No-Gun signs in GA - Page 4

No-Gun signs in GA

This is a discussion on No-Gun signs in GA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ArmyMan It's also my right to ignore the sign and carry anyway. And just as you can ignore my signage (RIGHTS) I ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: No-Gun signs in GA

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    It's also my right to ignore the sign and carry anyway.
    And just as you can ignore my signage (RIGHTS) I can ignore yours. Funny how the 2nd gets all your love but all the others do not. The property owner has rights does he not? He does not want guns on his property, what gives you the right to ignore him? I guess I can ignore you and your right to personal property, gimme your gun, you don't have a right to that, you cannot say what is done with it anymore, why? My rights are greater than yours so there....

I want to see ALL signs have the force of LAW, you carry a gun on posted property, you lose your gun. See how stupid that sounds? Just as stupid as asking that all sign posters (1st ammendment) be FINED? What happened to personal property rights? The ability to decide what happens on YOUR property? Better yet, trespassers will be SHOT, there ya go, you are carrying on posted property, you are trespassing....you can then be shot...LOL

I would respect their wishs and let them know why I will never do business with them.

What I am saying is, the kind of thinking that says "I can ignore a property owners wishes" is the same thinking that Anti's use to "ignore" the right to keep and bear arms. YOUR rights are not important in MY world view. What "I" want is more important than what YOU want.

Sounds like you needs laws more like ours ; only the Governors mansion / grounds and Fedl property are illegal to carry on / in . Anyone else , must "post" if they want to bar conceal carry ... per the AG's signage and prescribed manner, and only "buildings" can be posted. There are no restrictions on carrying in a bar, church, school, or anywhere else unless it's posted. Many / most aren't.... and there have been NO issues related to it. Law -abiding citizens.... ironically, stay law-abiding citizens.

The penalty here for carrying past a "legally" posted location is a $50 fine / misdemeanor the first time, $100 the second.

When discussing property rights..... there is a BIG BIG difference between property you and I may own.... and property that is "OPEN TO THE PUBLIC" or a "PUBLIC business".
    Once you open a business to the public, the rules, laws, etc. are all completely different in numerous ways..... and you lose many "rights" you may think you should have, and don't.
    Last edited by Eagleks; October 25th, 2012 at 01:03 AM.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    yes, but he then has the right to call the police and have you arrested for trespassing when he asks you to leave and you stay put.
    ...but not for lawfully carrying a gun.

And why do you assume I would stay put if I were asked to leave?

I can't get in trouble for lawfully carrying a gun. Everyone can already get in trouble for refusing to leave, so there's no reason to have special bans for guns specifically.

Lawfully carrying gun =/= refusing to leave. I hope one day you can see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    And just as you can ignore my signage (RIGHTS) I can ignore yours.
    I don't carry a sign of any sort on my person, so how are you going to ignore it? Or are you referring to a logo on my clothes? You remain free to ignore logos, sure, and I'm not offended when you do.

He does not want guns on his property, what gives you the right to ignore him?
    SD state law. Would you like me to quote it? A business owner's right to ban guns does not supersede the personal right to self defense in SD.

I guess I can ignore you and your right to personal property, gimme your gun, you don't have a right to that, you cannot say what is done with it anymore, why? My rights are greater than yours so there....
    My walking past your sign does not take your property away from you. You lose nothing. In fact, you gain a profit from the business I conduct with you.

I want to see ALL signs have the force of LAW, you carry a gun on posted property, you lose your gun. See how stupid that sounds? Just as stupid as asking that all sign posters (1st ammendment) be FINED? What happened to personal property rights? The ability to decide what happens on YOUR property? Better yet, trespassers will be SHOT, there ya go, you are carrying on posted property, you are trespassing....you can then be shot...LOL
    In SD it's not trespassing, though. Carrying past a sign is not trespassing in SD. It is trespassing if you ask me to leave and I refuse, but even then SD state law requires that I also be committing a felony in addition to the trespassing in order for you to lawfully use lethal force.

South Dakota Codified Laws

It would behoove you to educate yourself on various state laws before making such claims.
    Eagleks likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    Yes, "no-gun" signs on private property have no force of law, but if the owner asks you to leave because you have a gun, and you refuse to leave, well then you are trespassing....which IS a crime.

it is mind boggling how some folks can fight tooth & nail for the 2nd Amendment, but casually disregard and even call for it to be illegal....to defend private-property rights.

mind boggling...and truly lacking in consistensy whatsoever.

