Loaning firearms

This is a discussion on Loaning firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nah..Even of a trial keeping track of em when I HAVE TOTAL CONTROL over them. CharlesMorri..think it was big gift your sister gave you there....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Loaning firearms

Nah..Even of a trial keeping track of em when I HAVE TOTAL CONTROL over them. CharlesMorri..think it was big gift your sister gave you there.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I have been lent firearms and I have lent mine out to trusted individuals. I'll do it again. It's up to my personal discretion and I am very thankful for those who have gone out on the liability limb and trusted me enough to allow me the privilege to learn from their equipment.

I treat loaned firearms to me with the same respect I would treat my own and I wouldn't loan my firearm to someone who did not feel the same way. But I see no problem with helping someone out if they want to get familiar with a specific firearm before they decide to buy, etc.
    I feel exactly the same way as Limatunes. When I first got into shooting, my instructor loaned me a couple of handguns for about four months while I shopped for my own. We had been friends at church for many years prior to that and I appreciate his trust in me. If I find myself in a position some day to help a trusted friend get into shooting, I hope to pay it forward. I understand that is a personal decision each of us makes and don't expect anyone to do other than what their own wisdom and conscience allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    I feel exactly the same way as Limatunes. When I first got into shooting, my instructor loaned me a couple of handguns for about four months while I shopped for my own. We had been friends at church for many years prior to that and I appreciate his trust in me. If I find myself in a position some day to help a trusted friend get into shooting, I hope to pay it forward. I understand that is a personal decision each of us makes and don't expect anyone to do other than what their own wisdom and conscience allows.
    I am the same way about loans, including stuff other than firearms. My main concern is my property being mistreated/misused but if I trust somebody enough to loan them my car or the like, then (assuming they safe with and know how to take care of firearms) I trusth them with a firearm as well.

I don't think I would have any issues with loaning a firearm to a family member or close friend, as long as I knew for sure what the loan was for. It would absolutely have to be someone I trust completely.

Certain friends or family, yes. Other friends or family, no.

Quote Originally Posted by framedcraig1 View Post
    CharlesMorri..think it was big gift your sister gave you there.
    You have no idea how right you are!

I would buy my mother a firearm, but I wouldn't even lend her one of mine. So, if not my mom...certianly nobody else!
    Spirit51 and Chief1297 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Would I loan a firearm? Maybe. My first inclination is no way, but I suppose there could be an emergency situation where I'd think it was appropriate.

I've read at least one story and heard the 911 tape where a woman was able to defend herself against almost certain death at the hands of an attacker, ex-husband or ex-boyfriend with a severe anger management problem as I recall, because someone loaned her a gun. The story was on here a few years ago. She ended up in a closet talking to 911 for like 10 minutes while he broke into the house and broke thorugh doors finally opening the door to the closet where she was hiding. Her screaming as he grabbed her and she shot him is on the 911 tape. The police arrived just in time to hear the shots which was right about when she would have died had she not had the gun.

Who ever loaned her that gun saved her life.

Fitch
    oneshot likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Hypothetically, could the liability issues be avoided if when a relative in need of protection agrees to "buy" one of my firearms for say $10 with the condition that I may "buy" it back for the same $10 when that need is resolved?

mrm
    Ya well the one and only time I loaned my G27 out to a friend while he was thinking about getting one for his wife he pawned it and moved town, so now I am fighting with the system to get the gun back. I sure did learn my lesson, and whats worse than that is my wife advised me not to do it before I did it so now I get to listen to that as well.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Thankfully when I was a younger man a friend of the family felt I was responsible enough to loan me a Ruger mk1 pistol after I had received training through a local police department so I could shoot on a league. This is what hooked me on shooting.
    Very soon after, a training officer from that department made a customized Colt Gold Cup available to me for extended use (in more limited conditions).

My parents didn't want me to have guns, but were OK with all of this as it was in pretty controlled conditions. But the fact is, if I hadn't been allowed to borrow some firearms I would not have become involved in shooting the way I did.

At this time, I think there would be three friends and maybe three relatives I would lend firearms to (and have). I lent out a Remington 870 combo (with a vent rib and slug barrel) last year during turkey and deer seasons for the son of a friend of mine so he wouldn't have to rush a purchase to outfit him. The kid got a nice size doe with it too.
    Last edited by Yetiman; October 8th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
    NRA Life Member

Is this even legal?

I'm not to sure it's even legal to "Loan" a handgun to an individual. From what I recall at least in Michigan they cannot have a gun that is not their property in their possession unless they have a CPL.

From the Michigan code:

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications;
    applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure;
    forging application; implementation during business hours.
    Sec. 2. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or
    transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section.

Break it down into criminal or civil:

The risk of civil liability or "perceived" liability will be tested by anyone that has a cause of action.

In other words you can be sued by anyone at anytime but that doesn't mean there will be success.

Loaning a car, knife rope, bicycle or any number of things has the same potential.

There is no "automatic" responsibility for a gun from cradle to grave but if your actions are found to be negligent you could face some legal (civil) defense issues.

If you loan the gun to someone that is not legally capable of having one (i.e., a convicted felon, etc) then you are criminally liable and breaking the law. I do not know of a criminal situation otherwise unless you knew or should have known the borrower was going to commit a crime with it.
    OldVet and marcclarke like this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I was curious if people were more worried about legal responcabilty or care of the firearm. Seems that it goes both ways with most of you. Yodas statement I think sums up the legal aspect very well. It is our duty to make sure we are following the letter of the law when it comes to loaning of a firearm to someone. As far as knowing the character of those we loan a weapon to, that should go without saying.
    I have had people loan me firearms to try out and some just to use. I once loaned a stranger a shotgun one day to use while we were shooting sporting clays. His shotgun was malfunctioning and I had a spare. Now this was the first day I had met him. I work with his wife and knew that he had very good training with firearms. He's been to Gunsite a number of times and he was with a group of people I know very well. So as you can see I have no problem loaning a weapon depending on the circumstances.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'll go shooting with a friend and let them shoot any of mine that they want to shoot, but my firearms are always where I know them to be and under either lock and key ore conveniently concealed on my person.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links