No-Gun signs in GA - Page 2

No-Gun signs in GA

This is a discussion on No-Gun signs in GA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I can see that, property owners do have their rights....

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: No-Gun signs in GA

Distinguished Member
    Ok, I can see that, property owners do have their rights.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Guess I am just lucky that I was never attacked by a crazed mommy in babies-r-us.
    You never know what might happen, or where it might happen. Chances are none of us will ever get attacked by a "crazed mommy" in babies-r-us. But I'm sure nobody that has ever gone to a movie theater for a midnight showing expects to be attacked by a crazed lunatic. Nobody expects to be attacked by that quiet kid at their school. And nobody expects to be eating dinner at a local restaurant when some crazy walks in and shoots the place up.

Just because it might seem unlikely doesn't mean that we shouldn't always be prepared. Even if it means carrying at babies-r-us because your wife REALLY wants to check out their selection, and their No-Gun sign doesn't have the force of law.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

HKR
    I also live in Georgia. I rarely see a sign, but when I do I make every effort to avoid entering that business.

Rights, it is the property owners RIGHT to say what happens on the owners property. The owner wants no firearms therefore the owner has a right to expect that persons on said property will not have a firearm. You are violating the property owners rights to control their property and what happens on it by ignoring their wishes. Just because it is concealed does not mean it is not there against the expressed (via signage) desire of the property owner. That is their choice and the property owner has every right to expect you to abide by their choices on their property.

As to my "binky" comment, it is meant to laugh at people who cannot seem to function without a firearm at thier side. I lived 30 years without ever having to have a firearm on me, let alone carry one every waking moment. Guess I am just lucky that I was never attacked by a crazed mommy in babies-r-us.
    I think you are being rude to those who don't agree with your thinking. Look in the mirror bud.

I agree with archer51 on this, although you did nothing illegal, I personally would not have done it. Yes, you have a right to carry a firearm, and their sign holds no weight of law, but they do not want firearms on their property. It is a matter of manners, for a lack of better word. They don't want guns, I won't take my gun there. Just as I don't want alcohol in my back yard (pool area with kids around), I am not opposed to drinking, infact I have an excellent wine and beer selectition, we just don't allow it around the pool-booze makes people do stupid stuff and we don't want drama around our pool, we even have no booze signs on the gate. Now, those signs hold no weight of law, but they do have the weight of manners/politeness, I would get very upset if someone violated MY wishes and brought a "concealed flask" to the pool area, and I feel that a property owner (even a business) has the right to say what is allowed on their premises period. No one is forcing you to shop at that store, no one is forcing anyone to use my pool therefore if you want to use the facilities, you abide by the rules. Don't like the rules, work to change them, in the case of a posted store, don't shop there and let the powers that be (owners, managers, corporate hq etc) know WHY you refuse to shop there, if they get enough negative feedback, perhaps the situation will change.

Short answer, to those who say "concealed is concealed and the signs mean nothing" well, they are RULES for being on someone elses property, do you not expect others to obey YOUR rules on YOUR property? Why do you feel exempt from their rules? Ignoring the sign may be legal, but it is also rude.
    good points. and this is why people make little cards that say something like: "I respect your wishes to prohibit firearms on your property, so I will take my business elsewhere. Please be advised that criminals (being lawbreakers) will simply ignore your signs."

Leaving a card like this will allow a person to respectfully leave the premises, truly spend money with a company that welcomes their business, and also takes care of the very important task of communicating to the store that they indeed lost sales because of their sign, and that the sign does absolutely nothing to make them safer. They have a right to know why they are losing sales, and to become educated on their faulty logic about what makes their business safer.
    Ogre likes this.

If it was the Pizza joint downtown, you bet im staying armed. Especially if I have a long walk back to the truck past many dark alleys. If its the one on Washington Road, I might leave my gun behind. Short walk back to the truck in a well lit parking lot regularly patrolled by the local sheriffs office.

Quote Originally Posted by nti06 View Post
    If it was the Pizza joint downtown, you bet im staying armed. Especially if I have a long walk back to the truck past many dark alleys. If its the one on Washington Road, I might leave my gun behind. Short walk back to the truck in a well lit parking lot regularly patrolled by the local sheriffs office.
    You live in the Augusta area as well? It was the pizza joint on Washington, so I was less concerned. I avoid downtown the best I can - especially at night and on the weekends.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    You live in the Augusta area as well? It was the pizza joint on Washington, so I was less concerned. I avoid downtown the best I can - especially at night and on the weekends.
    Yep. Sometimes I wander over to the fancy side of town.

Chances are none of us will ever get attacked by a "crazed mommy" in babies-r-us.
    You haven't been to a Babies-R-us on 'Black Friday' have ya?

Just because it might seem unlikely doesn't mean that we shouldn't always be prepared. Even if it means carrying at babies-r-us because your wife REALLY wants to check out their selection, and their No-Gun sign doesn't have the force of law.
    Yep.

