Stupid is as stupid does!

This is a discussion on Stupid is as stupid does! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I gotta agree with the safest place is on your person crowd. I don't have kids or other people over to the house very often, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Stupid is as stupid does!

I gotta agree with the safest place is on your person crowd. I don't have kids or other people over to the house very often, but when they are, I don't change a thing! I am always armed (except in bed or in the shower) or have a firearm within arms reach. Actually I do change one thing--if company is over my firearm is on me and never beside me within arms reach. The other guns are locked in the safe. At night, my Kimber is in the nightstand. And it has been years since anyone stayed the night! Daughters think the house is haunted and won't stay. But that's another story!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I gotta agree with the safest place is on your person crowd. I don't have kids or other people over to the house very often, but when they are, I don't change a thing! I am always armed (except in bed or in the shower) or have a firearm within arms reach. Actually I do change one thing--if company is over my firearm is on me and never beside me within arms reach. The other guns are locked in the safe. At night, my Kimber is in the nightstand. And it has been years since anyone stayed the night! Daughters think the house is haunted and won't stay. But that's another story!
    You know, I'm really beginning to lean this way. A couple times it crossed my mind that if there were a break in when I was not in our bedroom, I would flat be out of luck trying to sprint back to the bedroom to retrieve my weapon. For awhile, I had some loaded guns scattered around the house, out of the way, but when one of my son's friends found one, that was the end of that. Good insight, everyone.

ps. I do home exorcisms and give a DC discount.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    You know, I'm really beginning to lean this way. A couple times it crossed my mind that if there were a break in when I was not in our bedroom, I would flat be out of luck trying to sprint back to the bedroom to retrieve my weapon. For awhile, I had some loaded guns scattered around the house, out of the way, but when one of my son's friends found one, that was the end of that. Good insight, everyone.

ps. I do home exorcisms and give a DC discount.
    I use to not carry at home--until I joined this forum and began reading a bunch of posts. Someone pointed out that 100% of home invasions occur at HOME! Got me to thinking! After that, I began carrying at home as well as when I go out. It's just part of getting dressed! I don't feel dressed now without it!

And my wife and I are comfortable with the spirits in our home, so don't need an exorcism. They are "friendly" and don't bother us. I'm not even sensitive to them--but the wife and the girls are.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Hmmm, me thinks you are familiar with 12 Step meetings.
    Not really...I quit being a quitter.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Trying not to bust your chops
    Doesn't matter if I have company,my EDC is in a holster with 2 spare mags where they are "SAFE",any other guns get locked in the safe.Maybe it's just me but having company over doesn't make your house any safer from a home invasion or burglary so why are you disarming yourself and essentially making it almost impossible to access a loaded weapon if you need it.
    You can get one of these and keep a loaded gun from curious hands and eyes for under $35 shipped,I have one with a combination
    In Car Gun Lockers
    PS I had a situation where I didn't holster my gun when I got dressed and left the house unarmed,went all over town and suddenly realized my holster was empty,I did have 2 spare mags of 45 Gold Dots I could have thrown at a BG
    I agree with your post but those 'gun safes' for cars make no sense to me.

I can secure (and hide) my gun with a cable or I can put another layer of access (undesireable) on it with one of those. But in either case, all it takes is cutting the cable to steal the gun. Correct?

I dont believe in cables as anything more than a momentary delay for any semi-prepared thief.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I agree with Duke...if you completely disarm yourself when there is company, you are leaving ALL of you vulnerable to attack. I dont see how a loaded gun on your person is not dangerous among visitors, is it? I do agree with securing all other weapons in the home if kids are present.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Cool

Subject says it all. A first (and hopefully last!) for me. Had company all weekend that included young children. For super safety, I put ammo in one part of house, magazines in another part, firearm in a third part. They left late yesterday so, last night I rounded up them all up. Later today, I had an appointment in the evening about seventy miles from home. Running late, I grabbed my favorite EDC, shoved it in my holster, plus extra mag and Surefire on the other hip and I'm out the door.

Just got home, butt dragging. Reached for my P30 and placed it on the end table next to the bed. Looking for the remote I spotted my pistol - without a mag in it! Strutted all over central Virginia with an empty pistol. Obviously, I did not collect all the mags. Unbelievable.
    Why would you want to seperate the firearm components and now create three "potential" places for visitors to find that you are having firearm(s) in your house?

Why not just keep the firearm (as a whole) in one safe and secured place.?

As a owner of firearm, it's our DUTY to (at least) invest in a secured box... so, in situations like yours, all the firearms (loaded preferred), mags & ammo can be kept in it. The key to this box should be kept on your body all times or atleast some place that is readily ( & fast) accessible.

Now just imagine that you were in a (break-in, theft.. etc) situation over that weekend & needed to have your firearm... it would have been sitting (in three places) totally useless.

Think it over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links