Curious on your opinion...

This is a discussion on Curious on your opinion... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I haven't visited the forum in a few weeks now. I just returned to college for the year and we are forbidden from carrying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Curious on your opinion...

Curious on your opinion...

So I haven't visited the forum in a few weeks now. I just returned to college for the year and we are forbidden from carrying concealed or even keeping firearms in our place of residence, (since my building is technically on campus, but not campus housing), so I cannot carry now.

Thoughts on what some of you would do in my situation? Besides switch schools, since moving to Utah or Colorado isn't really plausible.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I can't post my true thoughts on this one.
    lyz_grace, DIRO305 and GrandZJ like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Copy Mike. Same with my thoughts on church carry.
    DIRO305 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Move off campus.
    PatAz and atctimmy like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    If you can't move schools, at least move off campus. Either way, abide by the law in your jurisdiction.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

First year many school require you to live on campus.
    Find a new school

VIP Member
    As others have said move out of campus housing.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    So I haven't visited the forum in a few weeks now. I just returned to college for the year and we are forbidden from carrying concealed or even keeping firearms in our place of residence, (since my building is technically on campus, but not campus housing), so I cannot carry now.

Thoughts on what some of you would do in my situation? Besides switch schools, since moving to Utah or Colorado isn't really plausible.
    Change schools to one in Colorado, the State Supreme Court recently ruled that colleges and universities CAN NOT ban students with CCWs from having their guns on campus including residence halls, it's great living in a free state.

The wife is director of the library here and one of her employees is having trouble with a stalker and she had a meeting with the security people and told them "Just so you know, I have my CCW and I will be carrying my gun on campus". The university VP over security said "You do what ever you feel you have to keep everyone safe". Ain't it great!!!
    MisterAvis, BurgerBoy and joker1 like this.

Assuming you cannot immediately move, start carrying pepper spray if you don't already do so.

Start a petition to allow legal carry on campus.
    Conduct a debate on the merits of personal defense and ride that pony till it drops!
    Pistology and DIRO305 like this.

If you're not 21 yet, the question of carrying is moot as you're not eligible for a CCW in WA. But how is it that you are not in campus housing, yet "technically" on campus? If non-college people are in the same structure, are they bound by the same rules?

It comes down to priorities. If having a defensive firearm available is important to you, then moving off-campus seems to be the logical solution. But since you can't carry on campus, you'll have to come up with alternative solutions for when you're on campus and in transit to and from. Careful choices of where you go, time of day and people with whom you associate are vital to your "big picture" of personal security. Remember that a firearm is just one part of that solution, so consider alternative solutions with the critical eye that a college education is supposed to inspire.
    Rock and Glock and Pistology like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

First thing you must do is realize that the absence of a firearm does not equate to defenseless. You need to familiarize yourself with other forms of self defense. As already mentioned, pepper or OC spray is a good start followed by some basic force on force training. Look into what IS allowed in your situation, some campuses allow tasers, and other forms of self defense.

The answer to your question should be the same as the answer to the question of what would you do if you WERE armed, had to present deadly force and were met with a click instead of a bang. If your firearm went south do you throw up your hands and submit or do you revert to the other tools you have thought ahead of time to become proficient with?
    ccw9mm and DIRO305 like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

You might want to check with the college for a written copy of there rule. Also if there is campus security obtain a written copy from them.

Students for Concealed Carry
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Looks like your best option, if it is available to you is to move off campus. Also look into less than lethal defensive weapons.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Adapt to your environment to do the best that you can with what you have where you are. You already said that moving to CO is not an option. My suggestion: visit the gym or the track. Don't sweat forbidden carry.
    If someone invites you to speak about it, then give 'em both barrels. Otherwise, live and let live. Focus on the books....
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links