Gunbuster Signs - Page 3

Gunbuster Signs

This is a discussion on Gunbuster Signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, the end-quote tag wound up on the wrong line....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Gunbuster Signs

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Yes, the end-quote tag wound up on the wrong line.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I'm all for boycotting, but you should have honored the deal you made with them, and then not gone back. Next time you order out ask the place if they allow guns if you feel so strongly about it. Don't set the owners back because you were ignorant to their position.

Just sayin'
    By their accepting the order, they imply that I would be able to pick up the product at the store. The sign says that I cannot enter. Do they have an outside window for pickup? (I seldom drive anywhere these days, so I'm on foot, bike, or city bus. With how many miles to travel in order to stash my firearm? Plus another round trip to pick up the pizza?)

I suppose I could call them on my cell phone and tell them that I am standing outside, but cannot enter because I'm carrying and their sign says for me to stay out.

If I'm going to call them, I might as well call them from the comfort of a restaurant that is not posted against firearms. And tell them where I decided to grab a bite and why.

here's the thing: the right to bear arms is about possessing guns on your property and public property. Its not about private property. Why can't folks do business with people who don't want firearms other than their own, on their property?

its all about respecting rights. Respecting our 2nd Amendment rights and respecting THEIR private-property rights.

The two shouldn't be in any way mutually-exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Actually it has been discussed before.

While we have a right as an individual to carry, we do not have the right to force that belief on others. A business, as a private entity has the right to not allow guns. If you elect to frequent a business that does not allow carrying, then abide by their rules, or find someplace to shop.
    Well that's your opinion

I dont allow them to censor my First Amendment rights and I dont allow them to censor my 2A rights either.

OTOH, I do not impose my 1A rights on business owners, nor do I impose my 2A rights on them. I conceal both my opinions and my firearm.

In my state, such signs do not carry the wt of law (except in certain city, county, & all fed bldgs). However if you are found to have a firearm they have the right to ask you to leave and you must or face trespassing charges. I would leave without argument.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    You're right. I shouldn't have started off with that statement. I have edited my original post and deleted it.
    Well, it has been discussed IN DEPTH here many times. But you are new and may not realize it.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    Kinda hard to honor it when, as it sounds, he was already armed.

I'm with the OP in that if I order something from a business that I have to go to to retrieve, but I don't know their 'rules' until I get there, then I'm not going to choose a comprimise of my safety over honoring my deal.

If they feel so strongly about negating their patron's right to safety, then they have the responsibility - rather than the new patron - to communicate their policy over the phone, or at the very least on their web site.

That's my take on it.
    x2

Phillep Harding likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Order it delivered or ask them to bring it out to you as a compromise.
    Or choose not to support a business that is anti-gun.

Keep in mind tho, many chains/franchises may not have a choice, or even some private business owners. THey may have to post signs as policy or for insurance reasons.

Depends on where you stand.

I am not a 'blanket' action person, I at least try to discover the reason behind something if it's local to me.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    here's the thing: the right to bear arms is about possessing guns on your property and public property. Its not about private property. Why can't folks do business with people who don't want firearms other than their own, on their property?

its all about respecting rights. Respecting our 2nd Amendment rights and respecting THEIR private-property rights.

The two shouldn't be in any way mutually-exclusive.

Here's the thing. The people who don't want firearms other than their own on their property have every right to compel compliance with that proviso.

I desire to carry arms for self-protection and want to be allowed to carry anywhere that self-protection could become a necessary measure. I have the right to choose not to trade with someone who denies my ability to carry arms in his establishment.

My choice to deny an establishment the benefit of my business because of a no-firearms policy accomplishes two things. The first is that I don't have to disarm. The second is that I don't have to spend my money to support their business when I disapprove of their no-firearms proviso. In this manner their property rights are respected and my Second Amendment rights are not compromised.

Of course this is a mutually exclusive arrangement as it should be. They don't gain the benefit of my business and I don't gain the benefit of their goods or services. With very little planning though I can go down the street where there are no signs posted and satisfy my needs with a competitor. I also gain the gratification of denying a business having an ideology with which I don't agree... and there's something to be said for that.

It's a (mostly) free country.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Here's the thing. The people who don't want firearms other than their own on their property have every right to compel compliance with that proviso.

I desire to carry arms for self-protection and want to be allowed to carry anywhere that self-protection could become a necessary measure. I have the right to choose not to trade with someone who denies my ability to carry arms in his establishment. My choice to deny an establishment the benefit of my business because of a no-firearms policy accomplishes two things. The first is that I don't have to disarm. The second is that I don't have to spend my money to support their business when I disapprove of their no-firearms proviso. In this manner their property rights are respected and my Second Amendment rights are not compromised.

Of course this is a mutually exclusive arrangement as it should be. They don't gain the benefit of my business and I don't gain the benefit of their goods or services. With very little planning though I can go down the street where there are no signs posted and satisfy my needs with a competitor. I also gain the gratification of denying a business having an ideology with which I don't agree... and there's something to be said for that.

It's a (mostly) free country.
    you're not understanding. The owner of that business may VERY MUCH support & defend your 2nd Amendment Rights. But as a Libertarian he also supports his rights, as a business owner, to establish whatever rules he likes..for his private property.

The 2nd Amendment ends at his front door. It has no bearing or influence or application. There is nothing contrary to the 2nd Amendment for a business-owner to want no privately-owned guns in his store.

at least, this is a purely Libertarian view of the issue.

VIP Member
    you're not understanding. The owner of that business may VERY MUCH support & defend your 2nd Amendment Rights. But as a Libertarian he also supports his rights, as a business owner, to establish whatever rules he likes..for his private property.

The 2nd Amendment ends at his front door. It has no bearing or influence or application. There is nothing contrary to the 2nd Amendment for a business-owner to want no privately-owned guns in his store.

How much more respectful of his libertarian rights can we be than to not go through his front door?
    bmcgilvray and wmhawth like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Yes, he's free to want no privately owned guns in his store. I'm free to choose to avoid his store for that reason alone.

Ain't it a great country?!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How much more respectful of his libertarian rights can we be than to not go through his front door?
    but you're electing to not shop at his store, simply because he is choosing to enjoy his private-property rights.

his insistance on not allowing guns in his store, is not an infringement upon you 2nd Amendment rights, as the 2nd Amendment only involves public property.

but you're electing to not shop at his store, simply because he is choosing to enjoy his private-property rights.

his insistance on not allowing guns in his store, is not an infringement upon you 2nd Amendment rights, as the 2nd Amendment only involves public property.
    Yep. Respecting his rights while exercising mine. Pretty simple actually.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    How much support would he have if the sign on the door said "Whites Only"?
    arkansas ducker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    How much support would he have if the sign on the door said "Whites Only"?
    Apples and propane grills you are comparing there.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links