Stupid is as stupid does!

This is a discussion on Stupid is as stupid does! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Subject says it all. A first (and hopefully last!) for me. Had company all weekend that included young children. For super safety, I put ammo ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Stupid is as stupid does!

Distinguished Member

Stupid is as stupid does!

Subject says it all. A first (and hopefully last!) for me. Had company all weekend that included young children. For super safety, I put ammo in one part of house, magazines in another part, firearm in a third part. They left late yesterday so, last night I rounded up them all up. Later today, I had an appointment in the evening about seventy miles from home. Running late, I grabbed my favorite EDC, shoved it in my holster, plus extra mag and Surefire on the other hip and I'm out the door.

Just got home, butt dragging. Reached for my P30 and placed it on the end table next to the bed. Looking for the remote I spotted my pistol - without a mag in it! Strutted all over central Virginia with an empty pistol. Obviously, I did not collect all the mags. Unbelievable.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Well, at least you didn't forget to put gas in your tank.
    aznav, kroehl and msgt/ret like this.

I'm glad to hear you didn't have a reason to find out that it was empty earlier in the day.

This is a great example of why we should all make a habit of routinely performing an inspection every time we equip ourselves.
    ccw9mm, aznav, Jaxon06 and 1 others like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    aznav. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Whenever we vary from our routine things like this can happen.

Everyday here I have the same routine. My Glock remains loaded. Every morning I drop the mag, do a chamber check and holster.

I do applaud you for taking the time to think of your company and secure everything. At home I have a dedicated house gun that remains loaded and secured even when I am carrying on my person. When I do go out I have a large walk in closet where my other guns are kept. I have my routine set no matter what else is going on I can go in there, choose what firearm I am going to carry and go through my loading routine and take a moment to get my head and butt wired together before leaving the house.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    aznav. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Whenever we vary from our routine things like this can happen.
    That pretty well covers it.......

I found through experience that when I'm in a hurry, or being hurried, is when I make those kind of mistakes. It's taken quite a few years for me to devolop the self-discipline stop, assess, and 'carryon' with 'whatever' I happen to be doing. You did alright and it's a lesson learned. Take it onboard, apply that lesson, and carry on.
    aznav likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

StarPD45
    I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but that is the advantage of a good safe. Everything not needed all in one secure place.
    aznav, iblearning and CJM like this.

Trying not to bust your chops
    Doesn't matter if I have company,my EDC is in a holster with 2 spare mags where they are "SAFE",any other guns get locked in the safe.Maybe it's just me but having company over doesn't make your house any safer from a home invasion or burglary so why are you disarming yourself and essentially making it almost impossible to access a loaded weapon if you need it.
    You can get one of these and keep a loaded gun from curious hands and eyes for under $35 shipped,I have one with a combination
    In Car Gun Lockers
    PS I had a situation where I didn't holster my gun when I got dressed and left the house unarmed,went all over town and suddenly realized my holster was empty,I did have 2 spare mags of 45 Gold Dots I could have thrown at a BG
    iblearning, JDE101, aznav and 1 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Anytime you change your routine it can happen, especially if you get in a rush. Glad you didn't need it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Yesterday was not my finest either, Aznav.

I was on my cell phone as I was getting ready yesterday morning, and had it cradled while I grabbed wallet, keys, chapstick, pen, knife and headed out the door.

I was sitting at my desk at work, when I realized that I was unarmed.
    aznav likes this.

Just glad you didn't have to find out the hard way it was unloaded.
    aznav likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

CJM
    Having other peoples children in my home doesn't affect how I store my firearms. My carry gun is either holstered on my side or in the safe along with all the other guns.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Doh!

I try not to broadcast my stupid things; there's not enough room on the forum.
    minimalbrat, aznav and oakchas like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    You could have driven 30 minutes to the range to shoot your rifle and realize when you are on the range that you forgot all your magazines and ammo. Not that I did that mind you, I never do stupid things...
    aznav and Ksgunner like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    At least you had ammo on board. I have done the same thing under different circumstances.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Safest place for firearms around company is loaded, in holster, on your side
    Cowbilly32, JDE101 and VA_Glocker like this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links