cc to a funerals

This is a discussion on cc to a funerals within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it proper cc to a funeral....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: cc to a funerals

cc to a funerals

Is it proper cc to a funeral.

2. Remove Ads

why not? how is it diff hen any other place?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Yes.

Concealed carry is to keep the living alive.
    miller_man and mrkurt like this.

VIP Member
    I have in the past. If there is a church service involved with the funeral, be sure church carry is not in violation of the law. Some states do not allow for carry in churches.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I have in the past. If there is a church service involved with the funeral, be sure church carry is not in violation of the law. Some states do not allow for carry in churches.
    Like Georgia. So if the service is in a church, then proper or not, it's illegal.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    In my state, NC, funerals are one of the places that are expressly denied. I assume that some stinking anti idiot thinks that it is a place or event where people need to be [sarcasm]prevented by law[/sarcasm] from carrying for safety because someone may be emotional. Stupid.

VIP Member
    I don't know why I would not. Keep in mind lots of people hug you alot and you should consider what type of system you are going to carry. There will be people that do not know you carry and may not understand, it is not the time or place to get into that conversation.
    Yetiman, 9MMare, IWLAFART and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Proper is better stated as legal. There are some states, such as NC mentioned above, that expressly prohibit firearms at funnerals. I guess emotions may run too high. If it's legally concealed, it shouldn't be a concern.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I CC a LCP in my pocket nearly everyday. When I was getting dressed to go to my Dad's funeral, my suit pants felt odd with the empty pocket, so I dropped the LCP in my pants pocket as usual and went on my way. I wasn't expecting any trouble, it just felt better, however an unusual thing happened at the cemetery.

During part of the services, out of nowhere a homeless-type guy on a bicycle rode right up to the gravesite, claiming he was "family". He didn't know it but the funeral director was a long-time friend of ours, so she quietly called his bluff on being a relative and sent him on his way. The homeless guy could have been mental and pulled out a weapon of some sort as he was asked to leave. You just never know what's around the corner.

Don't get me wrong, we don't have any justification for shooting a homeless guy on a bike at a funeral. It was just an odd thing to occur, that you wouldn't expect, and does cause your radar to go off. It could have been one of those things that escalate and turn real nasty.

I'm glad nothing happened, but it would have been interesting to see how the funeral home staff (mostly older folks) would have handled this guy had he become combative. Without any prompting I'm certain that 5 out of the 6 pallbearers would have sent that guy away in a hurry.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

criminals don't care if you are at or coming from a funeral
    marcclarke likes this.

VIP Member
    Yup, proper.

And legal here in Virginia, even in a church that is not posted see http://www.ag.virginia.gov/Opinions%...043%20cole.pdf
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Proper? In terms of propriety, how would it not be? I'm not criticizing, just asking.

For example, it is proper to carry a cell phone to a funeral? IMO yes. It is proper to have it turned on audibly or answer it during a funeral? IMO no.

Propriety is in the realm of personal and traditional circumstances....so there may always be differences of opinion.

To consider carrying a gun improper, to me that implies there is a question as to it's value and....the value of other people's opinions. OTOH, if a gun is concealed...who is the one/parties concerned?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I don't know why I would not. Keep in mind lots of people hug you alot and you should consider what type of system you are going to carry. There will be people that do not know you carry and may not understand, it is not the time or place to get into that conversation.
    Yeah, be careful of HOW/WHERE you carry. A lot of hugs, and etc. ,...Don't want a hand to land on your weapon

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I OC a lot, however recently at my FIL’s funeral I concealed.
    My personal opinion yes appropriate, OC for that I am not sold on unless they were an OC advocate themselves, but again only my opinion.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

CC to all places that law does not specifically name illegal to do so
    DaveH and Jaxon06 like this.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links