I have never read in any gun forum that someone would not leave if asked.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

And just as you can ignore my signage (RIGHTS) I can ignore yours. Funny how the 2nd gets all your love but all the others do not. The property owner has rights does he not? He does not want guns on his property, what gives you the right to ignore him? I guess I can ignore you and your right to personal property, gimme your gun, you don't have a right to that, you cannot say what is done with it anymore, why? My rights are greater than yours so there....

There could be many many things that a business owner doesnt care for. But his property is open to the public. He runs the risk of people that have many things that might offend him....IF he knew about them. He might be enraged by someone's political opinion, he may object to my cell phone, he may not want knives, he may hate my birth control method, he may be offended by my thong underwear, he may want my gun....how is the concealed weapon any different than the other things? It's a public place and just being 'present' on his property, none of those things is offensive or poses a threat unless the person patronizing his business chooses to make those things known.
    ArmyMan likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I have never read in any gun forum that someone would not leave if asked.
    Please notice how pro-sign folks will exchange 'carrying against a sign' with 'refusing to leave if asked' as though they are the same thing.

We anti-sign folks never claimed that we have a right to stay after being asked to leave. We just don't want the signs to carry a criminal charge. Refusing to leave should carry a criminal charge, but lawfully carrying a gun should not.

I live in a State – like Georga - where signs do not carry the force of law.

If a business owner does not want firearms in his/her store, I will respect that. It is nothing less than hypocritical for people to demand one right and then trample another’s. Frankly, to do otherwise betrays a - all too common today – sense of entitlement.

Moreover, why would I want to support a business so misaligned to my beliefs?

There are a lot of people that think we are all a bunch of gun nuts. What they don’t know is most of them are just one violent crime experience away from being pro-gun. In the meantime, we should be good ambassadors for all firearm owners.

I have made cards, that if inclined, I will give to the principle of a business with these signs.
    no guns.jpg
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by 2700 View Post
    It is nothing less than hypocritical for people to demand one right and then trample another’s.
    Exactly my point. A property owner cannot complain about people ignoring their sign, when the owner himself is disrespecting the individual's right to lawfully carry. Gun-buster signs are pure hypocrisy on the part of the property owner and thus I have no problem ignoring them.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Exactly my point. A property owner cannot complain about people ignoring their sign, when the owner himself is disrespecting the individual's right to lawfully carry. Gun-buster signs are pure hypocrisy on the part of the property owner and thus I have no problem ignoring them.
    Incorrect. You have absolutely no "right" to carry on someone’s property. In fact, you don’t have a right to be on someone’s property if they don’t want you there whether you have a firearm or not. What you fail to understand is you are a guest.

The owner is not capable disrespecting your rights in a place where you do not posses them. It is their private property. You don’t have to shop there. It is their property and you are a guest there, and your status as a guest is defined both morally and legally.

Your statement, “I have no problem ignoring them” shows a disrespectful, inconsiderate, sense of entitlement. If more people behave like this, it won't be long before those signs will have the force of law.
    Ogre and tacman605 like this.

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

Incorrect. You have absolutely no "right" to carry on someone’s property. In fact, you don’t have a right to be on someone’s property if they don’t want you there whether you have a firearm or not. What you fail to understand is you are a guest.

The owner is not capable disrespecting your rights in a place where you do not posses them. It is their private property. You don’t have to shop there. It is their property and you are a guest there, and your status as a guest is defined both morally and legally.

Your statement, “I have no problem ignoring them” shows a disrespectful, inconsiderate, sense of entitlement. If more people behave like this, it won't be long before those signs will have the force of law.
    So people have NO rights when they are on the private property of another individual? And NO rights when entering a business open to the public? We give up all our rights at the door?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    So people have NO rights when they are on the private property of another individual? And NO rights when entering a business open to the public? We give up all our rights at the door?
    You possess no "right" to carry a firearm.

"Open to the public" only means the invitation to enter the property is implied. Other than that, it is the same as being on any other private property.

-Albert Einstein

Incorrect. You have absolutely no "right" to carry on someone’s property.
    Not only does every person have an inalienable right to self defense, but my state law reflects this as well.

What you fail to understand is you are a guest.
    The term is "social guest", and no, I'm not there as a social guest, I'm there as a "customer". As a customer I have certain protections while engaging in public commerce.

You don’t have to shop there.
    That doesn't matter. When you open your doors to the public you have to accommodate the public. In this case you don't need to do a single thing to accommodate. No special ramps, nothing.
    The sign itself is an act of disrespect. A mature person has no choice but to ignore it as one ignores all acts of ignorant disrespect. I don't stoop down to the property owner's level by engaging in the silliness, I just ignore it and move on with my day.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links