Oct. 1st in Florida

This is a discussion on Oct. 1st in Florida within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That's right, it's Oct. 1, and starting today we can now legally carry in National Forests! (with CCW, anytime, not just hunting season) So...I hit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oct. 1st in Florida

Oct. 1st in Florida

That's right, it's Oct. 1, and starting today we can now legally carry in National Forests! (with CCW, anytime, not just hunting season)

So...I hit the range, which is in the National Forest here in Tallahassee, then did some 4-wheeling in my Jeep, all while gleefully packing.

I'll now feel much better when I take my kid out wheeling and we're "way" out there in the forest.

2. Remove Ads

Today's the Day...

Today's the day...I love Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

how about state parks?
    Mighty HD

Hehe, welcome to the club!

Uhhh, don't you mean we can now carry in state parks and state forests? The last thing I read said that the state had asked the national parks and forest supervisors to re-visit their rules but had no authority to force change there.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    It is both State Parks and National Forests permit holders can carry in now.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

THAT IS GREAT NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now all two legged, 4 legged and NO legged creatures better think twice about doing me harm while out in the woods.

Who is going to be a test case tomorrow when a park opens up and go ask the rangers?

Then show them HB1029
    Mighty HD

congrats folks !!!

Hopefully Georgia will follow next !.......

ElCruiser...

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Uhhh, don't you mean we can now carry in state parks and state forests? The last thing I read said that the state had asked the national parks and forest supervisors to re-visit their rules but had no authority to force change there.
    I believe that you are correct...still need to search it out.
    I was just in a State Park today...wanted to do a short visit...but they said no...gotta buy the sticker. Well, we were on our way home, so we didn't go in. I did ask the park ranger about CCW in the park, but he was uninformed. He did tell me though...honest...

"Well sir, I don't know much about the CCW laws, I don't think you can carry in the park, but let me tell you. Probably, 85-90% of the campers here will have some 'protection' in their campers (wink). In fact, I carry all the time without a permit...it's my constitutional right you know! It should be concealed anyway so no one can see it! Have a nice day!"

I had two impressions...one, he didn't know the law, and two, he didn't care either, he wasn't going to hastle anyone...

Well, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it...

Stay safe...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

From the NRA-ILA website:

(5) HB-1029 Firearms in National Forests & State Parks

A bill to restore the right to possess firearms for self-defense and other lawful purposes while in National Forests and State Parks in Florida. Passed the Florida Legislature 5/2/06.

HB-1029 Sponsored by Representative Dennis Baxley (R-Ocala) in the House and Senator Bill Posey (R-Rockledge) in the Senate does the following:

1. Repeals the law that bans firearms in National Forests in Florida (s. 790.11, 790.12, 790.14)

2. Directs the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to repeal its rule that bans firearms in State Parks (rule 62D-2.014(10).

3. Requires that all other applicable firearms laws be followed.

4. Requires that a new rule be formulated by DEP that allows firearms in state parks and stipulates that firearms shall at all times be in the possession of a responsible party or properly secured within or to a vehicle or temporary housing, which shall include motor homes, travel trailers, recreational vehicles, campers, tents, or other enclosed structures, while in state parks.

The law being repealed is obsolete. There are public shooting ranges in Florida's National Forests. FWC officers teach the firearms portion of Hunter Safety courses at these ranges and have been very concerned about violating this obsolete law. Further, there homes in National Forests and the old law violates their firearms rights. The DEP regulation that prohibits firearms in state parks VIOLATES state law (790.33)

The bill passed the House 90-27 and passed the Senate 31-6. Signed into law by Governor Bush on 6/7/06.

Wow, nice on the state parks. We just get national forests here.

EDIT: It appears after some research that I was wrong.
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; October 2nd, 2006 at 09:06 AM.

I also carry in National Forests (my cabin is in one) and go to our neighborhood shooting range (about 150 yards from the back door). In Minnesota, you have always been able to carry in National Forests and in the last year State parks.

Congrats to all the FL CC members!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thanks Gimpy. I always want to see it in writing. The years have left me cynical for some reason. Do you know if DEP has indeed made the rule change?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

ElCruisr,
    I don't know whether DEP has gotten around to making a rule change yet. However, I did find a little more info on HB1029 at Attorney Jon H. Gutmacher's website. He has posted a September 18, 2006 update to his book, Florida Firearms - Law, Use & Ownership - 6th edition. The update reads:
    HB1029 amended F.S. 790.11 such that beginning October 1, 2006, it is not illegal to have a firearm in a state park “when in compliance with all applicable Florida statutes”. I assume that means you are lawfully fishing, hunting, or camping (F.S. 790.25) – but it may also include CWP holders with a concealed weapon, or anyone not otherwise prohibited with firearms secured from theft in some reasonable manner when inside a vehicle or temporary housing. We’ll have to wait and see what regulations the agencies in charge adopt to understand the extent of this law due to its lack of clarity. The law also permits carry in national forests – but that has no legal force as federal law still controls there, and you still must obey federal park/forest rules – which generally prohibit firearms except for legal hunting.

Given his interpretation of HB1029, it might be prudent for anyone planning to carry in a state park, or national forest to check with the agencies that control them before assuming the new law completely eliminated all restrictions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links