States' requirements on acquiring a firearm?

States' requirements on acquiring a firearm?

This is a discussion on States' requirements on acquiring a firearm? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does your state have significant steps, in addition to the national government's requirements, to acquire a firearm -- long gun, handgun, other? If your State ...

View Poll Results: Does your state have significant steps, in addition to the national requirements

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 19.42%
  • No

104 74.82%
  • Long gun

2 1.44%
  • Handgun

17 12.23%
  • other

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: States' requirements on acquiring a firearm?

VIP Member

Question States' requirements on acquiring a firearm?

Does your state have significant steps, in addition to the national government's requirements, to acquire a firearm -- long gun, handgun, other?

If your State has not already been reported, please comment with details, including State.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Kansas, nope!

In Virginia dealing with an FFL...2 forms. The BATF 4473 and the State Police SP65. No application for a permit to buy a firearm, no denial of the type other than Class III without proper paper work, no 30 or 1 day wait, no more only one hand gun a month, and no requirements in a private sale. Hopefully private sellers will be diligent and make sure the buyer at least has a VADL. Most private sellers in VA want to see a ccw which is a good thing. FFL approvals may take 2 minutes or 8 hours. No rhyme or reason.

Louisiana has a very significant constitutional amendment in the upcoming election that will toughen the state's constitutional protections for weapon owners and would give Louisiana the strongest gun protection in the nation. They say it could guard against possible future Supreme Court rulings that might affect the Second Amendment.

I don't have much doubt that is will pass overwhelmingly!
    joker1 likes this.

Oregon has two forms and about a 45 minute wait. That was at a gun show.
    Local gun store was about the same. No additional requirements.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    In Virginia dealing with an FFL...2 forms. The BATF 4473 and the State Police SP65. No application for a permit to buy a firearm, no denial of the type other than Class III without proper paper work, no 30 or 1 day wait, no more only one hand gun a month, and no requirements in a private sale. Hopefully private sellers will be diligent and make sure the buyer at least has a VADL. Most private sellers in VA want to see a ccw which is a good thing. FFL approvals may take 2 minutes or 8 hours. No rhyme or reason.
    Well done. Particularity the, "2 minutes or 8 hours. No rhyme or reason."

I deleted my less complete duplicate comment.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    Pretty much covers it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

In Oklahoma just fill out the form and have the FFL call it in. Takes about 5 minutes.

In Maine, we fill out the short form, they call it in , and out the door in approx. 20 minutes. No special permits required to purchase handguns, rifles or shotguns.

In Georgia it's very simple.

Florida, not really. Just background check and 3 day waiting period for hand guns, unless you have your CCW. Then you can take home same day.
    darbo likes this.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

Senior Moderator
    Arkansas...a NICS check.

If you have a CHL, then its waived.

No stupid,worthless,unconstitutional,liberal loving requirements.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    In North Carolina you must pay a $5 bribe to the local Sheriff’s office for a pistol purchase permit unless you have a CCW.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

In Tennessee 4473 and background check usually about 5 minutes. I was at a gun show last year took about 30 minutes for them to get the background done it was happening to everyone.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    In North Carolina you must pay a $5 bribe to the local Sheriff’s office for a pistol purchase permit unless you have a CCW.
    +1, this is why I voted yes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links