The Quest For Mediocrity - Page 2

The Quest For Mediocrity

This is a discussion on The Quest For Mediocrity within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Laugh all you want, but that is the "Training" industry in a nutshell. Oh, there are a few exceptions, but they are few and far ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The Quest For Mediocrity

VIP Member
    Laugh all you want, but that is the "Training" industry in a nutshell. Oh, there are a few exceptions, but they are few and far between.

I train (with professionals and "civilians") as often as time and finances allow. However, I suspect that, because I do not have a UFC cage in my basement and a fully operational shoot house in my back yard, these folks would call me a "sissy". Oh, well. I stopped being offended by name-callers a long time ago.

Am I a "sissy"? Come kick in my door in the middle of the night and find out.
    GH likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I thought it was inspiring.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array CIBMike's Avatar
    There is some truth there,nothing wrong with encouraging folks to push themselves.Awarness and acceptting reality is good ,fearmongering to push people in a desired direction for any reason is not good.I sense some fearmongering sprinkled in with reality in this article.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Unfortunately, for a forum titled "Defensive Carry", there seem to be quite a few.
    Agreed, but compared to some CCW forums this one isn't bad. From reading posts on this and other forums I have concluded that most people are confident there skills are up to speed. They shoot some groups at a bullseye target a few times year or go to an occassional IDPA match and feel they're good to go. Or like a recent conversation I had that had drifted to CCW, "I git me a buck ever year, I ain't wastin' money on no class", I agreed he was right. No point in arguing, he was happy. I tilted at those windmill's for several years and finally gave up. If people are happy, I'm happy for them.

Yes, some of what comes from Warriortalk for free is an ad. More often than not the ad contains information or maybe it just guilts us off the couch, at least those of us who are interested in such things. Either way it's a plus and it's free.

When I started carrying I spent quite a long time looking for an instructor. I wasn't so self deluted that I thought I knew anything about self defense with a pistol. But I was pretty sure there was more to it than shooting groups. I came out of the '70's martial arts "Kung Fu" craze. After a while you know whether you're talking to fighter or a fake. When I wanted to learn how to fight I found an instructor that had fought people. It made sense that I should look for the same in a self defense pistol instructor. I finally found Gabe Suarez. I looked at his background, all of it, and made my decision. Gabe met the criteria. He had sucessfully dealt, in the most violent of situations, with the type of people I wanted to learn to protect myself from.

If some find Gabe's background or S.I.'s marketing to be so offensive they refuse to train with him, I have no answer.
    ScottM likes this.

Corny. It's probably right, but corny nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I thought it was inspiring.
    I read your sarcasm and appreciate it.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Most real professional warriors don't go around telling everyone how great a warrior they are. Or that folks who aren't like them are sissies.

Just my experience. I'll leave it at that.
    OD*, lchamp, glockman10mm and 2 others like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Most real professional warriors don't go around telling everyone how great a warrior they are. Or that folks who aren't like them are sissies.

Just my experience. I'll leave it at that.
    But the Ultimate Warrior did!
    Consider matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to DwB donations. It's a rare for investment and charity to converge.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

That was pathetic macho BS. According to the author you can be a warrior or a sissy! No other options in this world apparently.

If you want to train constantly like a professional and roll around on the ground and shoot with two guns while jumping through the air, be my guest.

I guess I'm just a sissy.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I can't think of Gabe ever saying he was a great warrior. I can recall many times that he told others he wanted to ensure that they were the best warriors they could be. At times that has included recommending training from someone outside SI. At times it has brought new faces into the SI fold.

I'm not into hero worship. Gabe Suarez isn't my "guru" but he is someone that has taught me a great deal. He is one of many that I've learned from. I do like that he pushes the envelope and is willing to do things that others turn their noses up at. At the same time the Suarez guys are pretty quick to discount doing things that run counter to what they believe/teach. The XS Big Dot sights are a great example. They hate them and will laugh if you suggest any benefit to them. Yet I know several people that disagree, some as accomplished or moreso than anyone at SI. So I've learned to do have to take their disagreement with a grain of salt but it is difficult to argue with most of what they do.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Calling someone a sissy sounds like something a criminal would say to manipulate you to think a certain way, or do something...
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I hear about the silent warrior and some are, but some aren't so silent. Medal of Honor recipient Major Audie Murphy was one of WW2's most decorated soldiers, he starred in a movie about his exploits. He left Hollywood because he said it was full of fake tough guys. Navy Cross recipient Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell wrote a book about his experiences. Active duty Navy SEAL's just made a movie. SSgt Barry Sadler wrote and recorded a song. President and Medal of Honor recipient Colonel Theodore Roosevelt wrote a book of time in Cuba. Jim Cirrilo wrote a book about his experience's with NYPD's "stakeout squad". I think these men, with the exception of President Roosevelt and Jim Cirrilo would fall into the ranks of professional soldiers but they were warriors none the less. These are just a few I'm thinking of now.

Personally, I find nothing wrong with warriors sharing their exploits with us and if they profit from it so much the better. They have earned it.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

I'd say associating Gabe Suarez with those real warriors listed above is one hell of a stretch.
    OD* likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I didn't read anything in there about ninjas...are ninjas warriors, or are they just sissies? I'd go to a ninja school if I thought they were warriors and if I had a black outfit and shoes with cute little toe things.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Not stretch for me at all. BG's shot at Gabe and he sent them to the bone yard. A fight is a fight whether it's between two men or two nations. Gabe received commendations for his actions the same as the others. If Gabe's background is problem maybe we should understand that some of our most hearlded warriors are hardly bastions of virtue. Just a couple of examples. Cpl Charles "commando" Kelly received 11 decorations including the Medal of Honor in WW2, he died a penniless drunk. In an interview SSgt Barry Sadler said he wrote "The Ballad of the Green Beret" in whore house in Mexico. He also was convicted on a manslaughter charge. Major Audie Murphy was a gambler and was addicted to sleeping pills. Anyway, you get the idea.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Great read from the WarriorTalk News site:

WARRIOR TALK NEWS - The Quest For Mediocrity
    As an avid lepidopterist, I found the article highly offensive.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links