Define "concealed"

This is a discussion on Define "concealed" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure this is legally different in all States, but I was wondering what defines "concealed." Two questions: A: Carry: I can gather on-person definitions ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Define "concealed"

Define "concealed"

I'm sure this is legally different in all States, but I was wondering what defines "concealed."

Two questions:

A: Carry: I can gather on-person definitions come down to "out of sight," but purses are always mentioned for ladies. Does this qualify for briefcases, backpacks, or over-the-shoulder courier bags as well?

B: Transition to autos: Is their an issue with taking the purse (above) and placing it on the front seat? What about the briefcase/backpack/courier bag? I know laws concerning weapons in autos vary. We can carry in glove compartments or consoles without a permit. Between "concealed" and the glove compartment is what concerns me.

I was given a few scenarios in class. One was "in a jacket while wearing is OK." The next step was, "Taking off the jacket and laying it on the seat in the auto is OK." Third scenario was "taking it out of the jacket and laying it under the jacket on the seat is illegal." ???

Thanks in advance.
    TStorm
    Ruger P95/Kahr PM9/S&W Model 65 .357

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    My own interpretation is simply - out of visual sight - unseen.

Printing is a grey area but again IMO - if the outline does not say ''gun'' then it is concealed.

The jacket/vehicle deal - open to debate and state variations I reckon! Laying under jacket while not on the person is tho to me technically concealed - it is out of plain sight - and it would be too in glove compartment.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95, do you ever CC your P95? In what/how?

It's not exactly a convenient compact.
    TStorm

Assistant Administrator
    True - P95 is not easiest to carry but with my method it is not hard. Remember I carry EDC of a 226 these days - it's still quite big! That tho is in a nice K&D rig.

I used the P95 way back and used initially a fobus paddle - it worked for me quite well. I then had a simple leather rig for a while and also used a sho rig - Bianchi X-15 - that was very good at carrying the P95.

The gun is chunky for sure but for me - easily ''loseable'' Much depends on a user's carry/concealment options - I have an easy solution as my outer garments are large enough and loose - plus I am at home a major amount of time and so open carry then anyways.
    Chris - P95

Thanks. I love to practice with the P95. My initial question comes from knowing it could be a great "satchel gun", but not the best carry-on-body gun.

Any feedback on males carrying in a briefcase, or "saddlebag?"
    TStorm

Assistant Administrator
    Found this pic from way back - the P95 worn in the Bianchi rig

Chris - P95

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Wow that thing looks huge on you. I had no idea the gun was that big.

P95...

That is a huge gun...for CCW.

Short note...what is EDC carry?...my mind must be going!

Thanks...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am not a fan of bag carry. Personally, I want the gun on me. I can control where the gun is at all times. Now I know someone is thinking "What if you get into a fight or tackled or otherwise on the ground?" My answer is my gun is still on my person, I would have to be unconscious before the weapon could be taken from my possession.

A bag, however, is a different story. Think about it for a moment. How many times have you been to a grocery store and seen a woman put her purse into a shopping cart, only to leave it unattended even for a moment to retrieve something. That moment is all that is needed for an opportunist to become a purse thief. Same thing goes for coffee houses and resturaunts. Business folk go to these places for lunches and informal meetings. The briefcase is the first thing to hit the floor, then the jacket comes off and is hung on the back of a chair. Once the person sits down, the case is no longer in direct line of sight. Attention is diverted to the topic at hand. People are always walking past your table, be it an employee or a customer. After a few trips, you tend to ignore these individuals. All it takes is one.

As uncomfortable as it may be, keep you jacket on (pending you wear one) and have the weapon on your person.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    That is a huge gun...for CCW.

Short note...what is EDC carry?...my mind must be going!

Thanks...

ret
    EDC = every day carry

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    States differ in their CC rules/regs/laws. In Maine you were licensed to carry a pistol or revo ONLY. The weapon had to be on your person. Other than that NO LOADED FIREARMS were allowed in vechs. License or not. I would encourage you to check the laws of the state(s) you plan to carry in.

The laws governing people being able to see your firearm change from state to state also. It's all in the wording. In NO state can you wave a gun around,or display to threaten.

For me,"printing" is not a worry . I'm not really sure that I even like that term being used to reference,maybe,possibly,kinda,think you saw,what could have been a pistol or revo(maybe),under what that person is wearing. HUH ?? To me,the LEO,when called to investegate a call such as this should first ask the caller what kind of gun was it? Pistol or revo? What color? How long of bbl? How worn? On what side? etc.,etc. This,to determine if the caller ACTUALLY saw a weapon or a palm pilot,Blackberry,pager,etc.

In a nutshell,it's all in the wording of the law.---------

RSSZ Maine law as follows does allow for a permit holder to have a loaded weapon not directly on thier person within a vehicle.

It is unlawful to carry any firearm concealed about the person without having a concealed carrying permit. This includes carrying in an automobile glove compartment, or other area where the firearm is under the person^s control. It is not unlawful to carry a firearm openly.

It is unlawful for a person, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, to have a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle-loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except for a law enforcement official in the line of duty. A person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit.
    Last edited by ptmmatssc; September 30th, 2006 at 01:32 PM. Reason: addition

Whirlwind...I SHN...

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    EDC = every day carry
    Thanks...I SHN!

(Should Have Known)...

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sheesh...

SHK...

Should Have Known...I just can't win today!

ret

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    ptmmatssc, Does the law have any revisions,and if so what date is on them ?? -------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links