IWB 1911 holsters: full leather or hybrid?

This is a discussion on IWB 1911 holsters: full leather or hybrid? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to start by thanking the hive mind here for a lot of great information. I have been reading on this site for months ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: IWB 1911 holsters: full leather or hybrid?

IWB 1911 holsters: full leather or hybrid?

I need to start by thanking the hive mind here for a lot of great information. I have been reading on this site for months and now I need to ask a question.

I am about to purchase a 1911 for concealed carry (sorry Glock lovers but I am set on this one). I am looking at a 3.5” barrel but I have not ruled out the full size 5” yet. The biggest question I am still facing is holster options. I intend to carry IWB probably at the 4 o’clock position, but time will tell. My debate is between a full leather holster like the Versa Max 2, and a hybrid holster like the Minotaur MTAC. I am leaning towards the Minotaur MTAC because of the desire to put on the Velcro clips. I know a good belt is a must especially for a 1911 so I am planning on a Looper reinforced belt with Velcro lining.

If you have tried both of these styles with a 1911 which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for sharing all your experience,
    Shrieken

2. Remove Ads

I haven't tried both with a 1911 (though at the moment I have a Sparks VMII with an Ed Brown Kobra Carry in my pants as I type).

I do however have both an MTAC Minotaur and a Sparks VMII (horse hide withe shark trim) for my HK P7M8. I bought the Comp Tac to use while waiting seven months for the Sparks to be made. Luckily the 1911 variants are easier to find !

I wore the Comp Tac quite a bit and generally liked it a lot. It was pretty comfortable and concealed very well. The fact that it is tuckable is nice, but I never wore it that way. Since my VMII arrived for the P7, I have worn it quite often, and never in anything but the Sparks holster of a Horseshoe Leather holster (similar to a Summer Special).

The VMII is at the top of my list whether for a 1911 or the P7.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Leather is just my preference. My 1911 is carried IWB in a Backwoods Leather holster.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I will ad, with my P7 in the Comp Tac, the weapon was always secure when I was wearing it, but when I take a gun off, I leave it loaded and in a holster. The Comp Tac only holds the pistol securely while it is held by your belt. The pistol easily slips out when you are not wearing it. This is not an issue for a full leather holster. It may not be an issue for most people, but it is a factor for me.
    NRA Life Member

Welcome to the forum.

1911? Let's see.........

Milt Sparks Versa Max, hands down. Absolutely no question. You can snag one from ebay (spendy but immediate), or call Allen Yoast Firearms (512 426-0027). Allen is a Sparks dealer, just spoke with him earlier today. He has VMIIs in stock for 1911s.

I ordered mine from Sparks directly, as I wanted it all decked out in horsehide and shark. 6 months, but well worth it.
    LenS likes this.

The only holster I've used for any length of time is the Crossbreed Supertuck. I carry a full government length double-stack 1911 from Para Ordnance in the three and four o'clock position comfortably with total concealment. The Supertuck is very similar to the MTAC Minotaur you're looking at, but since I haven't tried the MTAC I can't make a definitive statement on it. The MTAC has less leather backing than the Supertuck, particularly near the grip, so it might not be as comfortable as the the Supertuck. Similarly the Versa Max 2 has less leather backing as well.

The leather-kydex blend tends to be a little thinner than full leather holsters, and that might make concealment easier and more comfortable for you. If you're going to be removing the holster frequently (for instance if CC is taboo at your workplace and you have to leave the gun in your vehicle while at the office, but always put it on when you leave for lunch), then the MTAC Minotaur or some other IWB holster with hooks instead of loops will be easier to put on and take off. Holsters with loops that have to be threaded around the belt could be a little annoying.

I think you'll be happy with either one you chose. For my needs, the Crossbreed worked well and I think I would have been happy had I chose the MTAC Minotaur as well. I'm not as sure I would have been as happy with the Milt Sparks. Both are excellent holsters, but I prefer hooks instead of loops to make it easier to put on and take off the holster, and I prefer the half-kydex because it's somewhat thinner than full leather holsters. There's so many different options for holsters just like there are so many options for handguns - no one gun and no one holster works for everyone. The best advice anyone can give is to find a gun shop with a large used holster bin and try out as many different models and styles as possible to find what works best for you.

For a 1911 I suggest a Milt Sparks VM2.

I do have a DM Bullard Dual Carry for a Commander length for sale. Shoot me a PM if interested I will cut a nice deal.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Crossbreed Supertuck. I carry a 3" all day and its the most comfortable holster I've ever worn.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Shrieken,

Like most of the shooters, I have the proverbial box full of holsters. I've tried the all leather holsters from Milt Sparks and others, hybrids from Crossbreed, full kydex ones, etc. The best and most comfortable, IMO, is the N82 Tactical Professional. It has a suede backing, with neoprene sandwiched between the suede and oil tanned leather. All is attached to a plastic front holder, which has a unique retainer. You have to release the gun with a twisting draw that is unnatural at first, but is easily done after a few minutes of practice. The different draw more than makes up for the retention characteristic of the holster, which I believe is practically full proof. The suede leather backing and neoprene makes it the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn. I use it for my 4" Kimber Super Carry Pro and 3" Ultra CDP II. This is the holster I will get for any other gun I decide to carry. I highly recommend it without any reservations. You can go to their website at n82tactical.com and read up on it.

Neko

Thanks for all the great input. I am still leaning towards the MTAC for my first holster, but will be trying your other suggestions if it doesn't work out. 357and40 if I end up with a commander length I will get in touch and see what we can work out.

I see some people here like leather, and some say they like hybrids. I actually have a few all kydex holsters that I like, for two different size 1911's and for a couple Glocks. They are thinner than either leather or hybrid, and I find them comfortable to wear.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I wouldn't really call Defensive Carry Forum "hive mind". You do realize that is a derogatory term don't you?

I've tried a number of different holsters for 1911's, Kydex, leather, and hybrids. I still prefer the old Bruce Nelson design, namely it's Milt Sparks Summer Special II iteration. I carry a Government sized Colt and actually much prefer it over the Officer and shorter barrel lengths. The 5" Bbl. actually presses into my hip and pushes the butt of the gun in adding to concealment. The shorter Bbls. Allow the grip to lean out and away from my body and don't conceal as well.

Also when you go shorter in the barrel the design nuances are affected and reliability suffers more. I'm not saying all short 1911's aren't reliable, but you will find more failures out of chopped guns than you will Government and Commander Models. One great combination is the CCO models, a Commander 4 1/4 or 4" Bbl. on an Officers frame.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I'm inclined to say leather all the way, but I've never tried kydex with a 1911.

I agree with Matthew on the CCO size as well. Benefits of the shorter grip and commander length barrel.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I use both, a Crossbreed Supertuck and a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. Depends on my mood or the level of concealment I want. I OC frequently so the PK gets most of my use, plus when I travel it is both an IWB and OWB holster, it allows me to travel with just one holster. I use the CB when I am dressing professionally , I find it a little more concealment. If you get a CB, get it in horsehide, more comfortable and better in hot weather.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I carry my 4" SA XD .45 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I will be getting one for my 1911 as well. I've tried all leather and hybrid IWB holsters. For me, the CB is the way to go. It's hands down the most comfortable IWB holster I've used. It really comes down to personal preference when you choose your holster though. Try the 2 you've listed and then make your decision. It wouldn't hurt to try others as well. Especially if you narrow it down to one style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links