Be quiet and go on about your business, which in B-R-us means I'm with the wife following behind and only offering the approiately-timed "yes ma'am" or "your right, they'd LOVE that". Regardless, my wife only has three reasons for keeping me around, protection and lifting/carrying heavy bags/objects.

I'm heeled wherever I'm at unless it's by force of law carrying is absolutly off-limits. Carry on.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Yep, I'm lucky in that respect. The wife also doesn't like "black Friday" crowds. We're usually in the woods hunting at that time. Plus she carries as well and we both avoid gun unfriendly stores as much as possible or I wait outside while ah shops or vice versa as the case may be. We abide by the wishes of the property owner in any case.

I have a question related to this...

Lets say things got ugly inside of Babies R Us and you were forced to take action with your firearm. Granted the signs hold no legal weight, would it somehow be easier for the state, or store owner, or victim to mount a case against you? Something like, "Well he was not even supposed to be carrying inside the store and it is posted."

I am not familiar with the law, but I am guessing the fact that you had witnessed the sign is not the same as the store owner notifying you personally that carrying was prohibited within his store therefore you would be trespassing?

I live in GA so I would like to fully understand this law before getting my GWL.
    goldshellback and HKR like this.

So basically no one's rights but yours matter? Hmmm interesting proposal...avoid confrontation? How bout avoiding it all together and not violating the wishes of the property OWNER, just avoid going to those places if you can't be without your gunpowder using lead throwing binky. LOL.....
    Does it matter when he disagrees with my First Amendment rights? Hmm, he probably doesnt know most of my opinions. But if I discuss them, and he doesnt like them, he can ask me to leave and I will.

If he sees my firearm and doesnt like it....he can ask me to leave and I will.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Rights, it is the property owners RIGHT to say what happens on the owners property. The owner wants no firearms therefore the owner has a right to expect that persons on said property will not have a firearm. You are violating the property owners rights to control their property and what happens on it by ignoring their wishes. Just because it is concealed does not mean it is not there against the expressed (via signage) desire of the property owner. That is their choice and the property owner has every right to expect you to abide by their choices on their property.

As to my "binky" comment, it is meant to laugh at people who cannot seem to function without a firearm at thier side. I lived 30 years without ever having to have a firearm on me, let alone carry one every waking moment. Guess I am just lucky that I was never attacked by a crazed mommy in babies-r-us.
    Some of us prefer not to risk locking our very expensive 'binkys' in our cars and having them stolen. It's dumb in the extreme to lock up a gun once you have gotten to your destination too. If IF, you ever have to lock ANYTHING of value in your car, which I dont recommend, do it before you reach your destination so no one there sees you do it. I cant tell you how much, how fast, or how efficient car smash & grab thieves are. And cables mean nothing. I covered many many such thefts as a park ranger.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by wberry85 View Post
    I have a question related to this...

Lets say things got ugly inside of Babies R Us and you were forced to take action with your firearm. Granted the signs hold no legal weight, would it somehow be easier for the state, or store owner, or victim to mount a case against you? Something like, "Well he was not even supposed to be carrying inside the store and it is posted."

I am not familiar with the law, but I am guessing the fact that you had witnessed the sign is not the same as the store owner notifying you personally that carrying was prohibited within his store therefore you would be trespassing?

I live in GA so I would like to fully understand this law before getting my GWL.
    Well, the law does NOT prohibit you from carrying in there, so in that regard you'd be 'ok'....... but there MANY other factors to be considered, would charging you with 'something' benifit the Prosocuters political goals? Were your actions actually 'just'? Public opinion (remember, your talking about a hypothetical gun 'event' at Babies-R-Us)

Quick answer, You'd be good-to-go if every action you took in your sceniro was lawful, including carrying in a 'posted' business.

Here is link to look at Georgia's current gun laws. It's a great place to start reviewing and studying the laws you NEED to know........
    Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

....and Wberry, Welcome Aboard the fourm from a Camden County, Ga. resident............. when I'm not deployed.
    HKR likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Some of us prefer not to risk locking our very expensive 'binkys' in our cars and having them stolen. It's dumb in the extreme to lock up a gun once you have gotten to your destination too. If IF, you ever have to lock ANYTHING of value in your car, which I dont recommend, do it before you reach your destination so no one there sees you do it. I cant tell you how much, how fast, or how efficient car smash & grab thieves are. And cables mean nothing. I covered many many such thefts as a park ranger.
    Then it is quite simple, don't go there. No one is forcing you to, if they are then you should complain to THEM about abrogating your rights, not the store owner for expressing his rights to NOT have guns. The property owners rights trump yours on his property plain and simple, it IS his property after all. You said in an earlier post that if asked to leave you would, I posit that the signage is asking you to not even bother coming in the store with your gun. Doing so is abrogating the property owners property rights at the worst and lying at the least (if you are of the "concealed is concealed and what no one knows is no business of theirs" mindset)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links