Do I need a Sports mans handgun permit in Pa

This is a discussion on Do I need a Sports mans handgun permit in Pa within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a regular concealed permit in Pa. If I go hunting, do I also need the Sportsmans permit to carry while hunting? or is ...

Thread: Do I need a Sports mans handgun permit in Pa

Do I need a Sports mans handgun permit in Pa

I have a regular concealed permit in Pa. If I go hunting, do I also need the Sportsmans permit to carry while hunting? or is my LTCF good enough? Can I carry concealed with my LTCF during any hunting season? RIFLE, BOW, MUZZLE loader?

I see nothing in the PA gun laws that says I can't carry for protection while hunting (unless I am hunting on state land or something). So how does CCW and hunting work together?

2. Remove Ads

hunting

I could be wrong but my Dad handgun hunts and is a CCW but still had to get a sportsman license but then again he (we) hunt state game land.I will call and find outfor sure tho.
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

I don't want to handgun hunt. I want to carry my XD for the same reason I carry it daily for protection against two legged predetors. And/or for snakes.

Firearms are NOT allowed at all during archery season. They must NOT be possessed while archery hunting. Check page 32 of the rules booklet you should have received w/ your license. You can verify what I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    And/or for snakes.
    you don't need a handgun for snakes in PA!!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Firearms are NOT allowed at all during archery season. They must NOT be possessed while archery hunting. Check page 32 of the rules booklet you should have received w/ your license. You can verify what I am saying.
    Unfortunately I can't hunt this year because of c5-6 replacement but I knew there was something in the book about it but have never considered carrying while archery hunting which is all I do
    US Paratroopers give the enemy maxnimum opportunity to give his life for his country

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post

Which License? I got a Pamphlet with my LTCF, there sure isn't a page 32. So I guess you mean a hunting license, which I don't have. I have never been hunting before, so it is all new to me. It makes you wonder though why you get a book with at least 32 pages for hunting animals but a trifold pamphlet for a License to carry a concealed firearm. I'll have to get the book and read it through.

you don't need the permit to carry if you have the CCW.

Its an either/or thing, states it in the hunting book every year.

license would be the hunting license, not any type of ccw type license/card.

I would like to carry on the rare occasion I wander out towards the center of the state and archery hunt by myself. There have been "unofficial" sightings of cougar. The Game comission is hush about this, but there is rumor/speculation that cougars are being re-introduced back into PA.

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    Which License? I got a Pamphlet with my LTCF, there sure isn't a page 32. So I guess you mean a hunting license, which I don't have. I have never been hunting before, so it is all new to me. It makes you wonder though why you get a book with at least 32 pages for hunting animals but a trifold pamphlet for a License to carry a concealed firearm. I'll have to get the book and read it through.
    I never even got the tri-fold pamphlet.
    I've been to the PD and State Plolice trying to get any info and none seems to be available.

To carry a handgun FOR hunting in PA, as long as you have the LTCF it does not matter which reason you gave. At least thats what Jack Lotwick (Sheriff) told me.
    I think a problem might be that you would be carrying a autoloading handgun while hunting. (when you get your hunting license see page 20) - I know you can't hunt with them so you may be breaking a game commision law if you even had it with you.
    If you want to know what a Game Comission Officer has to say about it, I'd call the Headquaters in Harrisburg at (717) 787-4250
    Two of my favorite responses:
    "What is it about gun control laws that makes you feel safe?"
    "For the same reason I always wear my seatbelt."

Did you get your LTCF from the Sherriff? That's who has the pamphlet. They actually didn't give it to me. It was on the table with the free gun locks and I took it.

Links