CWP Class

CWP Class

This is a discussion on CWP Class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife brought up something on her own this morning that was music to my ears. She agreed a few weeks ago that we should ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ArmedPreacher
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Chief1297
  • 1 Post By Adam_SDG
  • 1 Post By joker1

Thread: CWP Class

CWP Class

My wife brought up something on her own this morning that was music to my ears. She agreed a few weeks ago that we should get a gun for her to car carry. I've been wanting her to get her CWP but haven't pressed the issue. She stated this morning that she wants to take the required class with me when I go. Victory!!! Now, is there a certain thing I should look for in a class so that I know it's going to be a quality learning experience?
    joker1 likes this.

Every state's different on what it requires as part of the CHL-related training, if training is required at all. The statutes in some states spell out exactly what should be covered, ie: the relevant carry laws; use-of-force laws; firearms/safety competency.

My suggestion: develop your own list of specific, hard-hitting questions ahead of time, that you'll want to get answered. You might even be able to contact the instructor(s) in advance, to get the scoop on exactly what will and won't be covered, and possibly to make suggestions about some of the things you'd most like answers to. Whether you're paying a nickel or $100, you want to ensure you get your money's worth. After all, a lot's on the line when you take up the responsibility for carrying a deadly force tool with you.

At minimum, I'd recommend getting absolutely clear on the following basic areas:

• Use Of Force -- The requirements for and limitations of the lawful use of force (and specifically use of deadly force).

• The "reasonable man" standard -- how it's used in your state, related to situations in which you've had to defend yourself against unlawful attack.

• "Castle," Stand Your Ground, and Duty To Retreat statutes -- Understand to what extent these apply in your state. If applicable, know them cold. It's as important to understand when they don't apply to a situation as it is to understand when they do.

• Disparity of Force -- Understand the standards as they apply in your state.

• "Printing," and related "menacing" type statutes -- Understand whether openly and/or unintentionally displaying a weapon equates to menacing or (the catch-all) "going armed to the terror of the public" (aka, GATTP).

• Home/Property/Car/Elsewhere -- Understand the use-of-force statutes as they vary depending on the place you happen to be, with respect to the limitations on the use of force. It can be surprising just how convoluted certain spots can be, in some states. Get it clear.

• Gun Safety, Handling, Carry tips -- If covered, it's always good to get input in these areas, particularly if you're new to carrying, and very particularly if you're relatively new to firearms.

• Plain-language Guide -- If a lawyer/guru type person has written a plain-language guide to your state's weapons/carry laws (ie, Gutmacher's book in Florida about that state's laws), pick up a copy and read it a couple times.

• Printed List of Statutes -- Come with a printed list of the basic statutes related to carry of weapons and use-of-force. Invariably, you're going to hear a number of things that'll bring up new questions, and you will want to refer to the relevant statutes to make your point or clarify what you just heard.

Have fun! Glad you're going to have your partner along. Kudos on that.
    ArmedPreacher likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Every state's different on what it requires as part of the CHL-related training, if training is required at all. The statutes in some states spell out exactly what should be covered, ie: the relevant carry laws; use-of-force laws; firearms/safety competency.

My suggestion: develop your own list of specific, hard-hitting questions ahead of time, that you'll want to get answered. You might even be able to contact the instructor(s) in advance, to get the scoop on exactly what will and won't be covered, and possibly to make suggestions about some of the things you'd most like answers to. Whether you're paying a nickel or $100, you want to ensure you get your money's worth. After all, a lot's on the line when you take up the responsibility for carrying a deadly force tool with you.

At minimum, I'd recommend getting absolutely clear on the following basic areas:

• Use Of Force -- The requirements for and limitations of the lawful use of force (and specifically use of deadly force).

• The "reasonable man" standard -- how it's used in your state, related to situations in which you've had to defend yourself against unlawful attack.

• "Castle," Stand Your Ground, and Duty To Retreat statutes -- Understand to what extent these apply in your state. If applicable, know them cold. It's as important to understand when they don't apply to a situation as it is to understand when they do.

• Disparity of Force -- Understand the standards as they apply in your state.

• "Printing," and related "menacing" type statutes -- Understand whether openly and/or unintentionally displaying a weapon equates to menacing or (the catch-all) "going armed to the terror of the public" (aka, GATTP).

• Home/Property/Car/Elsewhere -- Understand the use-of-force statutes as they vary depending on the place you happen to be, with respect to the limitations on the use of force. It can be surprising just how convoluted certain spots can be, in some states. Get it clear.

• Gun Safety, Handling, Carry tips -- If covered, it's always good to get input in these areas, particularly if you're new to carrying, and very particularly if you're relatively new to firearms.

• Plain-language Guide -- If a lawyer/guru type person has written a plain-language guide to your state's weapons/carry laws (ie, Gutmacher's book in Florida about that state's laws), pick up a copy and read it a couple times.

• Printed List of Statutes -- Come with a printed list of the basic statutes related to carry of weapons and use-of-force. Invariably, you're going to hear a number of things that'll bring up new questions, and you will want to refer to the relevant statutes to make your point or clarify what you just heard.

Have fun! Glad you're going to have your partner along. Kudos on that.

For the most part I like your list, but I think I would add a few more although I'm sure they would bb covered, they are important to know:

Need to inform LEO if stopped.

Gun free zones and if they apply to your CPL.

Gun Busters signs, do they carry weight of law, is there an required size, wording etc.

These seem to be the things that get most discussion here.

Every time my wife says anything about carrying or buying a new gun, it is after I upset her in some way. I am sure it is just coincidence but...lol.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

On Saturday mornings Mrs. Ghost Tracker regularly asks if we should go shooting or fishing? I am an inordinately lucky man. As for what to look for in a permit class? Call a local attorney & ask who he calls-in as a expert witness in firearm cases. Then call that guy & ask him for an instructor recommendation. Serious shooters always know serious shooters.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Why not shooting, then fishing?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Fish in the morning, THEN go shooting.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

I ended up having to take two clases, so here is what I learned. My Iowa license isn't accepted by all the states surrounding me. After research I found I needed a Utah and Arizona non resident permit to go along with my home state license (Iowa). The first class I took wasn't Utah certified so I took a class from Legal Heat (and loved it). Legal Heat is the website but doesnt look like they do clases in South Carolina.

I would check out Handgunlaw.us to check the reciprocity and see if there are other states you might want to apply for non Resident license. Your SC will not allow you to carry in Georgia or Alabama. If you get Utah you woudl add Georgia, Alabama, and others.

If you travel at all, you may want to find a Utah certified class. It should work for your home state license and also Utah Non-resident but you'd want to research this first.

Printed List of Statutes -- Come with a printed list of the basic statutes related to carry of weapons and use-of-force. Invariably, you're going to hear a number of things that'll bring up new questions, and you will want to refer to the relevant statutes to make your point or clarify what you just heard.
    This is the most important thing in my opinion. Do not trust your life or freedom on what some instructor tells you. Some are good but others, though hopefully well meaning, are just full of it.
    Look up everything the instructor tells you yourself. Read the whole law on self defense for your State.

Michael

May want to look into classes geared toward women or taught by women, may increse her comfort. Along with the above suggestions.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Links