Defensive Carry banner

My wife dropped her gun on purpose.

5K views 42 replies 36 participants last post by  ColoradoLady 
#1 ·
A strange turn of events left us with a few hours without the kids so my wife and I decided to have dinner and a movie together. She was dressed up in a good skirt and shirt and the skirt, like many women's clothes, isn't made with concealed carry in mind. Instead of her usual Fist holster IWB on a good belt, she put her Glock 26 in a cheap nylon clip holster IWB. As we were standing up from the table at dinner she got a concerned look on her face and I heard a "clunk". A combination of cheap holster, butt-heavy gun, and lack of a secure belt let it drop to the floor. She quietly brushed it over to the table and I bent down and picked it up as casually as possible. I moved it to my front pants pocket, nothing else in that pocket to interfere with it, and we went on with dinner. She was a bit stressed but the first thing she said was "safer to let it drop, right?". A lesson well remembered from a class we took a long time ago. Safer to let it fall than to fumble while trying to catch it and grab at a trigger by mistake. Luckily for us we were at a table near the back, and most of the tables around us had customers either facing away or up at the salad bar at the time.

And this is why I married her.....
When she realized she wouldn't be able to safely carry the Glock in her waistband, she opened her purse and took out the Ka Bar TDI knife she recently bought and clipped that to her skirt. She wasn't about to go completely unarmed for the rest of the evening. Since she didn't want to purse carry her BUG (a Seecamp .25) she had put the knife in there instead. I sure do love her....

Anyway, we were lucky and managed to learn a lesson from the whole thing. I think next we will try to find a better holster for situations like that (not that we get to dress up much with two 5 year old twins), and we have tossed the old holster. Maybe a belly band/thunderwear kind if thing is next? Maybe a dedicated holster purse? Maybe another option. I know she is looking for an excuse to buy another gun.

As always, your comments are welcome (and yes, she has a sister. Single, but a granola eating tree hugger flake from Oregon)

See less See more
#25 ·
If she were related to me she would have thrown her Glock across the restaurant.

Just Kidding. I have never thrown my Glock across a restaurant... just across a firing range.. at a target. In my defense, it was empty so it wasn't doing me any good anymore.

Moving on.

Anyway, yes, much better to let it drop than try to catch it. Just remind her to move her feet out of the way, too. A falling Glock on bare feet is a BAD combination.

And I like her choice of knives. :smile:

#3 ·
Lucky man. Maybe look into some thigh holsters? My wife likes to shoot but doesn't carry (yet, hopefully:wink:) so I don't know much about them, but I'm sure someone here does.

#17 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This! The faliaphotography video on holster options is the best I've seen. My wife, daughter, sister, and niece all learned a lot from it.

faliaphotography video - Bing Videos

Fitch

#7 ·
It's always in the 'moment' and how we react that determines the outcome. A persons immediate reaction would be to reach and grab. Training prevented that knee-jerk reaction and quite possibly saved someones life. And at the very least it prevented one of those embarrassing accidental discharge gun headlines.

Kudos to your wife!

#9 ·
When I wear a skirt or dress I wear shorts under it with my IWB and belt attached to it. It makes me feel about 5 years old with the shorts under and isn't sexy at all but it totally works - with some practice it's not bad to draw. One of the days I plan to pick up a pair of compression shorts so it doesn't feel as bulky UnderTech UnderCover Woman's Compression Shorts - Master Of Concealment.com

#14 ·
I'm glad I read this thread. Honestly, I have never thought about what I would do if I accidentally dropped my firearm or if it fell out of the holster. My gut reaction probably would have been to grab it.

#15 ·
She ever think of a flashbang? My wife uses one of those...

#16 ·
Always let the gun fall. Virtually all firearms have some type of firing pin block that keeps them from going off when dropped.

That story reminds me of a friend of mine who bobbled his Ruger single action during a speed draw during a cowboy shoot several years ago. I wasn't there during the shoot. He caught it, alright but unfortunately the gun was cocked and a finger landed on the trigger, sending one of his cast semi wadcutter right into his abdomen. He bled out in a matter of seconds. He shoulda let it land on the ground. It might have gone off but the chances of him dying would have been greatly decreased.

#23 ·
Not really, she owns an XD. ;)

Thank you for all the comments. My wife is also an NRA instructor, but a few months ago she broke her elbow and her shooting has suffered a bit because of it. Shes only been able to carry the Glock again for a month maybe, before that she was using a Tomcat with CT grips while she healed. I posted about that deal here somewhere. The Ka Bar was just bought because she could fight pretty hard with it even if her elbow was giving her problems. I was going to post a review on that when I get time, but the short version is that it is great for use with reduced hand/arm strength and dexterity.

#26 ·
#28 ·
Depending upon what she was wearing , but a lot of women also like the conceal carry shirts...... that can be worn underneath.

I've known 2 people who tried to "catch" a falling gun that both ended up dead. I hate the comment "they accidentally went off" , as in their cases....... in trying to grab it as it fell ..... they also unintentionally hit the trigger and ended up dead. I have dropped a gun, and the inclination is to "grab it" , and I resisted that urge..... and let it hit the ground. Funny thing, they don't shoot when they are dropped as long as you don't try to grab them and hit the trigger.

Sounds like your wife did the right thing and good job of it.

#32 ·
Great job on resisting the urge to catch the gun. I think that initial reaction is a reflex in all of us.

#35 ·
I think you are on the right track with the smaller pistol.

G26 is , IMHO too heavy for that type of unsupported carry in a holster.
Maybe a .380 Kel Tec or Ruger.

#39 ·
I wonder if you might be able to find a garter style holster. Do you watch 'Sons of Guns'? The girl on that show was trying to produce and market just such a holster. I bet you could find one somewhere on the magic internet. If not, get creative with a holster you like, some webbing, velcro, snaps, whatever, and heavy duty needle and thread. make your own that rides at the top of the inside thigh. Secure it with some sort of lady-wear under belt thingy...

#40 ·
Fitting something to the thigh to hold a gun would probably require more than just a band around the thigh. It would need a garter type of support. The cone shaped thigh and constant thigh muscle contractions will eventually work an unsupported small firearm down the extremity. I just could not even begin to imagine that would hold something over about 18 or 20 ounces anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.