Things your instructor told you

This is a discussion on Things your instructor told you within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu I question authority all the time. My professor doc'ed me points on a paper saying what I wrote was incorrect even ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Things your instructor told you

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I question authority all the time. My professor doc'ed me points on a paper saying what I wrote was incorrect even though I had references to back my assertion. In fact, he was wrong and mis read a few of his own. I challenged him in class when he blew me off in private. Made him look like an idiot. Got my 4.0 back.

Folks asked why I fussed about it since I most likely would have ended up with a 3.5 or 4.0 anyway.......idiots
    Yeah, I had an English teacher tell me I had to write within my active vocabulary because the word conducive was not a commonly used word. He said "I should write as though my audience had a sixth grade education." I told him "if he or anyone else couldn't comprehend my writing.... they were not my audience." This went down in front of the entire class!
    pfries, Hoganbeg and rammerjammer like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Really, an English teacher throttling someone's vocabulary usage these days - who wudda thought?:wave

Not an instructor, but had someone insist that printing is the same as brandishing.

Buddy of mine just informed me that his instructor here in Oklahoma told him that carry inside any publicly owned building was prohibited. Actually the statutes read that weapons are only prohibited in government owned or controlled buildings that are used for doing business with the public. A huge difference. I pointed out to him that our gun club occasionally rents a government owned building for our meetings.

Michael

I was told my my instructor that he had had an Accidental Discharge TWO TIMES. He regularly practiced dry fire and he had forgotten that he had loaded his weapon after practice. He destroyed a TV and a refrigerator this way. I lost all respect. Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You can't carry while operating a commercial vehicle, ever.
    I hope you're not serious...

I've been through the NC CCP class twice. Once in a class setting, and I sat with my wife through her private class. In both cases the instructors were spot on. One of them is also a member here. In my class I actually had the commercial vehicle thing wrong. I was told by someone I thought should know that it's illegal. After the class I found out that federal DOT is silent on it and it's a state by state issue.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

You brandish until the threat is gone.
    Some people think that just showing a gun will be enough and aren't willing to pull the trigger or by the time they realize it's moved past they are usually soaking up the other guys bullets
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post
    I hope you're not serious...
    Straight up. I corrected him on it shortly after, but he stuck to his story. As far as I know, he is still telling students they cannot.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

That accuracy shooting (practice/IDPA/IPSC) had nothing to do with surviving violent attack. Implying that one can purchase a gun, never fire it, and dare believe he/she can competently defend in a life-or-death situation.

Never understood that one, myself. It's not what you've got but what you do with it. IOW, (combat) accuracy's king, and even the right shot in the "wrong" caliber can do wonders.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    If you draw a weapon on someone you must shoot them.

That is a downright dangerous school of thought especially for the good guy.
    As is also: I will only draw my firearm if I intend to use it!

You don't know how many times I have read that on Internet forums.

If you think about it and still cannot figure out why both statements are patently absurd then you probably should not be carrying a firearm at all.
    ericb327, Doodle and ep1953 like this.

The only thing I found my instructors got wrong was concealed carry in a Church. They said it was ok if not posted however the Kansas law says no carry in any place of worship..

My CWP instructor said to never use WD40 to clean your gun. It will destroy your ammo as it will soak into the case and make you gun powder wet. (Duh, say what?) Just how much are you putting on that gun and where are you putting it?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    WD-40 can penetrate ammo, just as over use of any cleaning/lubricating product will. I don't use it simply because it gets gummy and is the only product that ever failed on my firearms.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Buddy of mine just informed me that his instructor here in Oklahoma told him that carry inside any publicly owned building was prohibited. Actually the statutes read that weapons are only prohibited in government owned or controlled buildings that are used for doing business with the public. A huge difference. I pointed out to him that our gun club occasionally rents a government owned building for our meetings.

Michael
    While I won't quote OK law, the public is the people, and what property do "The People" own? Those of the govenment's. All govenment properties are publicly owned. K-Mart is not publicly owned, nor is Walmart, 7-11, the little Mom & Pop cafe, etc. Businesses are privately owned, either by the store owner or the stockholders.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Brandishing has a wide array of definitions according to many. However, I feel what you did was the same "pulls his gun & waves it around just to show he's a tough guy & not to be reckoned with without a threat anywhere nearby."

So two guys are walking in the same direction as you and you flash a gun? Where's the threat?
    The threat was there, the threat was real. They were wearing the local gang colors & followed every turn I made out of dozens of choices. I did NOT pull my gun - I exposed it by pulling my t shirt to unconceal the gun. Brandishing is legal in WI but open carrying in a state forest is. My local state forest is an urban park & there's a housing project adjacent to it with gang & drug activity. I felt that with a dog leash in my left hand I'd lose a second uncovering & drawing so I uncovered. I've practiced drawing often while walking the dog & have it down pretty good but still not as fast as I can when I'm walking alone. Anyhow the Forest Ranger agreed with my action & said that it was a prudent thing to do. He's done a good job ridding the park of gang & drig activity & is appreciative of any reports he gets.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links