Things your instructor told you

This is a discussion on Things your instructor told you within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of the things that make you shake your head when you hear them. First off I am in Oklahoma so not everything applies in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Things your instructor told you

Things your instructor told you

Some of the things that make you shake your head when you hear them. First off I am in
    Oklahoma so not everything applies in your State.
    I was told by my instructor the following.
    Brandishing is illegal.
    Actually brandishing is addressed in the Oklahoma Statutes and clearly says that brandishing when in the act of self defense is perfectly legal.

If you draw a weapon on someone you must shoot them. To do otherwise would be brandishing.
    Actually the same statute mentioned above covers this. You brandish until the threat is gone. The same principal as shooting until the threat is gone. Actually at one time this was the law in Kansas so I suppose its not as crazy as it sounds.

Anyone else told any whoopers by instructors?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Mine told me my box of Black Talons were cop killers and illegal. She was positive because she owned a gun shop and cops told her.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    I heard one state that he thought that most people actually had common sense.

Biggest lie I ever heard.
    ddanf308, SKW, multistage and 2 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's one reason I always research the statutes rather then believe those who should or claim to know.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That's one reason I always research the statutes rather then believe those who should or claim to know.
    This is the most important step to take before carrying in my opinion. I tried to politely point out my instructors mistakes and was promptly told to be quiet and get my permit or to leave, my choice. I stayed and got my permit.
    On the way out I made it a point to tell everyone who would listen that they needed to read the law themselves. Not to depend on what they had just heard.

Michael
    skew12 likes this.

A pat on the back is only 15" away from a kick in the ass................True.
    Sig35seven likes this.

Senior Moderator
    On the way out I made it a point to tell everyone who would listen that they needed to read the law themselves. Not to depend on what they had just heard.
    That is exactly the reason that I provide a copy of the law to every studen that I teach. I'll tell them to read it, memorize it, and put it up for future reference.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    You can't carry while operating a commercial vehicle, ever.
    INccwchris and buckeye .45 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Question authority. That has been my creed for most of my adult life. It tends to drive everyone crazy though.
    nedrgr21, OldVet and skew12 like this.

GH
    To me brandishing is a stupid law. The only exception I can see is when someone pulls his gun & waves it around just to show he's a tough guy & not to be reckoned with without a threat anywhere nearby. If someone thinks in all good conscience that by showing a firearm will deescalate the problem I'm all for it. I had to pull my shirt up & expose my concealed gun a month ago when I was being followed by what looked like 2 gangbangers in their late teens at the nearby state forest. As soon as I did that they peeled off & went a different direction. I told the Ranger about that incident just so he'd be alerted with the full knowledge that open carrying in a State Park is not authorized but there's nothing wrong with carrying concealed. He just said I did the right thing, I did what I had to do. I went on to say if they continued to follow the gun would have been in my hand. He nodded his head. Now I suppose that would be considered brandishing.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Brandishing has a wide array of definitions according to many. However, I feel what you did was the same "pulls his gun & waves it around just to show he's a tough guy & not to be reckoned with without a threat anywhere nearby."

So two guys are walking in the same direction as you and you flash a gun? Where's the threat?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Question authority. (snip)
    Why?
    NMB, WHEC724 and EeyoreCC like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Why?
    To determine if they are right, lawful, morally just, etc. I pretty much won't take just anybody's word for something merely based on their say so. It seems to me it's foolish to believe everything someone says just because they are in a position of power.

I am not saying I will challenge at any given time. I won't for instance stand on the street and argue with a cop, that's a no win situation, but I reserve the right to decide for myself what is fact. I've seen too many experts and authority figures who really didn't have a clue. I've seen as many who did, but had their own agenda and would prevaricate--even outright lie, and were wielding power for nobody but themselves. When such people say something is so, I have to ask myself if they are credible and what they may have to gain, or lose.

In the case of this discussion, we hear of authority figures who were disseminating opinion as fact, if the posters are to be believed. Hence, question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Brandishing has a wide array of definitions according to many. However, I feel what you did was the same "pulls his gun & waves it around just to show he's a tough guy & not to be reckoned with without a threat anywhere nearby."

So two guys are walking in the same direction as you and you flash a gun? Where's the threat?
    Very true. Luckily for us in Oklahoma our legislature decided to use the common English language version found in the dictionary instead of making up their own definition. Then they clearly defined when it was legal and not legal to do it.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    Why?
    I question authority all the time. My professor doc'ed me points on a paper saying what I wrote was incorrect even though I had references to back my assertion. In fact, he was wrong and mis read a few of his own. I challenged him in class when he blew me off in private. Made him look like an idiot. Got my 4.0 back.

Folks asked why I fussed about it since I most likely would have ended up with a 3.5 or 4.0 anyway.......idiots
    OldVet likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links