Define "concealed"

This is a discussion on Define "concealed" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Different everywhere. In Michigan you can set your loaded Dessert Eagle on the dash and it's technically concealed if it's in your vehicle. You must ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Define "concealed"

Different everywhere. In Michigan you can set your loaded Dessert Eagle on the dash and it's technically concealed if it's in your vehicle. You must have a CPL to carry a firearm in the cabin of a vehicle, but once you do......whatever works for you is okay. BTW, i don't know why anyone would want to reveal their weapon.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

2. Remove Ads

Well , went and looked up the laws /regs regarding weapons in vehicles and what I had posted has been repealed. Actually looked for ANY law pertaining to transport of a firearm and the only thing that hasn't been repealed is a few regarding machine guns .To tell you the truth , laws have been getting repealed here daily . The one thing I DID find was there was no law against transporting a loaded handgun , just rifles/shotguns .

I'm glad that Tennessee does not specify concealed or open. That way, if it gets exposed getting out of the car, etc, no problem.

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

It's very easy to know what "concealed" is in Arizona... The law states as long as a portion of the holster is visible (LE has figured that anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of the holster) then it's not concealed. So anything else including not being in a holster is concealed. For instance, even if you have an IWB holster that covers up to the trigger guard and everything else of the gun is above the waistline, it's concealed because you can't see the holster (all below the waistline).

Cheers.

1943 - 2009
    Montana law defines "concealed" as a "weapon on one's person that is wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel" of the carrier.

Thus, a weapon carried in a purse, briefcase, backpack or in a vehicle is not considered to be concealed under the law.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Now that's a good question. I put it to the Ohio Attorney General's office, when I asked them what constituted the requisite "Plain View Holster" for carrying in a motor vehicle. (Ohio, by the way, has re-defined Webster's! "Concealed" according to the standard courtroom reference, Webster's Dictionary, means "hidden." The Ohio Legislature now defines it as meaning "in plain view!")
    But I digress.
    In Ohio the concealed carry sidearm must be "in plain view, carried in a holster, attached to the license holder's person."
    I called and asked what constitutes "Plain View," and which holsters conformed to their requirement?
    Their answer?
    "Oh, we don't have a definition of "plain view." We don't even have a definition for "holster." We hope common sense will prevail."
    Talk about your can of worms!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Maine?

Quote Originally Posted by ptmmatssc View Post
    Well , went and looked up the laws /regs regarding weapons in vehicles and what I had posted has been repealed. Actually looked for ANY law pertaining to transport of a firearm and the only thing that hasn't been repealed is a few regarding machine guns .To tell you the truth , laws have been getting repealed here daily . The one thing I DID find was there was no law against transporting a loaded handgun , just rifles/shotguns .
    I presume you are talking about maine here, can you provide a source for this please? Not that I dont trust you, but I want to read the law for myself before I change my behavior, becoming a felon by accident is low on my to-do list.

Thanks,
    AE

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    I've had similar questions about Texas law. From what I can tell, looking through the TX Penal Code, Texas does not give an exact definition of "concealed".

Obviously, if a casual observer can clearly tell you have a gun, that is failure to conceal. But what about a spare mag? Does exposing a magazine imply that you have a gun to go with it? Is that failure to conceal your weapon? (specifically in TX)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I believe case law in VA defines open as visible from 3 sides, with the dreaded commonsense about sitting in cars and such. I remember hearing about someone who was arrested for concealed without a permit because the LEO couldn't see the weapon from the driver's window, but it got thrown out.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I've had similar questions about Texas law. From what I can tell, looking through the TX Penal Code, Texas does not give an exact definition of "concealed".

Obviously, if a casual observer can clearly tell you have a gun, that is failure to conceal. But what about a spare mag? Does exposing a magazine imply that you have a gun to go with it? Is that failure to conceal your weapon? (specifically in TX)
    Here's the definition from the Administrative Rules... It doesn't mention magazines at all.

Texas Administrative Code
    TITLE 37 PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
    PART 1 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    CHAPTER 6 LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUNS
    SUBCHAPTER A GENERAL PROVISIONS
    RULE §6.1 Definitions

(6) Concealed handgun--A handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

Definition? Generally speaking, not casually visible. For me, not visible even under reasonable scrutiny without touching is the goal, regardless of mode of carry/dress. Tactically, printing can be a bad thing ... whether for sheep's mild dispositions or a BG's target acquisition system.

What's required in Oregon? I believe concealed from casual observation is the standard.

What's reasonable where you live? Ask yourself one question: In a mixed, public situation, who nearby you would you not want to know you were carrying ... then, carry accordingly. In all practicality, that should be the minimum standard you achieve. (Else, what's the point.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bashful View Post
    Here's the definition from the Administrative Rules... It doesn't mention magazines at all.

Texas Administrative Code
    TITLE 37 PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
    PART 1 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    CHAPTER 6 LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUNS
    SUBCHAPTER A GENERAL PROVISIONS
    RULE §6.1 Definitions

(6) Concealed handgun--A handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

Aha! Buried in the Administrative Code. I suppose someone could still argue that the presence of a magazine allows him to discern that I have a gun, but a reasonable person would probably not make that assumption. Thanks for the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticelf View Post
    I presume you are talking about maine here, can you provide a source for this please? Not that I dont trust you, but I want to read the law for myself before I change my behavior, becoming a felon by accident is low on my to-do list.

Thanks,
    AE
    Looked and looked , but finally found something that would be the one and only law regarding transport of firearms in a vehicle . linky below:

http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statu...2sec11212.html

1. Prohibition. The following provisions apply to shooting from a motor vehicle or motorboat or possessing a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle.

A. A person may not shoot while in or on a motor vehicle or motorboat or while in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle except:

(1) A person may hunt migratory waterfowl from a motorboat in accordance with federal regulations;

(2) Paraplegics and single or double amputees of the legs may shoot from motor vehicles that are not in motion; and

(3) A person may shoot from a motorboat if that boat is not being propelled by its motor.
    [2003, c. 614, §9 (aff); c. 655, Pt. B, §142 (amd); §422 (aff).]

B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit. [2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (new); c. 614, §9 (aff).]

C. A person may not possess a wild animal or wild bird taken in violation of paragraph A or B, except as otherwise provided in this Part. [2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (new); c. 614, §9 (aff).]
    [2003, c. 614, §9 (aff); c. 655, Pt. B, §142 (amd); §422 (aff).]

Other than this , there really isn't much for laws regarding transport , other than if you don't have a Maine concealed permit , no go on a LOADED weapon .

Quote Originally Posted by ptmmatssc View Post
    except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit. [2003, c. 414, Pt. A, §2 (new); c. 614, §9 (aff).]

Other than this , there really isn't much for laws regarding transport , other than if you don't have a Maine concealed permit , no go on a LOADED weapon .
    Okay, that was my understanding. I was hoping (based on your original post) that the bit about requiring a permit had been changed.

I guese I'll get my ME CCW any way...

AE

Quote Originally Posted by arcticelf View Post
    Okay, that was my understanding. I was hoping (based on your original post) that the bit about requiring a permit had been changed.

I guese I'll get my ME CCW any way...

AE
    glad I could help . Couldn't believe I had to look under hunting laws for that .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links