On my drive into work today. . .

This is a discussion on On my drive into work today. . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an hour drive into work everyday and today I was thinking about a couple ways how I can be made. My uncle is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On my drive into work today. . .

I have an hour drive into work everyday and today I was thinking about a couple ways how I can be made. My uncle is kinda into guns and his boss is crazy into gunns. Well whn I first got my CCW my uncle wanted to see wht I was carrying so whn I showed him (still in my holster) he asked if I had one in the chamber. I said yes and he said that I shld never have one in the chamber because his boss tht has been carrying for yrs bumbed his gun and had an AD.

So my questions:
    Is there anyone affraid of an AD while you are carrying in public or at work?

If it does happen what would be your reaction and wht will you do to calm people down?

Also what are the odds of you bumbing your gun and it AD?

I kinda don't know how I would react so that is why I am asking.

Scary situation. I feel as long as you all always conscious of where it is and what your doing, the chances are slim, but yes, im always conscious of it. Im not really sure what i would do if it happened to me, one of those "at me moment" things. If i could guess, i would probably start by letting everyone know that it was me, with hands about chest high, palms out. Maybe id go ahead and call LE, someone is goin to do it, so it might as well be me so they can go ahead and come to fill out a report. But thats me and every situation is different.

We've wrestled this issue to death on the forum. You new guys haven't seen those threads because they're archived, I'll bet. But since I'm a public school teacher, I don't worry 'cause I can't carry on the job. However, I've been carrying for 29 years and I'm an instructor. Just the preponderance of training and experience shows me what to do and what not to do so that it's second nature to prevent an accident. If you carry a revolver cocked...you're asking for trouble and you'll eventually get the AD...which is actually an UD. Nothing accidental. When the trigger is pulled the gun goes BANG. However such an incident is certainly UNINTENTIONAL. UD.

There are VERY few if any modern firearms that are at risk for this specific kind of UD. My guess is (I teach Psychology) that the uncle is projecting an uncertainty and nervousness at carrying the weapon in the first place onto the weapon itself. Imagine the media coverage and lawsuits that would result if this were even a semiregular occurrence! The Federal legislation wouldn't prevent this lawsuit, because the issue at hand really would be reliability of design and consumer safety!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Every gun I carry is Function/Safety checked before it goes
    in my holster. ( by me )
    My carry gun will NOT be leaving the holster unless I am
    Defending myself. ( or at home at end of day )

Therefore , My piece is always ready to go, and I accept and
    act with that responsibility in mind.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Don't Ever Point It...

at anything you don't want to destroy...things will be fine!
    Guns don't go off by themselves...WE are responsible for our OUR own actions.

On a much sadder note...you have to work on Saturday?

Stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree

I agree with the others that an AD is very unlikely to occur just because you have one in the chamber. I've never heard of a modern gun going off with just a bump. It's the same ole story of a gun that jumps out of the safe and starts killing people that the gun control freaks like to talk about. In fact, I've heard of tests done with loaded guns being dropped from a certain height to see if they could get the gun to fire. I wouldn't worry about it. I've carried for 10 years, a round is always in the chamber with the safety on. So far, no problems.
    "If you want security, buy a gun. If you want freedom, carry it. If you want logevity, learn how to use it." Woody
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle." Barry Goldwater

So my questions:
    Is there anyone affraid of an AD while you are carrying in public or at work?
    Not at all
    If it does happen what would be your reaction and wht will you do to calm people down?
    What was that noise??? did someone light a firecracker?

Also what are the odds of you bumbing your gun and it AD?
    With the HK USP you have to do something really stupid to get a AD . Hammer down with one in the pipe you have to put some serious pressure on the trigger to make it go bang. I never carry cocked and safety on, it is just inviting trouble.
    Last edited by Sheldon J; September 30th, 2006 at 06:21 PM.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

There is a lovely video on the net about a DEA agent who is giving a lesson to a group of elementary students when he pulls the trigger of his Glock and BANG!! a round goes off shooting himself in the foot. While this has been the butt of many jokes and threads on various forums, one thing is left out that most people don't recognize. He remains CALM. His first concern is for the others in the room and then his self.

Your demeanor is paramount in a situation like this. If you panic, everyone else will as well. Remain calm, check your surroundings, especially the people. If anyone is alarmed by this event, it would be your responsibility to calm that individual down.

Jonathancase mentioned calling LE. While that sounds like a good idea, get someone else, preferably someone who is calm and controlled to call. When LE arrives, step to a private/semi-private location to explain the event and fill out whatever paperwork is necessary.

If the weapon is not siezed for evidence, and it was a weapons malfunction, once home, figure out what the problem was, but retire that weapon immediately until its problem can be addressed and repaired.

Remember the safety rules and you will not have any problems. The gun remains in the holster (complete trigger cover) until I take it off at night.

Note: A gun without one in the chamber is a very short club!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have to carry with one in the chamber at work so it makes more sense to carry off the clock as well! When that B.G. attempts to steal what I'm being paid to protect, it helps to have my carry at condition 1.
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

40 years with 1911 cocked and locked, no Ad or Ud , have bumped gun, fallen, thrown from horse, rolled tractor and been in auto accidents while carrying. If the gun is in proper working condition and holstered properly very little chance of the gun firing .

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    40 years with 1911 cocked and locked, no Ad or Ud , have bumped gun, fallen, thrown from horse, rolled tractor and been in auto accidents while carrying. If the gun is in proper working condition and holstered properly very little chance of the gun firing .
    While I don't have nearly the number of years as you do (not saying you're old, but I'm on the same boat. I'm going on 6 years with a 1911 cocked and locked with no AD's or UD's. I've been in 2 auto accidents with it on, fallen off of a ladder a few times with it on, fallen into a stream with it on, various working conditions where the butt is bumped, pushed, and proded and still no issues. Nevermind that I just beat a dead horse - sorry guys.

Ya got to be carfull about beating dead horses . Sometimes they kick.

Get a gun your comfortable with. If you fear an AD my suggestion is to get a DA pistol with a heavy trigger pull. Some of the compact pistols made for ccw come standard with pretty loooong trigger pulls. An AD has crossed my mind, but so do other silly thoughts. Guns are pretty safe, people however...
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Ya' know its funny how those guns just jump up and start shooting people all by themselves....funny thing is I've never seen it happen.

Nor have I seen an AD. I cannot remember who it was that stated that some guns were dropped from heights to see about misfires. That was what Glock did. Still no misfires.
    Lady Valerian

I have 2 guns - one for each of ya'. Tombstone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links