Concealed Carry at Doctor's Offices

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry at Doctor's Offices within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; More of a hypothetical here than anything. I live in NC, and while signs have force of law there is no straight up limit to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry at Doctor's Offices

More of a hypothetical here than anything.

I live in NC, and while signs have force of law there is no straight up limit to carry (concealed or open) to hospitals, doctor's offices, etc..

What I'm curious about is how to properly go about CC'ing at my chiropractor's office. The building is not posted, though I'm 50/50 on if the owner would be okay or not with me CC'ing. Obviously, the doctor will be able to see I'm carrying when he goes to adjust my back. So I have a few questions:

1) Should I tell him before my appointment, or in the adjustment room, that I am carrying? Or wait until he says something about it?
    2) Since he is going to be adjusting my back several different ways, including placing pressure on both sides of my hip, should I take any precautions about how I am carrying?
    3) Also related to the above - if the answer to #1 is wait, should I not say *something* about it when he goes to adjust my hip on my carry side?

jcm
    I usually leave mine in the car. If I'm at the chiropractor it's because I need to be, and I don't want something like that in the way. I wouldn't want to take it off in the adjustment room and leave it (albeit within arms reach) exposed to ANYONE. I'm fortunate in that my Dr. knows I'm a shooter and has probably reasoned I carry anyway, as I suspect he does also.

You're correct that a Dr.'s office is not specifically off limits in NC. I would approach it in a different way for a chiropractor though. I would ask him before hand if a holstered firearm carried in a specific O'Clock position would hinder treatment. That gives him the opportunity to tell you whether he prefers you not carry at all in his office, or to just remove it during treatment. Otherwise you run the definite possibility of being asked to leave in the middle of an appointment and losing a Dr.

Don't let it be a surprise.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Since a Doctor's office in NC is not off limits, then obviously you are ok to carry in the office.

With that being said, because it is a chiropractor, and he will be making certain "adjustments", I think it would be common courtesy IF you were to say something along the lines of:

"Doc, I need to touch base with you on something before we get started. I'm a strong advocate of the 2nd Amendment and our right to keep and bear arms. Along those lines, I'm also a concealed weapons permit holder here in NC, meaning it is legal for me to carry a weapon. Do you have any objections if I am wearing my weapon in your office? And, if not, how would you like me to take care of my weapon while you are making your adjustments?"

Now, IF you carry ankle, fanny pack, pocket, etc, then it's probably a mute point...Concealed is concealed.......JMO
    TurboTurtle likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    If your state law does not prohibit doctors offices, I'd carry and let him know prior to disrobing. If he doesn't want my gun in his office, he doesn't want my money in his pocket.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I left my ccw in the truck on one of my trips to the dr. about a month ago...... he asked why i wasn't carrying that day and gave me a lecture about being prepared! he knows i usually carry and he carries himself (xdm .45)!

Take a backpack, briefcase or satchel with you and put your gun and holster in it when you are alone in the room. Why do you think you should let anyone know that you're carrying?
    jumpwing and Phillep Harding like this.

VIP Member
    I go in unarmed.

Although one day I was face-down on the table, when I remembered that my LCP was in my right rear jeans pocket. He worked me over and never noticed it.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    Take a backpack, briefcase or satchel with you and put your gun and holster in it when you are alone in the room.
    This solves the whole problem. Your gun is still under your direct supervision, it doesn't interfere with treatment, and the doctor continues to be oblivious to something he didn't need to know about in the first place.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Second amendment aside, as the wife of a chiropractor and DIL of two more, you may want to leave it in the car (or just take it off if you've spoken with the doc and (s)he doesn't mind) for no other reason than it can mess with your adjustment. If you have a good chiropractor, they rely a lot on studying the way your body stands/lays at rest and having a gun under one hip while you're on the table is going to alter their readings.
    TurboTurtle likes this.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Carrying anything on or near the waist can be the cause of what is sending you to the Cruncher. Try carrying elsewhere and seeing if your symptoms change. (I cannot carry even a wadded kleenex in my hip pocket without causing leg pains. /That/ was fun to track down.)

I second shifting the firearm, and perhaps holster, to a bag or briefcase. Most such offices have restrooms nearby.
    lyz_grace likes this.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Seeing as how I go there to be torqued and prodded in the areas where the gun usually rests, I leave it in the car. I don't like to, but my chiropractor doesn't have enclosed exam rooms, just semi-open cubicles. Sometimes I will pocket carry, but that is not my primary method. I do like the backpack idea though. I may start using that.

To any office but the chiropracter though, they don't need to know.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post

To any office but the chiropracter though, they don't need to know.
    Did you forget about the annual "Date with the Doc" where you don't even get kissed first? Or are you not quite old enough to run with the gray dogs yet?
    marcclarke likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    Second amendment aside, as the wife of a chiropractor and DIL of two more, you may want to leave it in the car (or just take it off if you've spoken with the doc and (s)he doesn't mind) for no other reason than it can mess with your adjustment. If you have a good chiropractor, they rely a lot on studying the way your body stands/lays at rest and having a gun under one hip while you're on the table is going to alter their readings.
    Thanks for the input. Hadn't thought about it affecting the adjustment at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    Take a backpack, briefcase or satchel with you and put your gun and holster in it when you are alone in the room. Why do you think you should let anyone know that you're carrying?
    I like the backpack idea. Normally I don't have the thought of telling someone I'm carrying, but this seemed like a possible exception given the circumstances.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Carrying anything on or near the waist can be the cause of what is sending you to the Cruncher. Try carrying elsewhere and seeing if your symptoms change. (I cannot carry even a wadded kleenex in my hip pocket without causing leg pains. /That/ was fun to track down.)

I second shifting the firearm, and perhaps holster, to a bag or briefcase. Most such offices have restrooms nearby.
    I've been going to the chiro for far longer than I've even owned a gun. 14 years of playing nets in hockey does not a happy back make.

I've carried into doctor's offices for an appointment, but I've avoided carry IWB/OWB if going for some sort of procedure or fiddling anywhere near where the gun's residing, for the reasons you're identifying. Just isn't worth it, IMO. And that has nothing to do with anti-gunner attitudes. Basically, it's just common sense, to keep a loaded firearm away from nearby manipulation/access.

In such situations where the procedure was a pants-on type thing, I've simply gone pocket-carry. At one doc, the procedures I was there for demanded clothes off, and I simply secured the firearm/clothing in a little locker until the procedure was over. These options will depend on the procedure and possible facilities for securing your weapon, if needing to disarm.

Worst case, I'd park as close as possible and leave it locked up in the car.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links