No-Gun signs in GA - Page 7

No-Gun signs in GA

This is a discussion on No-Gun signs in GA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu @Armyman: if it were legal for someone to own and carry a grenade around you would argue it is alright for ...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: No-Gun signs in GA

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    @Armyman: if it were legal for someone to own and carry a grenade around you would argue it is alright for them to ignore signs and bring them into a theater. For you it is a civil matter. A weapon (grenade or gun) is being carried because it can do harm to someone. A coke is not.
    This is all getting way off topic.

Let's stick with guns, what the law actually says about no-gun signs, and applicable definitions.

Since this thread is concerning signs in GA, try to stick with GA law, as most laws concerning firearms, and other applicable definitions can vary widely from state to state.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Silly to bar them from the property? Make them pay a fine? Might make people start obeying the wishes of the property owner so yeah I think signage should serve as notice and therefor be all that is required to charge with trespass. You were informed of the conditions of being on the property, you should not need a second "warning".

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    This is all getting way off topic.

Let's stick with guns, what the law actually says about no-gun signs, and applicable definitions.

Since this thread is concerning signs in GA, try to stick with GA law, as most laws concerning firearms, and other applicable definitions can vary widely from state to state.
    Sorry, I thoought I was in another thread.. I deleted my post
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Silly to bar them from the property? Make them pay a fine? Might make people start obeying the wishes of the property owner so yeah I think signage should serve as notice and therefor be all that is required to charge with trespass. You were informed of the conditions of being on the property, you should not need a second "warning".
    (b) A person commits the offense of criminal trespass when he or she knowingly and without authority*:

(1) Enters upon the land or premises of another person or into any part of any vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person for an unlawful purpose;

(2) Enters upon the land or premises of another person or into any part of any vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person after receiving, prior to such entry, notice from the owner, rightful occupant, or, upon proper identification, an authorized representative of the owner or rightful occupant that such entry is forbidden; or

(3) Remains upon the land or premises of another person or within the vehicle, railroad car, aircraft, or watercraft of another person after receiving notice from the owner, rightful occupant, or, upon proper identification, an authorized representative of the owner or rightful occupant to depart.

O.C.G.A. § 16-7-21
    "Without authority" means without legal right or privilege or without permission of a person legally entitled to withhold the right.
    No-gun signs do not state that gun carriers cannot enter, it states that their firearms are not allowed. Since the law does not recognize locations with no-gun signs as off-limits, the signs have no legal weight.

So let's review for trespassing:

If you enter for an unlawful purpose, if you enter after receiving notice, prior to entering, that you are not authorized to enter, or if you do not leave when given notice to depart, you are trespassing. Walking past a sign that holds no legal weight, and entering an establishment is not grounds for trespassing in itself.

Also, violation of this law is a misdemeanor. I have yet to find a law that will make the violation of this code section a felony based on the presence of the firearm, but I'm looking.

So everyone knows, the other parts of this criminal trespassing section do not apply to this thread, and are intentional damage of property and that damage is less than $500, or vandalizing military graves or memorials.

More posts with applicable laws to follow.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Sorry, I thoought I was in another thread.. I deleted my post
    I didn't mean to specifically refer to your post as off topic; a lot of the latest posts were. I actually quoted yours because I was going to make a crack about grenade carrying, but decided everything was already off topic enough.
    suntzu likes this.

I didn't mean to specifically refer to your post as off topic; a lot of the latest posts were. I actually quoted yours because I was going to make a crack about grenade carrying, but decided everything was already off topic enough.
    Well, you can make the crack now
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I just want to be able to conduct normal business as a regular law-abiding citizen without being harassed for something which is perfectly legal, peaceful and non-disruptive.

Well, you can make the crack now
    It wasn't a very good one. Something along the lines of questioning which country I was in if I was ever allowed to walk around carrying a grenade.

Sorry for the derailment. Ron White comes to mind.

*Also, violation of this law is a misdemeanor. I have yet to find a law that will make the violation of this code section a felony based on the presence of the firearm, but I'm looking.
    If you are carrying a firearm during the trespass, it might escalate to an armed trespass, which may be a felony in Georgia – other states it is.

This is why it is extremely important that we do all we can to keep States whose signs do not have the force of law from changing. Otherwise, we could find ourselves having a host of trouble just walking into a store after honestly missing the sign.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by 2700 View Post
    If you are carrying a firearm during the trespass, it escalates to an armed trespass, which may be a felony in Georgia – other states it is.
    They have to be asked and then refuse to leave for trespassing to occur in the first place, in GA.
    pittypat21 and 9MMare like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    They have to be asked and then refuse to leave for trespassing to occur in the first place, in GA.
    Why are you obsessing with this? Please just move on.
    suntzu likes this.

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

Why are you obsessing with this? Please just move on.
    Did you note my ability to ignore your disrespect? Did you note that I never personally attacked you, even while you were attacking me?

Your signs are likewise nothing but disrespect for the common person and will go ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Did you note my ability to ignore your disrespect? Did you note that I never personally attacked you, even while you were attacking me?

Your signs are likewise nothing but disrespect for the common person and will go ignored.
    I posted it as nice as I can - "please move on". Holy cow, grow up, get over it and move on.
    suntzu likes this.

-Albert Einstein

I posted it as nice as I can - "please move on". Holy cow, grow up, get over it and move on.
    I see you're back to issuing personal attacks. I will once again ignore them.

This thread is only 104 posts long. This thread is just getting started. vBulliten forum software doesn't even begin to have an indexing problem until 1,000+ posts, so your "move on" comment is quite out of place.

If you are carrying a firearm during the trespass, it might escalate to an armed trespass, which may be a felony in Georgia – other states it is.
    That's what I'm trying to find out. I'm not seeing a law like that in GA so far, but I'm looking. I've actually been distracted since last time I said I was looking, so technically I haven't been looking haha.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links