Stupid is as stupid does!

This is a discussion on Stupid is as stupid does! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tacman605 aznav. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Whenever we vary from our routine things like this can happen. Everyday here I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Stupid is as stupid does!

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    aznav. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Whenever we vary from our routine things like this can happen.

Everyday here I have the same routine. My Glock remains loaded. Every morning I drop the mag, do a chamber check and holster.

I do applaud you for taking the time to think of your company and secure everything. At home I have a dedicated house gun that remains loaded and secured even when I am carrying on my person. When I do go out I have a large walk in closet where my other guns are kept. I have my routine set no matter what else is going on I can go in there, choose what firearm I am going to carry and go through my loading routine and take a moment to get my head and butt wired together before leaving the house.
    I do the same thing you do. I have a dedicated home gun and a dedicated carry gun (s) I agree that aznav did a good thing by honoring his guests. Its good that he shared this lesson with everyone. It will keep us all on top of our game.
    aznav likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    You could have driven 30 minutes to the range to shoot your rifle and realize when you are on the range that you forgot all your magazines and ammo. Not that I did that mind you, I never do stupid things...
    I did this yesterday, actually. Granted, it was a borrowed rifle, but I forgot to ask if my buddy was bringing the ammo for it and I forgot to get some, myself. Guess I'll get sighted in later this week
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

GH
    I'll bet the gun was a lot lighter sans mag & cartridges, lol.
    aznav likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Here's a one up! Went to the range a few weeks ago and took the 40 caliber and left the magazines at home...took the 9mm magazines but left the 9mm pistol at home! That was the last time I did any drugs (just kidding antis). Don't get your britches up your butt. The first part was true...the second part ahhh not so much so.
    aznav likes this.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Why I ALWAYS check my stuff before heading out the door. Phone,gun,extra mag,one in the pipe,knife,OC gel,money,wallet,keys=Check. Just my routine I`ve done for years. Works for me.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StarPD45 View Post
    I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but that is the advantage of a good safe. Everything not needed all in one secure place.
    Amen and amen! We recently moved from Arizona and had to downsize into a small townhouse for a year. Then we will buy or build. First order of business is a safe. There is just flat no room for an extra pencil at this point.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Trying not to bust your chops
    Doesn't matter if I have company,my EDC is in a holster with 2 spare mags where they are "SAFE",any other guns get locked in the safe.Maybe it's just me but having company over doesn't make your house any safer from a home invasion or burglary so why are you disarming yourself and essentially making it almost impossible to access a loaded weapon if you need it.
    You can get one of these and keep a loaded gun from curious hands and eyes for under $35 shipped,I have one with a combination
    In Car Gun Lockers

PS I had a situation where I didn't holster my gun when I got dressed and left the house unarmed,went all over town and suddenly realized my holster was empty,I did have 2 spare mags of 45 Gold Dots I could have thrown at a BG
    Do you have a conceal throw-magazine permit?

In a culmination of the Perfect Storm and Murphy's Law, I have a combination pistol safe under my bed. The day they arrived was the day it decided to scramble the code. So, no pistol safe. It turns out these boys were pretty darn well behaved. Not like my boys growing up! LOL!! But, seriously, three boys under ten, under our small roof for four days would normally invite some inquisitive kids. They really did mind their business but even then, with permission, they managed to bust a couple things. Goes with the territory.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    You could have driven 30 minutes to the range to shoot your rifle and realize when you are on the range that you forgot all your magazines and ammo. Not that I did that mind you, I never do stupid things...
    I did that a few weeks ago. The good news was that was only a 5 minute drive. The bad news was that it also involved several hundred yards of walking up a Rocky path with probably 50 pounds of guns and ammo (I only forgot the mags for my new rifle).

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    aznav likes this.

My son came out and we went shooting. I unloaded my carry mag and loaded a spare with range ammo. When we got set up I drew and fired NOTHING!! I always carry with one in the chamber but had not done that when I loaded the magazine. It was VERY disconcerting. My thought was what if that had been a real need for the gun. I know that I stood there and did nothing for several seconds. In a real situation you may not have that time. I am much more careful now than I was.

Damnedest things happen when in a hurry. I do tend to agree the best and safest place for your carry is on your person or secured from curious little folk but easily accessible to you if needed even when company present.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    It can happen, once I carried all day with no spare magazine(s).

Another time before leaving for the day I dropped the magazine out of my 1911 did a pinch chamber check re-holstered grabed a spare magazine my phone my keys & left for the day.

When I returned home I wondered why I had a loaded .45 magazine on my dresser?

Kinda scary when I realized after I pinch checked my chamber I never returned my dropped magazine to my pistol! I wasent in a hurry just preforming a routine function. I would have thought I could have told the difference by the weight. I dident.

I now after a pinch check I also do a magazine seat check.

Feels like an AA meeting, so I might as well fess up. "My name is BugDude, and I have one worse than that."

Before I removed the internal lock flag on my S&W 442, I discovered that I had been carrying it FOR A WEEK with the internal lock engaged. A WEEK!!! I was carrying a paper weight. Sadly, being an airweight, it wouldn't even have done much good if I had tried to beat a BG with it. Right after that is when I did the spring and trigger job and removed the lock. I now use either my big safe, little closet 2 gun safe, or the padlock that came with my Ruger SP101 as a visual indicator rather than an internal lock. I felt like a doofus.

Coffee and donuts are on the table in the back of the room.
    aznav and JDE101 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I rather think you won't do that again - at least for a good long time.

Glad the lesson was reasonably painless.
    aznav likes this.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
    Why I ALWAYS check my stuff before heading out the door. Phone,gun,extra mag,one in the pipe,knife,OC gel,money,wallet,keys=Check. Just my routine I`ve done for years. Works for me.
    "OC Gel"? Dare I ask?

Distinguished Member
    Coffee and donuts are on the table in the back of the room.
    Hmmm, me thinks you are familiar with 12 Step meetings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links