Loaning firearms

This is a discussion on Loaning firearms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did a search on this and came up empty. I have seen numerous statements about never loaning your firearms. My question is why do ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Loaning firearms

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Loaning firearms

I did a search on this and came up empty. I have seen numerous statements about never loaning your firearms. My question is why do you not loan to friends and family?
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I had a LEO teaching my class tell us we were responsible for our weapons at all times. Sounds like a good reason not to loan your weapon out to anyone to me..
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

The problem with loaning guns is that once it it our of your possession, you have no guarantees as to how it will be stored and used. In a perfect world everyone is careful and trustworthy, but that's not the world we live in. You could lend your gun to your best friend whose house is then broken into and his guns and yours are stolen, your gun is sold on the street then gets used for a homicide and it's tracked back to you. Now you're in a position of having to retain a lawyer to defend yourself of charges that you illegally "transferred" your gun to your friend... you can see where this is headed. That's just one hypothetical example, but it wouldn't take much imagination to come up with more.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thumbs down Liability: Lendee Does Something Stupid, You Get Sued

Liability. Your sister's numb-nuts husband uses the handgun you lent to her for her protection and shoots someone stealing his flat-screen TV. The robber survives, maimed and confined to a wheel chair for life. The robber's family retains a lawyer on zero-retainer, with the lawyer getting a percentage. The lawyer goes looking for deep pockets and selects you to contribute to the lawyer's yacht fund. The lawyer sues you in civil court for having negligently lent your handgun out and caused his client's injuries. You are clearly liable for paying the robber's medical bills for life, asserts the lawyer, since had you not lent the handgun to your sister the lawyer's client would never have been maimed. You are now in court, paying your own lawyers, and you will be there forever, because the lawyer retained by the robber's family has infinite patience and approximately zero expenses to keep bleeding you in court until either he wins a huge judgement or you cave and pay him immense amounts of money to get him to stop soaking you in court.

Your insurance agent informs you that your umbrella policy does not cover this situation. You are on your own, financially speaking.

Fair has nothing to do with it. This is how the world works these days. Lawyers go after pockets. The robber's lawyer won't stop until he owns your house and cars and can garnish your wages forever.

Give your sister cash and have her buy her own handgun. Stay completely out of the purchase loop. Do not buy a firearm and give it to your sister. Have her buy her own gun(s). Never lend firearms to anyone, even family.
    Last edited by marcclarke; October 7th, 2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Changed "Irresponsibly" to "negliently"
    JCabranes likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If your friend or family is legally allowed to possess a firearm, technically there's no legal prohibition against loaning them one. There is no "transfer" involved on a simple loan. Just as in loaning a vehicle, if you know the person borrowing it has a bad track record (DUIs, tickets, accidents, etc.) then your insurance company can certainly refuse to cover teh vehicle if something should happen.

If you loan a gun to your neighbor who you know was released from preison for armed robbery, the you have a problem. If you loan one to an otherwise reliable friend with no criminal history, but then that person decides to take down the local 7-11, be prepared to answer a lot of questions, maybe have to spend some money on a lawyer, and lose the gun. But jail time? Probably not. You didn't know that person intended to commit a crime.

I have no family that would want to "borrow" a gun, I've loaned guns to friends who visited for a hunting trip, but to loan one to someone for carry or defense purposes is a practice I'd rather not undertake, all legalities aside. It's just not a good practice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I run with guys that have their own guns. There are only three people I would trust with a firearm of mine. Two are friends that have their own, and the third is my father. Instead of loaning him a gun, I gave him one outright.

The rest of the planet is on its' own.

For a hunting trip, in my company, sure. To try my handgun at the range, yep.

To borrow, out of my sight, for longer than the outing?

Not gonna happen.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    For a hunting trip, in my company, sure. To try my handgun at the range, yep.

To borrow, out of my sight, for longer than the outing?

Not gonna happen.
    Gotta go with this. Why would you want to loan a weapon?
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    One of my land-ladies who I had only seen during the day came to me, very worried. Seems her ex was in town and being a problem. She asked to borrow my handgun. Later that night she called the police, and answered the door dead drunk, .44 in hand, and nearly got shot by the police.

I might sell someone a firearm or give one. Never loan one. That goes for relatives, too.

Senior Moderator
    I have been lent firearms and I have lent mine out to trusted individuals. I'll do it again. It's up to my personal discretion and I am very thankful for those who have gone out on the liability limb and trusted me enough to allow me the privilege to learn from their equipment.

I treat loaned firearms to me with the same respect I would treat my own and I wouldn't loan my firearm to someone who did not feel the same way. But I see no problem with helping someone out if they want to get familiar with a specific firearm before they decide to buy, etc.

I have "loaned" my S&W 39-2 9mm to a co-worker to take out to the range and shoot. He was considering a purchase of a 9mm pistol and wanted to shoot one to see if he liked it. My pistol had not been fired for a number of years. Not only did he like it, but the pistol came back in pristine and ultra clean condition, probably better than it was when lent.

As a result of lending my firearm, I followed his lead in getting my concealed carry permit, and we go on occassions to the range to shoot. Had I not lent him my pistol, then perhaps none of what I described would have occured. Like Lima says it should be up to the firearm owner's discretion as to who they would be willing to loan one.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Lending:

An ear: I'll bend one in almost anyone's direction
    Advice: sure.. all the time
    Pen: yeah, but not one of my nice fountain pens
    Money: maybe, but only as much as I'd be willing to give outright
    My truck: uhm.. nope
    A tool: nah... if I had all the tools I lent and never got back I'd need a new shed in which to store them... a BIG one.
    A firearm: NFW... just ain't gonna happen... not no way, not no how.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    Close friend I've known for a long time and trust, probably. Casual friwend that I know from work or where ever, probably not. Family, immediate family, yes. Distant family, again, probably not.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The problem with loaning guns is that once it it our of your possession, you have no guarantees as to how it will be stored and used. In a perfect world everyone is careful and trustworthy, but that's not the world we live in. You could lend your gun to your best friend whose house is then broken into and his guns and yours are stolen, your gun is sold on the street then gets used for a homicide and it's tracked back to you. Now you're in a position of having to retain a lawyer to defend yourself of charges that you illegally "transferred" your gun to your friend... you can see where this is headed. That's just one hypothetical example, but it wouldn't take much imagination to come up with more.
    Yup.. you never know what the person did with it..

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I had a situation twenty years or so ago with this phsyco who tried to kill me (twice!) over an exgirlfriend.
    The second time, he hit me with a car. Sent me spinning out head over heels on the side of the road! I was on a regular bike at that time.
    I had just sold my gun and was in need of one for protection. I asked my sister if I could borrow her .38.
    I told her what it was for and she said "hell no".
    In hindsight, it was better that she didn't lend me one because the phsyco got into a HUGE load of trouble instead!
    I don't think he's even out of jail to date! I'm sure that was a better punishment than what I had in mind (or maybe not), at least I'm not the one in jail!
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links