Curious on your opinion...

This is a discussion on Curious on your opinion... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by F350 Change schools to one in Colorado , the State Supreme Court recently ruled that colleges and universities CAN NOT ban students ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Curious on your opinion...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Change schools to one in Colorado, the State Supreme Court recently ruled that colleges and universities CAN NOT ban students with CCWs from having their guns on campus including residence halls, it's great living in a free state.

The wife is director of the library here and one of her employees is having trouble with a stalker and she had a meeting with the security people and told them "Just so you know, I have my CCW and I will be carrying my gun on campus". The university VP over security said "You do what ever you feel you have to keep everyone safe". Ain't it great!!!
    Miss this part? "Besides switch schools, since moving to Utah or Colorado isn't really plausible."

Smitty901: "First year many school require you to live on campus." And missed this? "I just returned to college for the year "

OP, best bet is carry spray (if legal) or move off campus.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    Thoughts on what some of you would do in my situation?
    Be armed with other weapons, methods, ones that won't get you in hot water in terms of your enrollment at that school.

Be more cognizant of riskier areas, times. Go around with others, as much as possible.

In your state, is it unlawful to be armed with a concealed firearm on campus, or merely against school policy? Either way, realize that the school likely holds your continuing enrollment as a student over your head, irrespective of the legality of carrying, if indeed they disallow firearms. Be aware, too, that getting booted from a university for reason of weaponry isn't something the new school you'd then go to would likely approve of. Something to consider, if firearms/carry is lawful in your state but disallowed by the school.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'd prioritize classes, learning, grades, and giving a good impression to your profs. Those're what'll make the big difference in your life. As well, feel free to take up sprinting as a form of SD training; it's perfectly okay to win a fight by a few blocks
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful posts, i appreciate it. Sorry i have been away for a while again.

To clear up a few things...

-It is technically ON campus because the building is located just as it sounds, ON campus. However it is not considered CAMPUS housing as the university does not control it. Its basically a building that is marketed towards students, but that you don't have to be a student to live at.

-It is legal here (Oregon) to carry on campus. It is against school policy to allow concealed carry on campus. A little bit of research will show its still somewhat up in the air as to whether the school is even allowed to make a policy like that, as the Oregon State Legislature struck down a policy here banning CCW a few years ago that was exactly the same as the one in place now.

-I've contacted Students for Concealed Carry and they don't have a chapter at my school. I would be willing to start one here but im somewhat hesitant because im afraid there might be repercussions from this ultra-liberal school.

-I carry OC spray now and am in shape so i can move quickly, but have had difficulty finding force-on-force training in the area.

-LASTLY, seemed like there was confusion as to whether i was even 21? Well i am and hold a valid CPL in WA.

Oh and thanks OldVet for paying attention!
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

If you are at a decent sized school odds are they have some type of boxing/MMA/Judo/Jiu Jitsu club. Join one of those and learn some unarmed self defense.. It is phenomenal exercise, usually a decent group of guys, and very practical because you can't always have a gun on your person. I don't compete or anything but I have enjoyed this training immensely, and my Jiu Jitsu/ Judo instructor does occasional force on force seminars for police officers. Usually it is pretty inexpensive as well. Best wishes.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    So I haven't visited the forum in a few weeks now. I just returned to college for the year and we are forbidden from carrying concealed or even keeping firearms in our place of residence, (since my building is technically on campus, but not campus housing), so I cannot carry now.

Thoughts on what some of you would do in my situation? Besides switch schools, since moving to Utah or Colorado isn't really plausible.
    Abide by the law. Do you really want to risk a weapons charge on your record and possibly say bye-bye to firearms?

If you are concerned about your safety, determine if you can carry non-lethal defensive weapons (OC spray, for example).

As others have noted, you can also try to get the university to change its policy. Good luck with that.

My view on carrying is this: I carry where and when I can legally do so. Otherwise, I don't. Chances of being a victim of a violent crime are small....

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    If you are at the school I think you are, then you are right. They probably can't make the policy that they did. It is legal to carry in OR at schools, but you do need an OR permit. You only said you have a WA permit. This is not good in OR. If your permanent residence is in WA, you can still get an OR license, just find the right county to apply to. Linn Co. sherrif is willing to give permits for the purpose of self-defense.

But it sounds like your question is not so much is it legal, but should you violate the school's policy(that may or may not be legal for them to have). You just have to weigh your options. Is it worth it to you to risk your education to have a firearm on you at all times? Most likely on a college campus, all you need is to be aware of your surroundings, and not drunk, and the bad guys will look for an easier target. But being a target rich environment does attract crazies. I survived school down there before I started carrying, but that choice is up to you.

As far as the SCC goes, if you decide to carry, probably don't get involved. If you decide not to carry, definitly get involved.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    If you are at the school I think you are, then you are right. They probably can't make the policy that they did. It is legal to carry in OR at schools, but you do need an OR permit. You only said you have a WA permit. This is not good in OR. If your permanent residence is in WA, you can still get an OR license, just find the right county to apply to. Linn Co. sherrif is willing to give permits for the purpose of self-defense.

But it sounds like your question is not so much is it legal, but should you violate the school's policy(that may or may not be legal for them to have). You just have to weigh your options. Is it worth it to you to risk your education to have a firearm on you at all times? Most likely on a college campus, all you need is to be aware of your surroundings, and not drunk, and the bad guys will look for an easier target. But being a target rich environment does attract crazies. I survived school down there before I started carrying, but that choice is up to you.

As far as the SCC goes, if you decide to carry, probably don't get involved. If you decide not to carry, definitly get involved.
    What you said is basically what i've decided, that its probably not worth the risk of being expelled to be carrying at all times. Life is all about managing risk right, so it's a risk i'll have to take. And as far as an OR permit goes, the Multnomah County Sheriff's (Portland area which you probably know, but you probably can guess what college is in question here) website says that they shall issue to WA residents since we are a contiguous state. So within the next few weeks i'll apply and get that taken care of.

Also Bgusty, that's a great idea on checking for classes offered by the school, i'll definitely look into it.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links