Oct. 1st in Florida

This is a discussion on Oct. 1st in Florida within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ELCruisr Thanks Gimpy. I always want to see it in writing. The years have left me cynical for some reason. Do you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oct. 1st in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Thanks Gimpy. I always want to see it in writing. The years have left me cynical for some reason. Do you know if DEP has indeed made the rule change?
    DEPs rules CANNOT override a FSS. If they should just drag their feet and fail to revise the rule, statuatory law would prevail. I would and will carry as I please.

2. Remove Ads

Anyone know if concealed carry is legal in Broward County parks?
    I run my dogs, daily, in a Broward County park, and I carry, but I've never been able to find any legal docs on this.

County parks are not on the list of off limits places as per state law . If state law doesnt specify off limits , then it ok to lawfully carry .
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

Quote Originally Posted by dogrunner View Post
    DEPs rules CANNOT override a FSS. If they should just drag their feet and fail to revise the rule, statuatory law would prevail. I would and will carry as I please.
    Problem is you can be right and still have to pay a lawyer to stay out of jail..
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

The way it was explained to me (not by a lawyer), was that the new law lifted the state's ban, and that the federal dept that oversees the national forests doesn't prohibit firearms, it simply allows each individual state to regulate them.

State Parks I would think wouldn't be a federal matter. But then again I know little in the ways that government seems to work!

Either way, I guess it's not as cut and dry as it was presented to me. Looks like further research is in order.

I can see the possibility of encountering a long learning curve on the part of Florida State Park managers when it comes to the new law. One of my other hobbies (not as expensive as shooting) is geocaching. Earlier this year I wanted to hide a couple of geocaches in a state park close to me. Florida requires that permission be obtained from the park manager prior to placing geocaches within the park. I was surprised to learn that the park manager and his staff were all ignorant of the Florida requirement. They weren't even sure what a geocache was. This put me into a situation of either just dropping the idea of placing a cache there, or embarking on a quest to educate the manager and his staff. Since I am sometimes a glutton for punishment, I chose the latter. After two weeks of letter writing and three visits to the park office, I finally received a letter from the park manager thanking me for bringing the subject to his attention, and his complete approval for placing my geocaches. Now he and some of his staff members have developed an interest in geocaching and have even planned an event at the park next month to host other state employees on a geocaching hunt in the park. I just hope that H.B 1029 that Jeb Bush signed into law last June and went into effect Oct 1st gets more attention from state park managers than did the provision for geocaches that was promulgated to them two years before I approached them for permission. Time will tell.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Congrats to Florida. I first saw that announcement a couple months ago on packing.org. I have a Florida CCW myself so that's good news for me too.

Print the bill out and keep it with you.
    Not every one will be as informed as we are.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

We can carry concealed in National Forest's here in NM but must be careful entering a building in the Forest because the buildings are actually Government property. we cannot carry concealed in State Parks. NM is an open carry state, but I have not tried to carry openly in a State Park yet. I live by a huge National Forest and it makes no sense to go to the local State Parks and pay a fee.

However, It makes no sense to me to try and carry concealed in an area where you are probably wearing several layers of gear that would prohibit fast access to a concealed weapon. Almost everyone I meet out on the trail in the Forest is packing and openly packing. The protection is from both animals and human if the distinction can be made.

Tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links