Kinda confused

Kinda confused

This is a discussion on Kinda confused within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend and I had some friends of hers(a couple) over from work. The woman had recently bought an LC9 and wanted to get her ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Kinda confused

Kinda confused

My girlfriend and I had some friends of hers(a couple) over from work. The woman had recently bought an LC9 and wanted to get her cpl(through class with my gf), she wanted to talk to someone who had a cpl and ask some questions. I said yes not a problem, at some point in the discussion i said here i'll show you my pocket carry, i pulled my little .380 out of my jeans front pocket(safely pointed away) and they kinda freaked out on me. He asked, do you just carry a "GUN" around in your pocket. I said, while........yeah? If i don't have the .45 on my hip. They got really defensive about it, so i put it away, and tried to explain why i carry and why my gf is going to. Now she doesn't want to go through the class. So i just left it at that....

Any input, and what to say to them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No need to say anything to them, they were clueless to begin with. What did they expect someone with a permit to do, carry it in a safe?
    MrsHB, GH, Badey and 15 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I am glad to talk guns to anyone who is interested. However, if they want to see what I carry, or how I carry it, they need to come to the range with me, or take the class.
    Brad426 likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Was he surprised you:

A) Had a gun at all
    B) Pulled it out (like "Dude, you've been drinking... put that away!")
    C) That you didn't have a holster (not clear on that)
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I am glad to talk guns to anyone who is interested. However, if they want to see what I carry, or how I carry it, they need to come to the range with me, or take the class.
    Agreed. I would not whip out my gun and I wouldn't like it if someone else did it, either.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Was he surprised you:

A) Had a gun at all
    B) Pulled it out (like "Dude, you've been drinking... put that away!")
    C) That you didn't have a holster (not clear on that)
    Was not drinking
    And i pulled out the holster too

Quote Originally Posted by nobody_iam View Post
    Was not drinking
    And i pulled out the holster too

Okay, then I agree with the "No need to say anything to them, they were clueless to begin with. What did they expect someone with a permit to do, carry it in a safe?" statement by OldVet.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No need to say anything to them, they were clueless to begin with. What did they expect someone with a permit to do, carry it in a safe?
    Agreed. They started out clueless, and have now advanced to rattled as a direct result of entirely too much information.
    oneshot and The Old Anglo like this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    If she's a keeper, give your girl friend a chance to get over it. It's one thing to talk about concealed carry, the reality is another. My wife wasn't much in favor of it at all. Didn't even want to discuss it. Neither did the two sisters that live close enough to see often.

I just kept packing. Wasn't "in her face" about it, but didn't hide it either. We had to stop at the courthouse once and I locked it in the glove compartment. She said, "Oh, you are packing."

I said, "Yup," and got out of the car to go in the courthouse. I followed a similar approach with my sisters. Now my wife has her permit and carries now and then, my sister and niece in NY have their permits and carry almost daily. My other sister recently bought a Colt Detective Special in .38SP and is completing her permit application. Her gentleman friend just got his permit last week (and P238 to go with it).

The low key good example over time seems to work well.

That said, I never take out my carry gun to show people unless I'm at home. When I do, at home, I go to another room, clear it, and then show it to them.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Just drop it. Remember, you can't fix stupid.
    Bad Bob and ep1953 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    "Pardon me while I whip this out"

Sorry I am a fan of Blazing Saddles. It sounds to me like a case of I will get a gun, get a permit and hence now I am safe.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    It sounds to me like a case of I will get a gun, get a permit and hence now I am safe.
    Agreed.

I have many friends who only have their permit 'just in case' (whatever that means) or to carry in their vehicle. I even know many LE's who do not carry off-duty.

Yes Ma'am, I carry a gun in my pocket. My big pointy stick wouldn't fit.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

That sounds really weird. Maybe stupid. I'm torn between the two. Let's review. She (the other woman) bought an LC9. She is looking to get a CPL. She wants to talk to someone that currently has a CPL (you) and ask some questions concerning said CPL. I'm assuming the discussion turned to carrying and then you showed them your present carry solution. They freak out cause you're carrying. My head just 'assploded. I'm going to go with stupid.

Did they give any reason why they were freaked out? That is the part I cannot get my head wrapped around. Why would she be looking to get a CPL if carrying freaks her out?
    wingryder and kmagnuss like this.

Sometimes I think little pocket guns have become the in thing with the yuppy crowd. Its good and bad. The good being that they are getting guns for self defense, the bad, what the OP experienced....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links