How Do Authorities Solve This: Both Parties Claim Self-Defense? : - Page 3

How Do Authorities Solve This: Both Parties Claim Self-Defense? :

This is a discussion on How Do Authorities Solve This: Both Parties Claim Self-Defense? : within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CanuckQue LOL! You could use that with the jury! "Now, I ask you, ladies and gentleman to consider the argument that the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: How Do Authorities Solve This: Both Parties Claim Self-Defense? :

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    LOL! You could use that with the jury!

"Now, I ask you, ladies and gentleman to consider the argument that the pistol was being used 'for self-defense'. Who would use a .22 for self-defense? It strains credulity!"
    "Whilst, on the other hand, everyone familiar with self-defense philosophy KNOWS that the (fill in the blank, depending on what you carry) is by far finest caliber on the planet for stopping criminal assailants."
    detective likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I actually OC'ed a 22 revolver for years when I was younger. (before CC laws) I even had to use it a time or two in attempted robbery attempts while working. So, I know one shot from a 22 can stop a BG in his tracks.

If a 22 was all I could afford to buy & practice with, I would carry one gladly!

-
    Was that even legal???
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    "Whilst, on the other hand, everyone familiar with self-defense philosophy KNOWS that the (fill in the blank, depending on what you carry) is by far finest caliber on the planet for stopping criminal assailants."
    Man, imagine if the jury was hung because you used a .40 and "pro-2A guy" you thought would be on your side in the jury is a .357 sig nut!
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Man, imagine if the jury was hung because you used a .40 and "pro-2A guy" you thought would be on your side in the jury is a .357 sig nut!
    I'm sure similar illogical things have happened in a number of Jury-verdicts. I can think of a few well-known ones that still seem nuts.

One very good piece of advice I've read here (from "Secret Spuk", Post #20) is try to avoid getting charged in an SD incident to begin with. Once you are, it's fate and luck the type of people who will be deciding your future, and there will be a lot of them: lawyers, police personnel, DA staffs, judges, Juries - and one of them could send you up the creek for the silliest reasons imaginable, it's all out of your control. Where is if you are not charged......
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Lots of good opinions imho in this thread :thumbup:

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I'm sure similar illogical things have happened in a number of Jury-verdicts. I can think of a few well-known ones that still seem nuts.

One very good piece of advice I've read here (from "Secret Spuk", Post #20) is try to avoid getting charged in an SD incident to begin with. Once you are, it's fate and luck the type of people who will be deciding your future, and there will be a lot of them: lawyers, police personnel, DA staffs, judges, Juries - and one of them could send you up the creek for the silliest reasons imaginable, it's all out of your control. Where is if you are not charged......
    How does one avoid getting charged? Zimmerman is the best example I can think of regarding the virtues of keeping one's mouth shut, seeking immediate medical attention, and getting a lawyer before making any statements to the police who, in this case felt he should not have been charged. Talking to the police beyond the immediate facts of the situation after a lethal force confrontation is simply a bad idea.
    William T. Sherman

How does one avoid getting charged? Zimmerman is the best example I can think of regarding the virtues of keeping one's mouth shut, seeking immediate medical attention, and getting a lawyer before making any statements to the police who, in this case felt he should not have been charged. Talking to the police beyond the immediate facts of the situation after a lethal force confrontation is simply a bad idea.
    Actually the police wanted to arrest him. The prosicutor prevented it.

LOL! You could use that with the jury!

"Now, I ask you, ladies and gentleman to consider the argument that the pistol was being used 'for self-defense'. Who would use a .22 for self-defense? It strains credulity!"
    I carried a .22 while working undercover.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Actually the police wanted to arrest him. The prosicutor prevented it.
    Actually, one officer wanted to arrest him. That aside, he has now been charged with murder, apparently based in large part upon statements he made during three separate interviews with the police, all without the benefit of counsel.
    William T. Sherman

this is why you always record these things with audio and/or video, or better yet, have a device recording everywhere you go.

yeah right...only if that was practical to do all the time! Maybe use those glasses that have a built in camera. Calling 911 (if you have time) and letting them record what happens. And besides some kind of witnesses (live or video) seeing what happened, I like the idea of prior criminal records being looked into.

I think one way is to avoid saying absolutely nothing - in that case you will be arrested for sure. As other have suggested, make clear who the assailant is. That you would be willing to swear out a complaint, if there is evidence you are aware of exculpatory to you, by all means point it out - also, make clear, you were in fear of your life, had to stop a lethal attack etc. And I'd say lastly, take a cooperative and non-agressive attitude. Also make sure you call 911 fast afterwards. Much better if you report it than a witness, or the actual BG. Ask for "help" too, that can set a tone and it's also true, you do need help.

My opinion on silence is it puts the Police in a position where - knowing nothing - they must treat you as potential murderer. I also would tend to slightly take with a grain of salt anyone's finally stating it was self-defense only after a discussion with their attorney. (That's me)

These are some things others have pointed to that might help the Police decide not to arrest you and perhaps, help later, not to charge you - of course, depending on the evidence.

If you believe the Police are "out to get you" than the above seems senseless. But I think their first job is be safe and make the area safe, and second, to find what happened. Most police officers I know seem like people who would not automatically be against anybody. That's not their job.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    I think one way is to avoid saying absolutely nothing - in that case you will be arrested for sure. As other have suggested, make clear who the assailant is. That you would be willing to swear out a complaint, if there is evidence you are aware of exculpatory to you, by all means point it out - also, make clear, you were in fear of your life, had to stop a lethal attack etc. And I'd say lastly, take a cooperative and non-agressive attitude. Also make sure you call 911 fast afterwards. Much better if you report it than a witness, or the actual BG. Ask for "help" too, that can set a tone and it's also true, you do need help.

My opinion on silence is it puts the Police in a position where - knowing nothing - they must treat you as potential murderer. I also would tend to slightly take with a grain of salt anyone's finally stating it was self-defense only after a discussion with their attorney. (That's me)

These are some things other have pointed to that might help the Police decide not to arrest you and perhaps, later, not charge you. Ultimately of course, it depends on the evidence.

If you believe the Police are "out to get you" than the above seems senseless. But I think their first job is be safe and make the area safe, and second, to find what happened. Most police officers I know seem like people who would not automatically be against anybody. That's not their job.
    I really don't see where we are in disagreement. I would never advocate total silence unless, of course, one believes oneself to be irrefutably guilty.
    detective likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Since it's very rare for a CPL/CCw license holder to commit a crime of this nature the bad guys gun is most likely not registered or he was carrying it illegally. I would expect that once they have him for a gun crime they are going to be more willing to look at him for armed robbery also.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    i actually oc'ed a 22 revolver for years when i was younger. (before cc laws) i even had to use it a time or two in attempted robbery attempts while working. So, i know one shot from a 22 can stop a bg in his tracks.

If a 22 was all i could afford to buy & practice with, i would carry one gladly!

-

duck!!!! Incoming flames!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I carried a .22 while working undercover.
    (with the full understanding that I'm kidding ...)

It was to give the impression that you were a street punk, amiright?
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links