Cooler Weather Is Here!

This is a discussion on Cooler Weather Is Here! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where I live it get's really cold, averages around 25 in winter but that's average - it can hit near zero and occasionally lower. I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cooler Weather Is Here!

COLD!!!

Where I live it get's really cold, averages around 25 in winter but that's average - it can hit near zero and occasionally lower. I walk even in winter for various reasons, after dark (though below 15 or 20 I skip it). I wear a big parka and can't quickly get to any gun inside on my belt - can't walk around in those temps with your coat partly unzipped. So, as at other times when I sometimes carry a snub revolver on my belt OWB I do the same in winter, but in a pocket holster in my parka, with gloves I can shake off quick. That's the only thing that I can find that could work.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    With the change in season I have broken out the jeans, sweatshirts and fleece pullovers. What changes will you make if any for winter carry? .
    You know what happens when it gets cold? Lemme tell ya..... Static electricty. No matter how much I try not to, I get a shock. Well, while getting ready for work the other day I heard a commotion outside my door so I'm gonna take a peek and see what's up.... VERY careful mind you NOT to touch anything prior to 'grounding' myself to prevent a shock..... BUT, the peep-hole has a METAL FRAME. I took a static shock to my friggen EYEBALL. I nearly peed myself. Think Martin Short or Jim Carry getting tazed. I was a bumbbling, drooling blob of 'OW'. I knocked over my end table, lamp, and coat rack. I felt it through my face, armpits, and nipples.

What changes am I making? I making darn sure I carefully 'ground' myself before touching ANYTHING, regardless of where I'm at or whatever I happen to be doing!

As for carry and EDC, the only change there is I choose an OWB holster more often.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

StarPD45
    Same gun, same holster year 'round. Did add a BUG last year.
    Only change would be if it's really cold, I'd add something to my outside coat pocket.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    You know what happens when it gets cold? Lemme tell ya..... Static electricty. No matter how much I try not to, I get a shock. Well, while getting ready for work the other day I heard a commotion outside my door so I'm gonna take a peek and see what's up.... VERY careful mind you NOT to touch anything prior to 'grounding' myself to prevent a shock..... BUT, the peep-hole has a METAL FRAME. I took a static shock to my friggen EYEBALL. I nearly peed myself. Think Martin Short or Jim Carry getting tazed. I was a bumbbling, drooling blob of 'OW'. I knocked over my end table, lamp, and coat rack. I felt it through my face, armpits, and nipples.

What changes am I making? I making darn sure I carefully 'ground' myself before touching ANYTHING, regardless of where I'm at or whatever I happen to be doing!

As for carry and EDC, the only change there is I choose an OWB holster more often.
    Very funny.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I find it funny that as a young man I couldn't wait for warm weather so I could wear sleeveless shirts to show off my big guns. Now that I'm withered and old I can't wait for chilly weather to more easily hide my gun.
    iguanadon and JDE101 like this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

No changes to what I carry with colder weather approaching.

Cold weather is over. Back in the 90's today. As my kids say "There are 4 season in Houston. Early summer, summer, late summer and Christmas.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

No change in the warm to cold, a Sig P-220 all year around IWB and a CZ-75 in the car (Kingston Car Holster). However I may go from 124 grain to 147 grain bullets in the CZ for colder weather.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    This is pretty much my thoughts. If I ever needed my gun, I want it to be exactly the same gun, same holster, same position.
    Most of the training I have taken stress using the same rig for efficiency. And I agree. But I wear shorts, tshirt, and sandals in the summer. I like large caliber weapons but they are kinda hard to hide in the summer. So I switch even though I know I should stick with just one rig. It's a great excuse for more training and shooting.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Aside from adding a jacket my carry set up pretty much stays the same.

Only change in summer is the occasional carry of the j frame S&W or KelTec P3at if my clothing is light weight and at all snug, otherwise appendix carry of the 1911 compact year round.

This is my first winter carrying. Last night I was walking the half mile from my friend's apartment. It was about 11, and my sleepy town was quiet. Nevertheless, I realized that to reach my aiwb g19 would have required unzipping a jacket, removing my gloves, and lifting my hoodie. No way I could have drawn in time to deal with a serious threat. I'm considering moving the gun to the jacket pocket while outdoors, in a holster of some sort of course, but not sure what to do about the glove issue. Not wearing them when it's ten degrees out isn't an option. My town is dead in the winter and the threat level is negligible, but still I don't want to be complacent. And I do travel to more questionable areas now and then...

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    The main thing I do in cold weather is ALWAYS slip my S&W 442 into my coat pocket. I still carry the G19 or G26 but I prefer to have something I don't have to dig through layers of clothing to get to.

Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links