Another school shooting: Cazenovia, Wisconsin

This is a discussion on Another school shooting: Cazenovia, Wisconsin within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BBC article , Sept 29. Associated Press article, Sept 29. A 15yr old first-year student at a high school came with a shotgun and a ...

Thread: Another school shooting: Cazenovia, Wisconsin

Another school shooting: Cazenovia, Wisconsin

BBC article, Sept 29. Associated Press article, Sept 29.

A 15yr old first-year student at a high school came with a shotgun and a .22 and ended up shooting a teacher. The shooter has been taken into custody. The teacher has since died.

Quotes:
    Ms Rupp described the assailant as a first year student at the school. She said he had few friends and was "just weird in the head".

"He always used to kid around about bringing things to school and hurting kids," she said.

"I don't think there was any way of predicting this," school official Melissa Nigh said.
    Folks must not be very bright. Prediction: That a kid with few friends, obviously "weird in the head" and speaking of hurting others is someone on the edge. Rocket science? Not.

It's way too early to tell, of course, but this sounds suspiciously like dereliction of duty, to me, on the part of the educators/administration that knew of this kid, and on the part of the student's associates who knew of his previous statements but said nothing. With such things heard/known? Sure. Lack of situational awareness and preparedness ... a sheep's best friend.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Why does a 15 year old have unrestricted access to the firearms in the first place.

I am solidly pro-2A. But with rights come responsibilities. The person who owned the firearms used had a responsibility to keep them out of the hands of those who should not have them.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

How about the next time there is a shooter in a school we send in a anti with a "Gun Free School Zone" sign and advise the perp that they are in violation of the law and order them to cease and desist immediately. Yeah like that will happen
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Sheldon...

you've got it wrong...the State's legislature will come up with four more gun laws with further restrictions upon John Q. Citizen...that will solve the problem...NOT!

Stay alert...VOTE!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    I believe it was the Principal who was shot - and has since died today I heard

ret - yes I fear every time we have once of these shooting events - that apart from the obvious tragedy, the Brady Bunch will be thinking up (yet) more ways to inflict control - as if that will change things except for us good guys.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    How do we go about preventing school shootings?

Our first reaction is arm someone in the school. The mere presence of a weapon would be a deterrent. This would be one of the most effective, not only to prevent students, but also to prevent adults (like that moron that did it earlier this week). You would be able to respond promptly with force, no waiting for LEOs & avoiding hostage situations that can & HAVE turned out badly! (children dead & raped!)

Problem is getting it past the parents, school boards & legislators. The parents are going to howl, the school brds. would fight it & the legislators won't allow it. Even if it is caviated with requirements to be properly trained....etc... That won't happen.

As far as today's education system goes, students no longer fear or respect the adult educators. The teachers & principals used to have our fear & respect, we were afraid of what they & OUR PARENTS would do when we misbehaved. Now, sad to say, they don't care. They know teachers aren't allowed to lay a hand on them & their parents won't do anything either.

Our society hasn't evolved, it's de-evolved. Most of it is lack of parenting. Another part is political correctness, we are afraid of hurting someone's feelings & as a result, we have kids who grow up with NO VALUES.

As to the adult miscriants who cause these shootings, the ONLY way to stop them is to keep them out of the schools in the first place. How do you accomplish that? The ONLY way I see is to arm someone(s) in the school to keep them out.

I know in some localities thay have LEOs assigned to schools. In Virginia, they have some officers assigned to the DARE program. Their responsibilties were more aimed at drug prevention, but they are uniformed police & they are armed.

Are there any other ways to prevent these crimes?......maybe, but what is the most effective?

p.s. school shootings aren't something new. There have been dozens going back 100 years in this country. We just hear of more of them now since we have internet, 24hr a day news.....& anti-gunners who want to use these as a way to disarm everybody. There may be an increase in the number of them, but that is probably due to 2 major factors, 1) greater population now then in the past, 2) 'more advertising', the news puts these stories out & it gives more BGs the idea that 'hey, I could do that'.
    Last edited by goawayfarm; September 30th, 2006 at 04:21 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

This is a very good read on this very subject! I agree with all of it. It is a long read but a good read. goawayfarm hit it square on the head!

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2006/09/29/...d-in-progress/

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    I've seen a newspaper account that said the assailant pried open his parents' gun cabinet to get the firearms. I have also seen accounts that he was a special education student (and that school personnel identified him as such to the media )...you educators out there know what that means.

If he was a special education student, there may not have been much that administration and faculty could have done to prevent this. Under current law, essentially no one has any rights if they conflict with those of a special education student.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Why does a 15 year old have unrestricted access to the firearms in the first place.

I am solidly pro-2A. But with rights come responsibilities. The person who owned the firearms used had a responsibility to keep them out of the hands of those who should not have them.

Matt
    Actually for the shottie it looks like he broke into a gun cabinet (probably one of those cheapo Homack types) and got the pistol from the bedstand. Smart move, dad. I always lock my night gun up before I leave for work in the morning.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    You educators out there know what that means.

If he was a special education student, there may not have been much that administration and faculty could have done to prevent this. Under current law, essentially no one has any rights if they conflict with those of a special education student.
    Yup. I'm a teacher and all of the most violent kids (aside from the convicted felons) in my school are special ed. There is an out for a principal: He can move the programs away but that means he has to turn down the MASSIVE influx of federal funding (far more than what is needed to support any program --read--incentive or bribe) that will then go to another area school. Most don't have the guts to do this. Especially in the inner city where I am.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    This is a very good read on this very subject! I agree with all of it. It is a long read but a good read. goawayfarm hit it square on the head!

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2006/09/29/...d-in-progress/

Ti.

Good article, he says the same thing I did but he does a much better job of it.......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Links