Cooler Weather Is Here!

This is a discussion on Cooler Weather Is Here! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the change in season I have broken out the jeans, sweatshirts and fleece pullovers. All of the CC purist out there will be happy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Cooler Weather Is Here!

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Cooler Weather Is Here!

With the change in season I have broken out the jeans, sweatshirts and fleece pullovers. All of the CC purist out there will be happy to know I'm not printing anymore. Since moving to the Cincinnati area I have not seen the need for heavy winter clothing. My Sig P238 will probably lay down for the winter and I will change from 124 grain Gold Dots to Something in 147 Grain.

What changes will you make if any for winter carry? Do you change carry guns from 9MM to .40 or 45 ACP. Do you change carry rigs to accommodate winter clothing?

Please post some winter carry tips for our brethren!

One tip I have is: If your gun is left in a cold vehicle then brought into a warm environment, condensation can be a problem. make sure you run a patch down your barrel and wipe down you metal parts.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No, I don't change carry set-ups with the weather. I do, however continue to dress with those set-ups in mind.
    Leaving a gun in an extremely hot vehicle also contributes to condensation (and rust) in the summer time, as I found out this summer. Your advise on frequent patches and wipe-downs is always sound for a gun carried next to one's body all day, every day. I wipe mine down every night, and clean thoroughly at least weekly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    I used to switch to a full-size 1911 in the winter, since it was easy to dress around it.

Last year, it never cooled off though. I think I'll just stick with the G19.
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    No, I don't change carry set-ups with the weather. I do, however continue to dress with those set-ups in mind.
    Leaving a gun in an extremely hot vehicle also contributes to condensation (and rust) in the summer time, as I found out this summer. Your advise on frequent patches and wipe-downs is always sound for a gun carried next to one's body all day, every day. I wipe mine down every night, and clean thoroughly at least weekly.
    I agree Mike, I had to wipe my pistols down everyday this summer going from AC to 100 plus temperatures.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Currently in Central Florida it's 90 and feels like 103. Not quite time for our 2 weeks of cooler weather yet.
    Lish likes this.

Yea it is starting to get cooler up here. The Snowbirds are starting to migrate south. Did some winterizing this weekend and have another weekends worth to do. This will be my first winter with a CPL. I currently have Hydroshock loaded in the EDC and may switch to Hornady Critical Duty. Have read the hollow points can clog with heavy clothing that is the norm here for 6 months of the year. Critical Duty is supposed to reduce that chance. May even switch to an OWB holster since my wardrobe changes in this weather utilize more layers. The IWB works with one layer but once I start into two or more and I have shirts tucked the IWB doesn't seem to work as well. I may be wrong but we will find out.

I carry the same Glock year-round, but as the weather here starts to cool off, it's time to drag out the thicker T-shirts and longer shorts.
    RKflorida and Lish like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Same gun for summer and winter. It is just a clothing change for me.

I generally switch to a larger caliber when it gets colder. As for the condensation problem...I can be accused of too much cleaning already, so I don't really have any problems in that area.

A bit of advice for anyone who changes their CC clothing/method. It is a good idea to go to the range and practice your draw from concealment. A snag from a jacket or heavy clothing could prevent you from completing the draw effectively or even result in loosing your grip and dropping the gun. It's all about muscle memory. It's safer to jog those muscle memories under controlled conditions.
    GH likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

In the hot summer when I'm wearing a T or tank top and cargo shorts, my primary carry gun in a S&W 642 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Now that the weather is cooling off and I'm wearing "clothes" again, I'm back to my favorite -- a full size 1911. I've got both an IWB and an OWB holster I wear depending on how I'm dressed and where I'm going. Also just got a Miami Classic II that I've worn a few times. Love the cooler weather! I hate cold weather, but I love the cooler weather.

And sometimes I even wear a Woolrich or 5.11 vest! Oh my! And guess what--I do NOT worry about being "shot first". Not that many people even have a clue as to what it is, and I love having all the pockets to carry "stuff" in. And since I'm retired and wear Levis about 90% of the time, vests are great for carrying stuff. The other 10% of the time I wear cargo pants and have enough pockets I don't need to wear a vest for pockets to carry stuff in.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    One tip I have is: If your gun is left in a cold vehicle then brought into a warm environment, condensation can be a problem. make sure you run a patch down your barrel and wipe down you metal parts.
    Do you disassemble the gun to wipe down the barrell? Just curious on the logistics. I'm a brand new gun owner.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_SDG View Post
    Do you disassemble the gun to wipe down the barrell? Just curious on the logistics. I'm a brand new gun owner.
    I disassemble and clean about one a week, and do a wipe-down (exterior, magazine and grip recess) nightly for the one I carried that particular day.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    HOORAY for cooler weather!!!!!! No change for me in carry set up, except that as it is cooler (it was 16 Saturday morning, but has warmed back up with highs in the 50s for now), I no longer tuck/conceal my pistol under my shirt, as it will now be covered by a western canvas or wool vest.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My wife calls fall "sweater weather", I call it "shoulder holster weather" See what you folks have done to me?
    ericb327 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Funny, I'm new to concealed carry, received my permit in August. Carrying an LCP in back pocket wallet holster. But today was cold, rainy and I had to run to the grocery store and thought I'd try my G27 in a paddle holster under a fleece pullover. I liked how that felt and look forward to carrying it on a regular basis during the winter.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links