a twist on using reloads for self defense

This is a discussion on a twist on using reloads for self defense within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, the theory goes that you should only use factory ammo for self defense, for legal reasons, namely, if forensics finds you were using federal ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: a twist on using reloads for self defense

So, the theory goes that you should only use factory ammo for self defense, for legal reasons, namely, if forensics finds you were using federal cases and finds a bullet, they will use the matching round for their gun shot wound residue tests to verify distances and such. Okay, I don't want to start a discussion on whether this is actually true or not, but I'd rather talk about this next scenario:

Instead of reloading previously fired factory ammo, what about loading a generic bullet (like lswchp) into starline brass? There's no way that a forensics team could determine that it was factory ammo, so they would either have to use the remaining rounds in your gun or none at all.

Now, I'll be honest - I'm not going to do this. I don't have a problem with buying quality self defense ammo for various reasons, but I'm interested in the legal aspects of this, especially for people who reload hunting ammo that may get used for self defense in the field.

Whether I use a Louiville Slugger, hammer, rock or firearm, if it's a justified use of deadly force, it doesn't matter the object.
    And I handload ammo specifically designed and tested to my specifications for SD carry.
    OldVet, gasmitty, Bad Bob and 7 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    I reload 27 different calibers. I shoot alot and I hunt too.
    I dont use reloaded ammo for self defense. I use the factory stuff.

If I had to use some of my hunting ammo to save my life, the last thing I would worry about is the fact that my ammo was reloaded.

Legal aspects? I think that if you are justified in shooting, the ammo isnt going to make much difference.

As for forensics, they can tell what gun powder you used,the bullet, the primer and even the lead content. They are familiar with with the aspects of reloading, so I dont really think that you'll gain much by using it to try to get away with something.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    The only legal raminfictions that I see with using rounds that you reloaded yourself is if you live in a state that allows you to be sued if you used your gun in self defense.

Then some slick lawyer my use "he created his on bullets so that they would target MR Nowcleancutscumbag spinal cloumn leaving him paralysised from the waist down.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

This is gonna get fun.... Multiple posts about this on various sites.....

I use hand made dum dums.
    with garlic juice in 'em...
    and wood in the dum dum X,
    and plate them in silver...

I ain't worried about BGs...
    Halloween's comin'!
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    The only legal raminfictions that I see with using rounds that you reloaded yourself is if you live in a state that allows you to be sued if you used your gun in self defense.

Then some slick lawyer my use "he created his on bullets so that they would target MR Nowcleancutscumbag spinal cloumn leaving him paralysised from the waist down.
    This is how it was explained to me at my CHL class. The instructor even stated to use the same "type" as rounds as the local police use so the lawyers can't use the "super bullet" defense against you.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    There is nothing in the FL statutes on firearm use or deadly force that makes any mention of the type of ammunition used, factory or otherwise. The use of a firearm is deadly force, not the use of a firearm loaded with (fill in the blank).

I have experienced no difference in reliability in shooting my reloads versus factory rounds. My reloads don't carry a name such as "Black Talons," "Golden Sabers," "Zombie Killers," or any other name that might be used by some zealous lawyer to incite jury compassion. They are simply whatever cases that might be scrounged from the range, with whatever bullet I happened to have loaded, with whatever primer the local gunstore had in stock, and with what few powders I've found to be reliable in the multiple calibers I reload--none of which have been designed by highly paid engineers after extensive laboratory testing to produce maximun SD effect.

Do I use my reloads for carry? No. I use factory Gold Dots or PDX1s because the nickeled cases are less corrosion subceptable and I don't care to reload nickel cases. But I'd use my reloads in a heartbeat if that's what was loaded.

So, in a court of law, what is worse? To blow a head off with a specially designed commercial load, or to do so with a probably milder hand load? I think it's irrelevant.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    This is how it was explained to me at my CHL class. The instructor even stated to use the same "type" as rounds as the local police use so the lawyers can't use the "super bullet" defense against you.
    More super than a Zombie Killer? A Black Talon? That's pretty much the standard answer from those who really don't think about it. It's safe to say that. PDs usually carry something that they get a good discount on a mass government purchase.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Right, it may not matter if you use handloads in self defense. Or it may. "There he sat, alone in his basement four HOURS, maniacally creating the best man killer bullet that he could. Hundreds of attempts, thousands of bullets, and finally he got it right. Then he ached to use it on a real human being--not on milk jugs full of water, or the phone books soaked in water that he was used to using, but a real live human being. Then along comes my client, who innocently asked for the time of day, not knowing of the defendants secret desire to kill another human with his special bullets..." Doubt it? It happened.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    Doubt it? It happened.
    Civil or criminal case?
    References?
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Right, it may not matter if you use handloads in self defense. Or it may. "There he sat, alone in his basement four HOURS, maniacally creating the best man killer bullet that he could. Hundreds of attempts, thousands of bullets, and finally he got it right. Then he ached to use it on a real human being--not on milk jugs full of water, or the phone books soaked in water that he was used to using, but a real live human being. Then along comes my client, who innocently asked for the time of day, not knowing of the defendants secret desire to kill another human with his special bullets..." Doubt it? It happened.
    And what did the defendant's lawyer have to say in rebuttal against this load of crap? Sounds like the basis of a slander suit in the making.

Please sit the source of this happening.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

There the killer was, shopping around for the same loads that the local police department uses, because secretly he was a cop wanna be vigilante who thought that if he carried the same ammo the cops carry he would be victorious in his pursuit to clense our community of criminals. Then along comes my client, who innocently asked for the time of day, not knowing of the defendants secret desire to kill another human with his cop wanna be bullets...
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

It's called conjecture and speculation. And, if the prosecution had to fall back on fabricating these ridiculous unsustainable scenarios to prove murder, then you and your attorney are having a very, very good day in court.
    OldVet and pistola like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links