Moving from SC to VA

Moving from SC to VA

This is a discussion on Moving from SC to VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone. First time poster. Glad I found this forum..... I'm a concealed weapon permit holder in SC, moving to Va next month. I know ...

Moving from SC to VA

Hi everyone. First time poster. Glad I found this forum.....

I'm a concealed weapon permit holder in SC, moving to Va next month. I know they reciprocate, but was wondering if I need to get the VA permit right away or can use my SC permit until close to expiration. And...... if I do need to get my VA permit, can I keep the SC permit as well........ or do I have to turn it in to get the new permit.

Thanks!
    John

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Check here:

Handgunlaw.us

In FL your permit would be honored for 90 days after establishing residency, the quoted time period for issuance of a FL CWFL. After that, your SC permit would no longer be valid. Someone from VA will be along shortly to chime in.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Welcome aboard. And yes, handgunlaws.com.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

I moved from Oklahoma to Virginia. I was able to carry on my Oklahoma permit until I got my VA permit. I applied for a VA permit as soon as I moved here. VA does not have a residency period for applying.

VA has 45 days to issue or deny your permit. If neither has happened in 45 days, you can go to the Circuit Court Clerk and get a temporary permit.

You do not have to surrender your SC permit, but since you will no longer be a resident of SC it won't be valid there (unless you meet the requirements of SC for non-resident permit).
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    IANAL. However, your question may have more to do with SC law than VA's law.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

SECTION 23-31-215.
    Issuance of permits.
    (J) A permit is valid statewide unless revoked because the person has:
    (2) moved his permanent residence to another state and no longer owns real property in this State;
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

You will have to mail your SC permit back to SLED via certified mail also.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And what happen if He uses first class?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Welcome to DC. Hope you like the Mother of Presidents once you get moved and settled! Check out the VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)) as well.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Virginia. I think you'll find Virginia to be a very gun friendly state.

What part if Va. will you be re-locating to?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Welcome to Virginia. If you already know your Virginia address why not give the Circuit Court Clerk of the jurisdiction you will be moving to call. Advise them that you are in the process of moving and the date you intend to be a Virginia resident. There may be a way for you to apply early. I don't know if it will work but nothing beats a try but a success. Again welcome neighbor.

Welcome to the forum and to VA from Southwestern VA. You'll find VA a very gun friendly state. Open carry is legal with or without a permit. CC with a permit. Schools of course are a no no unless in traffic loop to pick up or drop off a child and as long as you and the gun stay in the car. Restaurants that serve alcohol are ok to patronize as long as you're not drinking. One thing different from SC is that you are not required to inform if confronted by a LEO during a traffic stop or whatever.

Again, welcome to the forum and to VA.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

StarPD45
    +1 on VCDL. A very good group.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Welcome to the forum and to VA from Southwestern VA. You'll find VA a very gun friendly state. Open carry is legal with or without a permit. CC with a permit. Schools of course are a no no unless in traffic loop to pick up or drop off a child and as long as you and the gun stay in the car. Restaurants that serve alcohol are ok to patronize as long as you're not drinking. One thing different from SC is that you are not required to inform if confronted by a LEO during a traffic stop or whatever.

Again, welcome to the forum and to VA.

CC in restaurants that serve alcohol are ok as long as you're not drinking. You can drink when OCing.

Quote Originally Posted by StarPD45 View Post
    +1 on VCDL. A very good group.
    Thanks for the pitch.

See you on lobby day, Monday, January 21?

NoWorries and other, hope to see ya'll, too.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links