opps, poor planning makes for poor performance, or however that goes.

This is a discussion on opps, poor planning makes for poor performance, or however that goes. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two weeks ago the wife and I went on a little vacation. We decided to go to Cincinnati. There is a renaissance fair near there ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: opps, poor planning makes for poor performance, or however that goes.

opps, poor planning makes for poor performance, or however that goes.

Two weeks ago the wife and I went on a little vacation. We decided to go to Cincinnati. There is a renaissance fair near there and a museum in Kentucky that we wanted to go to.

I got her car checked out, had to replace the catalitic converter and cross over pipe. I also made sure the GPS was working in it, last time we tried it we had a power connection issue in her car. That all checked out OK.

As a back up I did print out google maps driving to the hotel we were staying at and the museum. However I didn't look to closely at the maps, relying on the GPS.

I also went to Handgunlaw.us and printed out the rules for CCW in Kentucky and Ohio. They both honor my Michigan CPL.

On the day we went to Kentucky I am following the GPS directions and I see a sign, Welcome to Indiana. Opps, I didn't realize we had to cross into Indiana!

Luckily MY CPL is also good in Indiana. I mentioned this to my wife and told her that I believe there is also a federal law allowing transsport through another state as long as you do not make an extended stay in that state. We only had to drive about 5 miles before we entered Kentucky so it wasn't a big deal. (CAN SOMEONE PROVIDE A LINK TO FEDERAL LAW CONCERNING PASSING THRU A STATE).

Next time I'll look at a real State map and make sure I know my route a little better.

All in all a real nice trip.

2. Remove Ads

Stuff happens. Glad you had a good trip.

Mapquest tells me to go the wrong way down a one way street leaving my old house.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I do not have a link for the federal stuff you requested, but here is a link to a Reciprocity map, glad it worked out.....

MCRGO - Michigan Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Any visit to Kentucky is time well spent. We're mighty glad to have ya'! As for Federal Laws regarding privately-owned guns passing thru a state, I believe it's up to the individual state to determine & enforce those laws. Federal Law primarily addresses issues on the transport of guns across state lines for the purpose of SALE. In my non-lawyerly opinion, unless I cross Illinois, New York or Massachusetts I don't worry too much about it. But any more, I don't even go to town very often.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A paper map would have shown the IN state line. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur, but I always find my way without satellite assistance.
    GH likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You could pass through a state that doesnt honor your conceal license but you cant' make any non-travel related stops. You also need to lock up your gun without any ammo and place in trunk or far from your person. The ammo should be stored separately and away from the locked gun box. I believe the gun box must be a hardcase. Someone will have to link the actual law (can't find it at the moment).

Here is a link to another thread, looks like ammo doesn't have to be separate for Illinois.

Transporting a Firearm through Illinois (State Police Answered my E-Mail)

Just did a google search and found this:

18 USC 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

18 USC 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. "

SO the kicker here is the gun and ammo need to be locked up. You can't concealed carry while driving through Illinois even if your not getting out of your car. As I said my Michigan CPL is valid in Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Just did a google search and found this:

18 USC 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

18 USC 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. "

SO the kicker here is the gun and ammo need to be locked up. You can't concealed carry while driving through Illinois even if your not getting out of your car. As I said my Michigan CPL is valid in Indiana.
    Yeah that is what I was looking for. If you have a smartphone, check out Legal Heat's app. It has every state on it and is updated often with concealed carry and open carry laws. That way you always have the latest info if you're on the road.

You must have gone to the creation museum
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I do not have a link for the federal stuff you requested, but here is a link to a Reciprocity map, glad it worked out.....
    I am envious of Michigan's reciprocity map. Every state that honors an out of state permit honors Michigan's permit, even the ones with tiny reciprocity lists like Maine. Too bad Michigan doesn't issue non-resident permits.

Links