without my wallet. If I ever find myself in another SD shoot, I will do the same thing as last time.. hand my lawyer's card to them, speak with my attorney and do what he directs me to.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links