My wife taking the plunge...taking her CWP class on Saturday!

This is a discussion on My wife taking the plunge...taking her CWP class on Saturday! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am really excited that my wife has decided to get her CWP. I have wanted her to do this for some time, but ultimately ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: My wife taking the plunge...taking her CWP class on Saturday!

I am really excited that my wife has decided to get her CWP. I have wanted her to do this for some time, but ultimately the decision to carry has to come from her, and her assessment of the "need" to carry. She has always been supportive of me carrying, and says she is comforted in that fact, but for some reason never felt the need to carry for herself. I'm not entirely sure of what flipped the switch, whether the serial rapist that was recently caught in our area, or just the continued high crime rate in the Spartanburg, SC area. Whatever the reason, I am just happy she is doing it. She opted to not get her first class with me, and said that she would be more receptive to instruction from another person. I was really happy when she came back from her instruction when she was talking about guns and using terminology that I have never heard her use...so cool. Since that class she has asked me to take her to the range and continue practicing her shooting before her class. She said she likes her gun, a Springfield XD 9mm sub compact, but says that it would be too big still for her to carry and wants to search for her own carry gun...but still wants to keep the XD ;)

Anway, I'm thrilled with my wife and her choice.

527529_4698805308952_938591290_n.jpg
    This picture was taken after her first class. We are still working on fundamentals (including grip), and it will get there...but again, so proud of her!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Very cool, congratulations!

my wife asked me if I minded if she got her HCP during the spring of 2011, she took the class, got her permit in July, 2011.

since then ... the following followed her home:

1st gun - Keltec P32 traded for 642
    2nd gun - S&W 642 w/ct laser traded for LCP
    3rd gun - Ruger LCP traded for P238
    4th gun - Sig P238 loves it, kept it
    5th gun - Sig P938 loves it, kept it
    6th gun - NAA .22 magnum loves, kept

two carry purses ...

over 3000 rounds of ammo

2 years of range memberships

you might want to check out a second job :)

sent from ...

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Congratulations. That's awesome.

I know how you feel. When my wife surprised me with her concealed carry application all filled out except for one box that needed to be checked I felt the same way I was thrilled.

No training required here in PA. She and our youngest daughter (only child not married at that time) had taken the NRA handgun safety class together a couple of months before. I was delighted she took the NRA class. After the NRA class she bought herself a 6" S&W 686 to which she added CT grips, and a (pinned barrel) S&W Model 17-2 (.22LR) to practice with.

When she showed up with the permit application, I had a hard time not doing anything but answering her question. She was looking at the boxes that would be checked to indicate the reason for the permit. I suggested she check only the box that said "Self Defense". She did and a week and a half later proudly showed me her permit. Then she suggested we celebrate by shopping for a carry gun for her.

Over time the following have followed her home:
    1. Ruger SP101. She liked the weight, and shooting it single action, but the trigger was so heavy shooting it double action was about impossible for her. I polished the mechanism, replaced the trigger return spring and it helped but wasn't enough. Reducing the hammer spring did it but also made it unreliable. Purse carried it a couple of times.
    2. Traded the SP101 for a Ruger LCR. Liked the trigger dryfiring. Did not like to shoot the gun. It stung her hand badly with standard power loads and after one round she refused to shoot it with +P loads. Bought some holsters for it before deciding she just didn't want to keep it.
    3. Traded the LCR in on a SIG P238. She loves that P238, told me to get my own if I wanted to play with one, so I did. She has some holsters for the P238.
    I reload all our practice ammo except .22LR of course. She really enjoys shooting the little SIG and carries it now and then. Not all the time, but the frequency is increasing. She has always liked shooting the 686 and the Model 17-2.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    Congrats on the wife getting her permit. Welcome to the poor house!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I think that is great! One more person the BG has to worry about! Pass along to her my good wishes and good luck in her class.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Congrats to her and you. My wife and I got ours in Jan and I would have to say they the hardest thing so far is to actually get her to carry. For the life of me I'm not sure why she won't do it. It's driving me crazy. Good luck and hopefully your wife will actually use her right to carry. As for me I guess I just have to keep working on her.

Congrats for the both of you, it is very good when the wife participates to.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You may be in more trouble than the bad guys!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Congrats to the wife on her choice to take the class and get her CWP.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Congrats to your wife on protecting herself
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    I am really excited that my wife has decided to get her CWP. I have wanted her to do this for some time, but ultimately the decision to carry has to come from her, and her assessment of the "need" to carry. She has always been supportive of me carrying, and says she is comforted in that fact, but for some reason never felt the need to carry for herself. I'm not entirely sure of what flipped the switch, whether the serial rapist that was recently caught in our area, or just the continued high crime rate in the Spartanburg, SC area. Whatever the reason, I am just happy she is doing it. She opted to not get her first class with me, and said that she would be more receptive to instruction from another person. I was really happy when she came back from her instruction when she was talking about guns and using terminology that I have never heard her use...so cool. Since that class she has asked me to take her to the range and continue practicing her shooting before her class. She said she likes her gun, a Springfield XD 9mm sub compact, but says that it would be too big still for her to carry and wants to search for her own carry gun...but still wants to keep the XD ;)

Anway, I'm thrilled with my wife and her choice.

527529_4698805308952_938591290_n.jpg
    This picture was taken after her first class. We are still working on fundamentals (including grip), and it will get there...but again, so proud of her!
    Good for her and you as well. My wife just passed her course less than a month ago and will be sending in her paperwork soon. She is very excited to get through the whole process.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Congratulations. I am still working on my wife. She will open carry but so far has no interest in taking the time to get the training and permit. Someday. She enjoys shooting.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Congrats.

I so happy for your guys! My sister inlaw was raped, beat & murdered on Dec. 26 2011 & it has crushed my family & marrage. That is why I gear my classes to women & married couples. These are bad times & women need all the protection & training they can get. I pray no one on this fourm ever has to go through what my family has faced.

Be Blessed!
    G17,G19C,G21,G22c,G22RTF2/Gills,G26,G31,G32
    Colt Python 6'' .357mag & 4'' Trooper

NRA Pistol Instructor
    SC CWP Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links