CCM in VA??

This is a discussion on CCM in VA?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Though this is my first post, I have been frequenting the forum since last few years. I am thinking about getting a ccw in ...

Thread: CCM in VA??

Cool CCM in VA??

Hi,

Though this is my first post, I have been frequenting the forum since last few years.
    I am thinking about getting a ccw in VA & was wondering about the laws, do's n' don't ... etc. for CCW in VA.

I have browsed in this forum and internet.. but appreciate to know your (first hand) experience of ccw in general & in VA.

Thanks.!!

2. Remove Ads

This should answer your questions. Good luck.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum from the Richmond area.

Both sites above will give you good information. VA is a gun friendly state, for both CC and OC. That said NoVA (especially Alexandria) and the Hampton Roads area's are not as OC friendly as the rest of the state. I both OC &CC and have never had a problem anywhere in the state.

Process to obtain a permit is pretty painless and not expensive. One of the things I like about VA, is they have 45 days to approve or deny. If neither has been done in that time period the county clerk must issue you a temporary permit, until the process is completed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Welcome

BTW, It is a "Concealed Handgun Permit." Other restricted weapons are still restricted with one.

Might want to check out Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL) from time to time and/or join us at our meetings.

Also, might want to join us on lobby day, Jan 21, 2013 -- to help advance the RKBA.

If you run into problems with your CHP, drop me a PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Alexandria carry

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

Both sites above will give you good information. VA is a gun friendly state, for both CC and OC. That said NoVA (especially Alexandria) and the Hampton Roads area's are not as OC friendly as the rest of the state. I both OC &CC and have never had a problem anywhere in the state.

Process to obtain a permit is pretty painless and not expensive. One of the things I like about VA, is they have 45 days to approve or deny. If neither has been done in that time period the county clerk must issue you a temporary permit, until the process is completed.
    I agree with your response, except for the comment about NoVA in general and Alexandria in specific. I OC all throughout the area and have never been negatively approached, accosted or even gawked at by anyone. Any comments made have been in support of open carry. If one goes to the Virginia section of the OCDO forum, you will generally find the postings in the NoVA Open Carry section typically "carried here, there ... No issues." As it should be.

Two brand new members in one thread! (At least in terms of posting) Welcome JamesCanby and VA_Glocker!

I can't give any info for VA (other than its for lovers!) but you are both welcome down here in Tennessee. Just remember for open carry in TN you must have you permit with you. I never will figure out our screwball law prohibiting open carry without a permit. I reckon I should start making calls and writing emails to the state legislature trying to get that changed.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Welcome.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Thanks for the welcome! I usually post on OCDO and am a member of VCDL. Born and raised in the People's Republic of Maryland, I recently moved across the river into the Commonwealth of Virginia ... Like moving to a different planet as far as 2nd Amendment rights are concerned.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum. The only other thing I can add is VA is very gun friendly in my experience.

Some counties in Virginia can be a pain to deal with. I live in Spotsylvania County and had my permit in 3 weeks...wifes permit took 4 weeks. I gotta love this part of the country. I found that my biggest anxiety problem after getting the permit was to actually carry a concealed weapon that was loaded. That takes some getting used to, and then deciding whether I need to carry to that place or this place. I am getting a plan developed where I can pickup my pistol and go or just leave it at home. Carrying a loaded 40 caliber pistol concealed down main street takes some getting used too, I almost never carry open. That is an itch I probably need to scratch just so I can adjust to the stares and OMG's. When I am able to wear it on my belt and I feel it has become an accessory to my wardrobe I will know I am fully comfortable carrying a loaded weapon anywhere lawful and prudent to do so.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    I found that my biggest anxiety problem after getting the permit was to actually carry a concealed weapon that was loaded. That takes some getting used to, and then deciding whether I need to carry to that place or this place.
    As always, YMMV.

However, I find the opposite to be true. Not carrying feels strange and creates anxiety. Maybe, in time you will, also.

As to "need" to carry. I sugest you try to move pass that concept. IMHO, "need" based carry is not "needed" or wise. When the one incident actually arises where I want my firearm, what I might have thought I might "need" on that outing is imaterial. I don't only carry a spare tire in the vehicle bassed on that place or this place.

As I have posted before, What does “need” have to do with the American way?

Do we “need”:

• Cars that can exceed the speed limit, sometimes more than twice the max speed limit?

• SUV & trucks that can haul or tow far more than some owners will ever haul or tow, again often well above the speed limit?

• More vehicles registered to private owners than there are licensed drivers?

• The square footage of the average new single-family detached home?

• Theater sized TVs in those homes?

• Cell phones for instant gratification – especially while driving?

• All the rest of the high tech devices to provide instant gratification – excuse me, connectivity / communication?

• Devices w/ 4G connections, when many consumers would not recognize 4G even if 4G hit him or her in face?

• To be answering those devices in restaurants, churches, and all sort of public places?

• A plethora of fast food chains and local joints serving far more salt, fat and calories in a meal than a body needs in a day?

• Store shelf after store shelf and freezers full of high-salt, high-fat, high-caloric, caffeine added, adulterated foods?

• Store shelves stacked with beer after beer brand, including many from around the world?

• Bin after bin of fresh out-of-season and non-local produce flown in from around the world?

• A fishing pole unless to catch fish for food in order to survive?

• Fire extinguishers -- as they are difficult to use in an emergency? (Why not just call the fire department. They can get there as quick as an LEO. When seconds count what are a few minutes, anyway?)

• A first aid kit? (Shouldn't injuries be tended to by a professional and the ambulance can get there as quick as an LEO. If that's quick enough to stop a crime, why not for injuries?)

Once we as a society actually function on the bases of “need”, I’ll consider “need” relative to the ready availability of a gun or guns. In the meantime, I’ll work on the same level of “want” not “need” that we-as-a-society operate on — across the board.
    Last edited by DaveH; October 14th, 2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: bolding
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    This should answer your questions. Good luck.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Welcome

BTW, It is a "Concealed Handgun Permit." Other restricted weapons are still restricted with one.

Might want to check out Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL) from time to time and/or join us at our meetings.

Also, might want to join us on lobby day, Jan 21, 2013 -- to help advance the RKBA.

If you run into problems with your CHP, drop me a PM.

Thanks for the warm welcome to this forum. I will look at those sites for more information... thanks for sharing them. Hopefully, one day I get my cc permit.

I have been in VA from past more than a decade now, so have seen my share of people oc. Myself, am not sure would want to do that as I feel it's a 'magnet' for people to look at you more than an ordinary Joe out there. So, in short don't want to advertize to the good and bad of society, by oc.

Hence, chose to get cc permit.

Thanks again.!

Links