Pulled over by a cop

Pulled over by a cop

This is a discussion on Pulled over by a cop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was recently pulled over for the first time since getting my CCW permit. I was the designated driver for a couple friends driving a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Pulled over by a cop

Pulled over by a cop

I was recently pulled over for the first time since getting my CCW permit. I was the designated driver for a couple friends driving a friends car and was pulled over (I didn't turn the lights on completely, just got the fog lamps on). Due to the smell of alcohol in the car I was asked to get out and do a field sobriety test etc. I was almost in a panic because I forgot to give the officer my CCW permit along with my license. The officer made no mention of my permit etc so my question is mostly for any LEO out there. Does it show up on the officers computers when they run my license/ plates etc, or should I tell them beforehand etc. Thanks
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

You are not in a state that requires notifying the officer unless he asks, but you SHOULD know your own state's laws...that's a must.

Look in here...http://www.usacarry.com/

Hit the CC Permit info then your state, know the laws of your state and any state you travel in...
    Know your state's laws could help prevent an expensive mistake.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

From what I've read, I am under the impression that you should inform the officer that you are concealing a firearm. In some states it is illegal not to do so. Also I know that officers can put in notes for when you get pulled over in the future, for example: "Has concealed carry permit"

The need to notify varies state by state, as does the ability of the cops to know if you have a CCW.
    Rock and Glock and oneshot like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You are not in a state that requires notifying the officer unless he asks, but you SHOULD know your own state's laws...that's a must.

Look in here...USA Carry - Your #1 Concealed Carry Resource and Community

Hit the CC Permit info then your state, know the laws of your state and any state you travel in...
    Know your state's laws could help prevent an expensive mistake.IMHO
    I'd recommend taking a driving course first.

zi just can't understand how people take the responsibility of carrying a gun, but won't obey a few simple driving laws.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Thanks for the link retsupt. That is quite helpful. I was sitting there slightly panicked while doing the light test and wondering if I should say something even though I didn't have a firearm on my person.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post

zi just can't understand how people take the responsibility of carrying a gun, but won't obey a few simple driving laws.
    Wow, he had his parking lights on and thought his lights were on. You've never made a mistake before?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Varob
    I was driving a vehicle that is not mine and I was unfamiliar with the operation of the lights (3 clicks instead of the 2 I am used to). I was pulled over within 2 blocks of the house I was leaving while on a very well lit street (hence I didn't immediately notice my lights were not on). I realize I should have been a bit more careful, but I was not exactly engaging in any dangerous behavior. I left the gun at home (I don't carry when going to the bar etc). If you have never made any such mistake then you are a better person than I. I simply thought I was being responsible leaving the gun at home and not letting other people drive drunk. I didn't post this so that you could ridicule me on my first driving infraction in the almost 10 years of driving, but more so to ask if LEO's see notes on their computers etc. I was aware that I had no obligation to inform the police officer that I have a permit, was just wondering if it makes things easier/ more difficult by saying or not saying anything at the start of a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    Varob
    I was driving a vehicle that is not mine and I was unfamiliar with the operation of the lights (3 clicks instead of the 2 I am used to). I was pulled over within 2 blocks of the house I was leaving while on a very well lit street (hence I didn't immediately notice my lights were not on). I realize I should have been a bit more careful, but I was not exactly engaging in any dangerous behavior. I left the gun at home (I don't carry when going to the bar etc). If you have never made any such mistake then you are a better person than I. I simply thought I was being responsible leaving the gun at home and not letting other people drive drunk. I didn't post this so that you could ridicule me on my first driving infraction in the almost 10 years of driving, but more so to ask if LEO's see notes on their computers etc. I was aware that I had no obligation to inform the police officer that I have a permit, was just wondering if it makes things easier/ more difficult by saying or not saying anything at the start of a conversation.
    One of my older Audi's has the 3 clicks instead of 2 and I've done the same thing on quite a few occasions and so did everyone that drove it for the first time. No big deal bro.

I too wondered if it showed I have a cwp in the computers..

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Does it show up on the officers computers when they run my license/ plates etc,
    That varies from agency to agency and state to state.

and wondering if I should say something even though I didn't have a firearm on my person.
    I live in a must-inform state, and according to the LSP here, if I'm not armed at the time there is no need for me to inform the officer that I have a permit. As far as whether you "should say something"? I believe you're wondering about a situation where the officers know you have a permit at the onset of the traffic stop, and you happened not to be armed so you don't tell him, though he's expecting you to, and you suddenly find yourself trying to explain your unarmed actions on the side of the road with an pre-aggravated officer?

I don't think a real clear-cut answer exists on whether you "should say something" and here's why. For example, when officers encounter armed concealed carriers on a traffic stop, some of them go to extremes of caution to remove the citizens weapon, separate the mags from the gun, etc; some of the other officers just nod "okay" and that's about it. Officers actions are different. That being said, I'd say that whether you "should say something" (though unarmed) will be met with a wide range of variation among officers as well.

A permit is not a "get out of a ticket" deal. Personally my goal is to not get stopped by leo in the first place, that's the first order of getting through concealed carry public life easy.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the link retsupt. That is quite helpful. I was sitting there slightly panicked while doing the light test and wondering if I should say something even though I didn't have a firearm on my person.
    If you didn't have a gun with you, then no. No reason to tell the LEO anything. As far as I know, not even the most anti gun states require notification if your not actually carrying.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

For my safety and his, I don't inform unless absolutely required by law.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I would say if you are not carrying at the time you got pulled over then there is no reason to inform the officer. Now if you we're carrying that is up to you to inform him since you're in a state that does not require you too.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post

Jeez, give the poor guy a brake. He got pulled over for driving a friends (unfamiliar) car and not having his headlights on. Why should he take a driving lesson? It's an honest mistake.

Simple mistake , anyone could of done the same thing, Especially when It's not your vehicle. In Some states you are not required by law to inform the police you are carrying, In others you must, However, Me personally? I would just let the LEO know I'm carrying so there are no suprises.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links