Shooting at Someone Driving At You

This is a discussion on Shooting at Someone Driving At You within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A recent (as in, 2 minutes ago) news story appeared stating am officer involved shooting of someone because they were backing their car towards the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shooting at Someone Driving At You

A recent (as in, 2 minutes ago) news story appeared stating am officer involved shooting of someone because they were backing their car towards the officer. As a Paramedic, I've also run on a call where someone rammed the officers car and the officer said if he was able to get the seatbelt off, we'd have been running a GSW instead of minor trauma.

This has me thinking: Has anyone ever seen a news story about a civilian shooting at someone in a car for apparently trying to run at them at a car? Or is it just one of those things where it's ok for the officer, but if a civilian does it, there's some esplainin' to do?

GH
    Oh, I'm sure there'll always be some splainin' to do if you shoot someone regardless of the circumstances.

to tell you the truth I'm not sure of the answer. In my heart & in my intellect he's coming at you with a dangerous weapon trying to harm/kill you. What I know is that if I were in that situation I wouldn't hesitate. If I couldn't get out of the way on time I'd be opening up with everything I had - normally 15 rounds - in the hopes that enough shots would shatter the windshield eventually making an opening for the rounds that would count. Now if I managed to get off to the side I'd have a better chance of a hit through glass through the driver's side window but that would be harder to explain since you got out of the line of danger on your own & the threat is over. Now it becomes revenge, something I'm a strong believer in, lol.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I believe most people are better off getting out of the way of a car. But, I am currently in a wheelchair (thankfully not permanent!) and would not be able to get out of the way.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Myk
    Unfortunately, dispatching the driver of the car wouldn't stop the car if you can't get out of the way. I doubt if anyone carries a weapon with THAT kinda stopping power!
    "When they bury me, make sure they bury me with my guns on. Im gonna need em. Cause when I get to the other side, there's some things that need straightening out." ~Bobaflex~

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    Unfortunately, dispatching the driver of the car wouldn't stop the car if you can't get out of the way. I doubt if anyone carries a weapon with THAT kinda stopping power!
    Shhhh. Some of the 1911 guys might argue that

Anyone that fires at the driver of a vehicle (LEO or not) will have some splainin to do. I've been in this situation before, but the driver was not just coming at us....we were in a fenced in parking lot and the driver made several "passes" at us trying to run us over. The threat had to be eliminated. Someone simply backing towards you probably does not warrant firing a shot, so long as you can hop out of the way or seek cover in time. Too many variables.

A guy who was using his car to try to hit me (several times) and to run me off the road while I was riding my motorcycle, HE was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon, felony evade & allude, wreckless endangerment, speeding, and a few other charges. .... besides the fact when he ran..... he didn't make the exit ...... rolling his car several times and totally destorying it. He was lucky really to be alive after that crash.

Backing up would be a very difficult one, as they may have just not seen you. But, flat coming at you ...... be ready to hire an attorney, because you'll be defending why you didn't just get out of the way or to protection.... and proving they actually had the intent to run you over. Not saying you wouldn't be able to, just saying you may end up having to defend yourself afterwards within the legal system.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Shooting at people in cars is what they do in the movies.

In the real world you just take two quick steps and get out of the way. Then you find a tree or building and get behind it.
    Jaxon06, thephanatik and smolck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Shooting at people in cars is what they do in the movies.

In the real world you just take two quick steps and get out of the way. Then you find a tree or building and get behind it.
    This. Don't stand in front of the car. Don't stand behind the car. I have never understood why one can't move out of the way if one doesn't put themselves needlessly in the "line of fire".....
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

if someone is trying to kill you with a car, shooting the driver won't stop the car from moving towards you.

best to jump out of the way.

....this isn't the movies, folks.

I would move off to the side unless of course you can jump like Kobe and simply jump over the car. Then don't even worry about it.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Can't remember the details, but I believe this happened last year in a grocery parking lot - might want to do a search.

VIP Member
    One of the examples used in the academy in reference to the use of force is the suspect using a vehicle. It is pretty straight forward.

Let's say that a car is speeding toward you the driver is intent on causing you harm. You have nowhere to go, you draw and fire your weapon hitting the driver and ending the situation. All good there was a direct, immediate threat and you had nowhere to go.

Same situation except at the last minute you jump out of the way and as the car passes you fire into the back window killing the driver. In this case you were not authorized to use deadly force.

The threat must be direct and immediate, i.e. car coming at you, once the car has passed it is not what he coulda, woulda, might have done the threat is gone. Now if he starts backing up, turns around and comes after you again it all starts over again.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    Any time your involved in a shooting the will be "some esplainin' to do".
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    One of the examples used in the academy in reference to the use of force is the suspect using a vehicle. It is pretty straight forward.

Let's say that a car is speeding toward you the driver is intent on causing you harm. You have nowhere to go, you draw and fire your weapon hitting the driver and ending the situation. All good there was a direct, immediate threat and you had nowhere to go.

Same situation except at the last minute you jump out of the way and as the car passes you fire into the back window killing the driver. In this case you were not authorized to use deadly force.

The threat must be direct and immediate, i.e. car coming at you, once the car has passed it is not what he coulda, woulda, might have done the threat is gone. Now if he starts backing up, turns around and comes after you again it all starts over again.
    That's my take on it. Well put.

Self defense is self defense. I wouldn't arrest someone for shooting at someone that had their car directed at them and was trying to actually hit them. A better idea, though, is to get the hell out of the way. I'm not taking time to pull my piece if someone is coming directly at me with a car.
    mg27 likes this.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links