Pulled over by a cop

This is a discussion on Pulled over by a cop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mg27 Simple mistake , anyone could of done the same thing, Especially when It's not your vehicle. In Some states you are ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Pulled over by a cop

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    Simple mistake , anyone could of done the same thing, Especially when It's not your vehicle. In Some states you are not required by law to inform the police you are carrying, In others you must, However, Me personally? I would just let the LEO know I'm carrying so there are no suprises.
    There might still be a surprise for you if you do that.
    mlr1m and 9MMare like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

2. Remove Ads

Interesting to know if your issuing agency disseminates the info. We were told for our issuing agency that the officer has no way of knowing or che king except your permit card or going to the main office of issuing agency. Some have mentioned that their states attach it electronically to their dl so if they run your license they will know.

Let us know what your research turns up. Stay safe. I have done the lights thing as well. Disadvantage of having auto headlights on some vehicles and not others.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I've heard LEO's complain here if someone hands over their permit when they don't have a firearm on them - kind of a what's the point thing. Of course, in FL there is not duty to inform and permit info is not avail to LEO's unless they specifically call in to ask - our permits are issued from the Dept of Agriculture not from a law enforcement agency.

On the other hand, never do what someone did to a friend of mine when she pulled over someone...he waved the gun over his head back and forth when she pulled him over - TOTALLY freaked her out! The reason he waved the gun...just to let her know he had one...and he had a permit....

Distinguished Member
    If you're not carrying a weapon you don't even need to have your CC permit with you, much less hand it to an officer that has detained you... nor do you need to inform him, even if you are in a "must inform" state. If you don't have your weapon with you, but yet you feel compelled to hand over something other than license / registration / insurance, give him your library card and ask him if he's read any good books lately.
    Blackheart6 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    My State won't let me laminate mine, its just a piece of waterproof plastic paper. It is required to disclose here, so i keep it folded over my DL along with my motorcycle reg and ins papers. I think making it fast and easy for the cops has resulted in more warnings and fewer citations, not that I make a habit of getting pulled over.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    I The officer made no mention of my permit etc so my question is mostly for any LEO out there. Does it show up on the officers computers when they run my license/ plates etc, or should I tell them beforehand etc. Thanks
    It does here. It shows up to them the minute they run the tag on the car.... or a driver's license.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Thanks Eagleks. It's good to know this before any possible run-ins with the law.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    I've heard LEO's complain here if someone hands over their permit when they don't have a firearm on them - kind of a what's the point thing. Of course, in FL there is not duty to inform and permit info is not avail to LEO's unless they specifically call in to ask - our permits are issued from the Dept of Agriculture not from a law enforcement agency.

On the other hand, never do what someone did to a friend of mine when she pulled over someone...he waved the gun over his head back and forth when she pulled him over - TOTALLY freaked her out! The reason he waved the gun...just to let her know he had one...and he had a permit....
    Wow. Some guy looking for a Darwin Award! For some subjects, verbal communication is the ONLY way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You are not in a state that requires notifying the officer unless he asks, but you SHOULD know your own state's laws...that's a must.

Look in here...USA Carry - Your #1 Concealed Carry Resource and Community

Hit the CC Permit info then your state, know the laws of your state and any state you travel in...
    Know your state's laws could help prevent an expensive mistake.IMHO
    A question on VA CC law..

Here's what it says ...

"Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
    The person issued a permit or in possession of a de facto permit must have the permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and must display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department upon demand by a law enforcement officer. "

So if stopped by traffic cops (breaking a traffic rule), do we need to let the officer know that we have a CC permit?
    I guess, its not required to say it, if I am not carrying a firearm. But, what about the case when I have a concealed firearm during this stop.. do I say that I have it??

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    My State won't let me laminate mine, its just a piece of waterproof plastic paper. It is required to disclose here, so i keep it folded over my DL along with my motorcycle reg and ins papers. I think making it fast and easy for the cops has resulted in more warnings and fewer citations, not that I make a habit of getting pulled over.
    Your location has you in California. If that is true, then it is NOT required to notify where you are. Only AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX require it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    For my safety and his, I don't inform unless absolutely required by law.
    What do you mean by this?

In a lot of states as soon as he gets behind you and runs your plate, he will already know you have a concealed carry permit. This may put him on edge a little more in what is already a stressful situation for an officer. Now, when you fail to tell him that you have a weapon (even when he probably already knows you do), it is going to make the situation even more tense. Now, say you reach in your pocket or your glovebox for your insurance card and registration. You can imagine what the officer might think you are grabbing for. In my opinion, its safer for you and the officer if you tell him you are carrying a weapon. You want to de-escalate the situation. You don't want any misunderstandings between two armed parties in a stressful situation.
    CaptSmith likes this.

My understanding in MT is that it's linked to your vehicles registration, as well as your driver's license. I know the HP officer asked my Mom about it when she was pulled over awhile back (for failing to renew her registration 8 months ago. lol). The only time I was pulled over was out of state, and I was unarmed so it was a moot point anyway.

In North Carolina you must notify any LEO when engaged if you have a CCW permit regardless of carry status. They also will get a hit automatically if they run your DL in this state. If you fail to notify and they discover by the hit it's grounds for revocation on a NC permit.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_Glocker View Post
    A question on VA CC law..

Here's what it says ...

"Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
    The person issued a permit or in possession of a de facto permit must have the permit on his person at all times during which he is carrying a concealed handgun and must display the permit and a photo-identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the United States Department of Defense or United States State Department upon demand by a law enforcement officer. "

So if stopped by traffic cops (breaking a traffic rule), do we need to let the officer know that we have a CC permit?
    I guess, its not required to say it, if I am not carrying a firearm. But, what about the case when I have a concealed firearm during this stop.. do I say that I have it??

Thanks.
    I read that to mean that the officer must ask. But then one never knows how the Government might read it. They do not use the same language we do.

Michael

In Ohio we do not have to notify if we are not armed. They will know I have a ccl as soon as they run my plate. I know this for sure because I called the local police station and had a chat with the chief. He told me you don't have to notify if you aren't armed, I already knew this. If you have questions call and ask. Not all police are after us you know. He said he wished more citizens would pop in or call and ask questions if they don't know for sure. I just had a friend that lives in another part of the state say a cop told him he had to inform no matter what. I said carry the darn laws with you. Seems not all cops know the laws. I and the Chief had a long chat and he said they have special meetings with all the officers anytime a gun law changes. Probably because my little town sure can't afford law suites lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links