Have you had SD training or do you plan to?

This is a discussion on Have you had SD training or do you plan to? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking about this for a little while and just thought it would make a nice discussion. Have you ever had any self ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Have you had SD training or do you plan to?

I have been thinking about this for a little while and just thought it would make a nice discussion. Have you ever had any self defense pistol training? I mean an actual class with certified instructors. If you have not, do you plan to in the future? Why or why not? Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, there are not too many instructors or courses. I often see some pretty dangerous things when I go to the local range and even while talking to my friend.

I have not had any instruction. Fortunately, for everyone around me, I am big on getting what education I can in anything I do. I have scoured the internet for videos, articles, and anything that could help me be a responsible and effective CCW owner. I even plan on attending a class and becoming a certified instructor to help others be safe and get the necessary training to protect themselves, their family, and the general public.

One of my favorite resources is The Personal Defense Network. I really like Rob Pincus and hope to attend one of his classes in the future. That could be a fun vacation, huh?

VIP Member
    I have attended several pistol courses at Tactical Defense Institute, near West Union, Ohio, and intend to attend several more next year. The instruction there goes well beyond the scope of anything readily absorbed from a website or thru instructional videos. I'm sure the same holds true for other similar facilities and instructors.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I took a basic pistol and advanced pistol class with an NRA instructor. He offers one more advanced class that I will take from him. I shoot IDPA and USPSA matches which does help with pistol handling. Eventually I would like to take more SD classes. Perhaps a carbine or shotgun class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The instruction there goes well beyond the scope of anything readily absorbed from a website or thru instructional videos. I'm sure the same holds true for other similar facilities and instructors.
    I totally agree!! I have had so many people look at me strange when I work on special drills designed to teach the shooter how to recognize a threat before engaging that threat. And knowing that I have never attended a course makes me worry about being accidentally shot by someone else who has had no training whatsoever or even thought about it. The scariest thing I see all the time is when I go to renew my permit every year, I see these 70 and 80 year old little old ladies who hide a gun in their purse who have had zero training. I witnessed a gun sale where the salesman sold a Kel-Tec P-32 to an old lady and loaded it for her because she didn't know how to work the gun! That is why I want to learn everything I can and become a certified instructor.

I should have set this up as a poll. But then I think I would have scared a lot of us...lol

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamSean View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a little while and just thought it would make a nice discussion. Have you ever had any self defense pistol training? I mean an actual class with certified instructors. If you have not, do you plan to in the future? Why or why not? Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, there are not too many instructors or courses. I often see some pretty dangerous things when I go to the local range and even while talking to my friend.

I have not had any instruction. Fortunately, for everyone around me, I am big on getting what education I can in anything I do. I have scoured the internet for videos, articles, and anything that could help me be a responsible and effective CCW owner. I even plan on attending a class and becoming a certified instructor to help others be safe and get the necessary training to protect themselves, their family, and the general public.

One of my favorite resources is The Personal Defense Network. I really like Rob Pincus and hope to attend one of his classes in the future. That could be a fun vacation, huh?
    Try to find a self-defense pistol area in your local area first before wasting gas on long travels. Just recently, I attended a CC pistol class at my local area and I learnd a lot more from this than any firearms instruction that I have ever taken. It consisted of 3 hrs. of clasroom and 4 hrs. of combat shooting and other drills on the range.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Afterwards, you can later take other advanced courses in your local area. To also help keep your skills sharp, you can also participate in local combat shooting competition.

Jason Storm, I know where you are coming from, but we have no training courses offered anywhere within 100 miles of here. I have looked. We have this new really nice indoor range, but as far as I can tell, no classes. As soon as they offer them, I am so there!

Hoover Tactical Firearms | Hoover Tactical Firearms

Correction, I just saw they now have NRA Certified instructors. Sweet!

However, all I see is the basic handgun course. I am looking for some more advanced courses. My friend is a Police Officer and I can operate more types of handguns than he can at a higher level of efficiency and shoot much better.

It really is sad when a civilian with a Kel-Tec P-11 can outshoot a Police Officer with a Smith & Wesson M&P...lol

Yes, I've had military training, combat training, and LEO training.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Correction, I just saw they now have NRA Certified instructors. Sweet!
    Don't take this the wrong way, anyone, but NRA certification in and of itself isn't necessarily indicative of shooting or teaching knowledge and skill.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Afterwards, you can later take other advanced courses in your local area. To also help keep your skills sharp, you can also participate in local combat shooting competition.
    This is also on my plate. Its rather expensive to participate in such activities so I must wait until I can afford it, but really want to shoot IDPA.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    30 years ago when I first got a carry license and had never heard of an SD class I asked about where you got that kind of training I was told to "hang out at the ranges". When I moved out of that county into one that did not issue permits, it became a moot point. Now that I'm back in a county that does issue, and I'm looking for a carry specific class. What Ive found so far are geared toward the mechanics of pistol shooting, not so much carry and SD. Not that they wouldn't help me! Just not what I'm looking for. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    30 years ago when I first got a carry license and had never heard of an SD class I asked about where you got that kind of training I was told to "hang out at the ranges". When I moved out of that county into one that did not issue permits, it became a moot point. Now that I'm back in a county that does issue, and I'm looking for a carry specific class. What Ive found so far are geared toward the mechanics of pistol shooting, not so much carry and SD. Not that they wouldn't help me! Just not what I'm looking for. DR
    Bingo! You hit the nail on the head! That is what I am also looking for.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Jason Storm, I know where you are coming from, but we have no training courses offered anywhere within 100 miles of here. I have looked.
    I'm taking a MAG-40 class in Live Oak, FL starting October 25th. That is only 425 miles from you and 2250 from me.

I'm making it a vacation with "She Who Must Be Obeyed"!

I know there are classes in GA, but you may have to travel! I have permits in NV., UT., and FL. so I line out our trip(s) to cover those state where we're welcome!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links