My wife dropped her gun on purpose.

This is a discussion on My wife dropped her gun on purpose. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A strange turn of events left us with a few hours without the kids so my wife and I decided to have dinner and a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: My wife dropped her gun on purpose.

My wife dropped her gun on purpose.

A strange turn of events left us with a few hours without the kids so my wife and I decided to have dinner and a movie together. She was dressed up in a good skirt and shirt and the skirt, like many women's clothes, isn't made with concealed carry in mind. Instead of her usual Fist holster IWB on a good belt, she put her Glock 26 in a cheap nylon clip holster IWB. As we were standing up from the table at dinner she got a concerned look on her face and I heard a "clunk". A combination of cheap holster, butt-heavy gun, and lack of a secure belt let it drop to the floor. She quietly brushed it over to the table and I bent down and picked it up as casually as possible. I moved it to my front pants pocket, nothing else in that pocket to interfere with it, and we went on with dinner. She was a bit stressed but the first thing she said was "safer to let it drop, right?". A lesson well remembered from a class we took a long time ago. Safer to let it fall than to fumble while trying to catch it and grab at a trigger by mistake. Luckily for us we were at a table near the back, and most of the tables around us had customers either facing away or up at the salad bar at the time.

And this is why I married her.....
    When she realized she wouldn't be able to safely carry the Glock in her waistband, she opened her purse and took out the Ka Bar TDI knife she recently bought and clipped that to her skirt. She wasn't about to go completely unarmed for the rest of the evening. Since she didn't want to purse carry her BUG (a Seecamp .25) she had put the knife in there instead. I sure do love her....

Anyway, we were lucky and managed to learn a lesson from the whole thing. I think next we will try to find a better holster for situations like that (not that we get to dress up much with two 5 year old twins), and we have tossed the old holster. Maybe a belly band/thunderwear kind if thing is next? Maybe a dedicated holster purse? Maybe another option. I know she is looking for an excuse to buy another gun.

As always, your comments are welcome (and yes, she has a sister. Single, but a granola eating tree hugger flake from Oregon)
    BurgerBoy, Rhcmlc, darbo and 7 others like this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Is your wife related to Lima? Sounds like she really gets it.
    oneshot, darbo and marcclarke like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lucky man. Maybe look into some thigh holsters? My wife likes to shoot but doesn't carry (yet, hopefully) so I don't know much about them, but I'm sure someone here does.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

SDG
    Very nice. Smart woman.

OD*
    Sounds like you have a keeper there.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Your wife is way cooool at the point of "letting it drop" and discretely sliding it over, but then moving the TDI from purse to skirt - freakin' awesome. Check out faliaphotography on youtube for holster options.

It's always in the 'moment' and how we react that determines the outcome. A persons immediate reaction would be to reach and grab. Training prevented that knee-jerk reaction and quite possibly saved someones life. And at the very least it prevented one of those embarrassing accidental discharge gun headlines.

Kudos to your wife!

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    You scored a real keeper with that one.

When I wear a skirt or dress I wear shorts under it with my IWB and belt attached to it. It makes me feel about 5 years old with the shorts under and isn't sexy at all but it totally works - with some practice it's not bad to draw. One of the days I plan to pick up a pair of compression shorts so it doesn't feel as bulky UnderTech UnderCover Woman's Compression Shorts - Master Of Concealment.com
    Freedom Doc and BurgerBoy like this.

Sounds like you two are very much on the same page. Well done to you and her!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Yes she was absolutely correct by just letting the gun fall. Need I bring up the Plaxico Burress incident?

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by RightyLefty; September 27th, 2012 at 03:09 AM.

VIP Member
    As the saying goes, "Live and Learn". Glad it all worked out.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Both functional and hot

THIGH HOLSTER
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I'm glad I read this thread. Honestly, I have never thought about what I would do if I accidentally dropped my firearm or if it fell out of the holster. My gut reaction probably would have been to grab it.

She ever think of a flashbang? My wife uses one of those...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links