Help needed at NRA HQ w/FL NRA Instructor Limited Firearms Proficiency Declaration

Help needed at NRA HQ w/FL NRA Instructor Limited Firearms Proficiency Declaration

This is a discussion on Help needed at NRA HQ w/FL NRA Instructor Limited Firearms Proficiency Declaration within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to this forum, but hoping someone might be able to help. I live in Northern Va and shoot once a month or so ...

Thread: Help needed at NRA HQ w/FL NRA Instructor Limited Firearms Proficiency Declaration

I'm new to this forum, but hoping someone might be able to help. I live in Northern Va and shoot once a month or so at the NRA HQ range. I travel to Fl regularly on business. My job takes me to less than desirable places through out the state. My company has a secured office just outside Jacksonville. I am applying for a FL CW license. I completed handgun safety training years ago and the typical 4 hr class for the VA and Utah permits locally. Anyway, FL requires that I demonstrate "Limited Firearms Proficiency" to a NRA instructor. I've called a few companies, they want $120+ for a new class.

Does anybody know of an instructor that can witness my "proficiency" and sign FL req. statement? ("Within limited presence and purview, I observed _________ competenly load, unload and successfully discharge a handgun in a secured shooting environment free of distraction.")

I'm willing to pay, but don't need a 2 hour class.

Thanks

VIP Member
    Welcome from Virginia.

You have access to the NRA headquarters and their range. There is no one there who can do the certification for you?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you have a Va. permit it is honored it Fla. no need to get a Fla. permit.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    If you have a Va. permit it is honored it Fla. no need to get a Fla. permit.
    Unless you're moving to FL with the new office. Then your VA permit will be good for 90 days after you establish residency.

As for the requires competency, statute 790.06 states:

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
    6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
    7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

So, if you have a firearm safety certificate from any of the above or a DD-214 showing award of firearm qualification, that's all you need.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I understand your situation. But for me this would be a good excuse to take a good handgun combat course.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I woudl be happy to do it for you if you were here in CO. Unfortunately, since you are not, and I do not get to VA often, I can not help you.

But, as mentioned, if you have access to the NRA HQ Range, I am suprised that there is nopbody there willing to observer your skill level and sign a statement for you.

Best of luck.

VIP Member
    Just another thought. Have you checked at Blue Ridge Arsenal to see if they had anyone who could do it for you?

Welcome to Blue Ridge Arsenal - The Largest Shooting Range in Northern Virginia
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll ask around more at the range. I did ask one instructor that I'd seen around a lot, he's response was "I charge $125/per course, sign up". Ya sure. I did not think Fl had resoprosity with VA, that might end this whole effort. I really did not think this was going to be such a big deal. For $25, I can can enter a shoot at the range, from the list above that should qualify.
    Thanks again

Sponsored Links