Survival instinct

Survival instinct

This is a discussion on Survival instinct within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can it be this simple? CC members - those who choose to carry have it - the sheep do not? I am thinking more and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival instinct

Assistant Administrator

Survival instinct

Can it be this simple? CC members - those who choose to carry have it - the sheep do not?

I am thinking more and more that this seems to be the case. We discuss the self-determination - the responsibility of taking one's safety in one's own hands. I do think it can be that simple.

We see again and again - the majority's seeming reliance on ''the system'' - when they do not realize that they actually have no ''protection'' available from LE by statute. Either that or they just ''trust to luck''.! Plus they are not aware of what can happen even within fast response times!

I would like to finish my time on this small rock we call home, fading out by natural means and not some traumatic, perp-induced and untimely demise.

This thinking was brought on by (yet) another person I spoke to, who had the niéve notion that LE was always there to save their butt! Oh the misplaced optimism

Hang together folks - we are truly the enlightened ones!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have thought about this very subject for years now. I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Those who have no survival instinct or who have had it brain washed out of them, will not want to carry a weapon. They will want to let the police handle it. They think the police can stop crime. How wrong they are.

Those who carry have the instict. They know their lives are their own responsibility, to protect and to fight for.

I think it might just be that simple.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

ask 10 different people what they would want to have if stranded in the wilds and sheep usually think of some luxery item. the survivalist say knife and gun at top of list.

Right on raevan!!!!!!!1

Our society is pretty weird. Where is everyone's survival instinct? Bred out of us maybe? People actually get nervous when they find out you would use deadly force to save yourself, rather than make a phone call and wait for someone else to.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

sm
    Chris,

You know me...

...I have survived, and plan on surviving.
    Use Enough Gun

The "sheep" are always thinking that the LE will be there in time to save them and believe they are the only ones who need help at that particular time. Unfortunately, and I can't remember where I heard or read it, a crime occurs every 1-5 seconds. How many LE are on the police department in relation to "sheep"? I for one realize that the LE cannot be in more than one place at a time.

Here is a case where the LE had made it in the nick of time:
    A woman had called 911 to report a burglar in her home, she advised that she was hiding in her bedroom closet armed. Unfortunately, the 911 operator convinced the woman to put her weapon up. The perps were ransacking the bedroom and very close to discovering the woman when the LE arrived. Granted she was one of the lucky ones. What if the scenario was different - that the LE maybe were 5-10 minutes later in getting there?
    Lady Valerian

I have 2 guns - one for each of ya'. Tombstone

Administrator
    The everyday instinct to survive is GONE in the vast majority of American citizens.
    A natural disaster will revive it in some folks.
    But, sadly for the most part it's gone.
    Remember though that a certain percentage of those with no inclination for "daily normal environment personal survival" will revert into predatory animals in a SHTF scenario.
    They are not prepared themselves so they will learn very quickly to attempt to take from the weak and the other mild mannered whining grass eaters.
    They will form gangs of the unprepared & become very predatory overnight. Yes, they really will.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

P95...

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Can it be this simple? CC members - those who choose to carry have it - the sheep do not?

...Hang together folks - we are truly the enlightened ones!
    Yes, I agree quite strongly...it is just this simple!

I think about this...often...when I read the 'vicious attack stories'...in Somewhere, USA...unarmed John Q. Citizen...bites the dust, or worse, family members included!
    My first thoughts?...a choice, a bad choice, was made...Oh well!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Well, I think this is probably the very first century in all of human history where the majority of citizens in a great/powerful nation can do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING positive to help insure their own personal survival and get away with it....most of the time.

Just to prove a point....Look how the have stopped worrying since 9/11. The government is going to take care of us.??

We have yet to see the end of Al Queda.
    Lady Valerian

I have 2 guns - one for each of ya'. Tombstone

Administrator

Post The Lady Got It Right

I believe that we will have another ultra major terror attack on our home soil and sooner rather than later & that it will pale 9/11.
    I have no proof or secret information ~ Just my strong reality based non~paranoid gut feeling on that.
    I have learned to trust my gut.
    I'm sure not hoping that it will happen and, I continue to hope that it does not.
    I just get that very strong inner feeling that it will.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

As has been mentioned many times on this board, LE has no legal obligation to safeguard your life - that's not their job. They come after the fact and investigate, make arrests, hand off the perp to the court system. Yes, they might protect victim #3 by catching the perp after #1and #2, but what if you're #1? S.O.L. unless you protect yourself. Then you save yourself AND victims #2 and #3! Much more efficient.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The everyday instinct to survive is GONE in the vast majority of American citizens.
    A natural disaster will revive it in some folks.
    But, sadly for the most part it's gone.
    Remember though that a certain percentage of those with no inclination for "daily normal environment personal survival" will revert into predatory animals in a SHTF scenario.
    They are not prepared themselves so they will learn very quickly to attempt to take from the weak and the other mild mannered whining grass eaters.
    They will form gangs of the unprepared & become very predatory overnight. Yes, they really will.
    Unfortunately I have had the opportunity to see this first hand and it is oh, so true. When all the normal, "civilised" controls are gone things get unbelievably bad unbelievably fast. Worse yet are the predators, sociopaths and just plain whack jobs in the same situations. The keep whining for help and wonder where the govt. is. The survivors just get grim and survive. 48 hours after Katrina my son met a guy who had walked his family out of the nightmare and made it to the noth shore. He had food and water in packs and several weapons. It had been a long, hard, non stop, slog but he did what he had to while the sheep were still baahing for help in NO. His only comment was next time he wanted more ammo.

Sailing brings out the same mindset. I've heard people screaming for the Coasties, literally, to rescue them in situations where I'd of been saying "Darn, break out some coffee, it's going to be a long miserable night!" Worse yet I've had to bail out a few myself over the years and couldn't figure out why people like this ever left shore. They had no business out there. Even tried to convince a few not to go as they had a totally wrong mindset for cruising. You need to be tough, resilient, a problem solver and self reliant. Sort of like self defense.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    The survivors just get grim and survive. You need to be tough, resilient, a problem solver and self reliant. Sort of like self defense.....
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going. No doubt.

Sure helps to have mindset in advance of the problem. Sailing, survival camping/excursions and other risky activities help hone those skills to do without when SHTF. It's really as simple as doing without the microwave for an evening, then thinking of alternatives ... and then taking that to the logical extreme: what to do without electricity, water, fuel, means to communicate via phone/radio, in situations with zero police force, whatever. Amazingly simple, if only the thinking is attempted.

There are even how-to books on the subject. There's got to be something like Home Repair For Dummies, Word Processing For Dummies ... Survival Tips For Dummies ... The Complete Idiot's Guide To Surviving Without The Morning Latte When SHTF ...

Of course, one has to read and understand, despite the mental blocks. Can sheep read???
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links