I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car? - Page 2

I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car?

This is a discussion on I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Pythius have you frequently been the victim of crimes? why do you feel your safety is at such risk that you need ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    have you frequently been the victim of crimes?

why do you feel your safety is at such risk that you need to carry a gun in your car?
    Why do you think it's any of your business?

Got my first rifle at 15, bought my first handgun at 18, used it for self defense for the first time at 22. (Bunch of rapists were closing in on me and my girl friend.)
    lyz_grace and mprp like this.

GH
    blakebcg -

I don't know FL law so I won't comment on it but just because you're 18 doesn't mean that you'll never have to defend yourself. I certainly did at that age but I was in the Military.

Since your dad owns a LARGE gun shop you should tell him that he can get a space to advertise on this site. We'd be glad to have him & he'd be sure to get lots of exposure here.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Normally Hopyard is more reserved, I'll have to assume he didn't mean to come off so overbearing.

I absolutely support your right and your duty to protect yourself, at 18 or 81.

This being said, from a guy not too much older than you, hear this:

I've had a gun in my car since I was 19, I used to work in a fairly unsavory part of town. Even just a few years later though, I look back and see a completely different person than I am now, I was stupid at 19 (to put it bluntly). I would just like to drive home how possessing a weapon changes your responsibility to yourself and everyone around you. The younger you are, the more likely you are to do something incredibly rash, and nobody I know of is any exception.

So whether you have a gun or not, remember, don't go stupid places, do stupid things, or be near stupid people, ever.
    And if you do have a gun, something any young man would be wise to keep fresh in mind is to stay cool, calm, and collected, be smooth. If you're in an argument with a coworker, a girlfriend, a parent, a stranger, and you have a gun in your possession, GET AWAY. When tensions are high, having a gun around to possibly escalate the situation in a moment of poor judgement, is the worst thing that could happen. Remove you and your gun from the situation, or remove the situation from you and your gun, whichever is appropriate.

Now that I've said that, I welcome you to the forum and hope you continue to learn and provide for the defense of you and your loved ones.

What do you drive? I'm kind of car guy, as are many of us, and we could possibly help you decide on a proper location in your car to stow your weapon.
    mg27 likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    have you frequently been the victim of crimes?

why do you feel your safety is at such risk that you need to carry a gun in your car?
    ... Is becoming a "frequent victim" what you feel is necessary before someone takes measures to protect themselves? How about making an effort to not become a victim in the first place? I think you're on the wrong forum.
    FLArmadillo, darbo, GH and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    ... Is becoming a "frequent victim" what you feel is necessary before someone takes measures to protect themselves? How about making an effort to not become a victim in the first place? I think you're on the wrong forum.
    If I could like it twice, I would.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I urge caution before carrying concealed for anyone, especially someone so young, as one might make make rash decisions that will affect you for a lifetime. Be safe; be careful.

There is no need to place your registration elsewhere. If stopped, simply advise the LEO that your registration is in your glovebox as well as your firearm. Ask him how he'd like you to proceed. You might consider keeping a copy of the "conveyence" statute and the state's definition of "securely encased" as many LEOs, like your father, are not aware of this legality. Rather than argue the point, should you run across one of these "less-informed" officers, show him the statutes and ask him to read them before things proceed too far.
    That's a good idea, I'll print that out. I wasn't aware I could just have it encased in something. I might just zip it up in a bag and leave it in the side pocket of my door.

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Normally Hopyard is more reserved, I'll have to assume he didn't mean to come off so overbearing.

I absolutely support your right and your duty to protect yourself, at 18 or 81.

This being said, from a guy not too much older than you, hear this:

I've had a gun in my car since I was 19, I used to work in a fairly unsavory part of town. Even just a few years later though, I look back and see a completely different person than I am now, I was stupid at 19 (to put it bluntly). I would just like to drive home how possessing a weapon changes your responsibility to yourself and everyone around you. The younger you are, the more likely you are to do something incredibly rash, and nobody I know of is any exception.

So whether you have a gun or not, remember, don't go stupid places, do stupid things, or be near stupid people, ever.
    And if you do have a gun, something any young man would be wise to keep fresh in mind is to stay cool, calm, and collected, be smooth. If you're in an argument with a coworker, a girlfriend, a parent, a stranger, and you have a gun in your possession, GET AWAY. When tensions are high, having a gun around to possibly escalate the situation in a moment of poor judgement, is the worst thing that could happen. Remove you and your gun from the situation, or remove the situation from you and your gun, whichever is appropriate.

Now that I've said that, I welcome you to the forum and hope you continue to learn and provide for the defense of you and your loved ones.

What do you drive? I'm kind of car guy, as are many of us, and we could possibly help you decide on a proper location in your car to stow your weapon.
    You're right, and I'm sure when I turn 21 I'll think I was a total idiot when I was 19. I think it's the same with everyone, though. If anyone here has ever read messages or emails they've sent that are 3-4 years old, you were probably surprised with how different you sounded. I've got a lot to learn, but I'm just doing what I can

I would never pull a gun on anyone because of an argument or a confrontation i could get away from, and a big reason for that is actually because I'm 18. I should have a pretty long future ahead of me, and I dont want to spend it in a locked up room. There are times, though, I wished I had one. Just 3 months ago I turned down a road that I'm very familiar with, and there was a car just parked in a turning lane. I drove passed the parked car, and next thing I know there are headlights in my rearview flying up to my car. I thought it was an undercover cop and I was speeding or something.. I stopped at light and got a glimpse at the guy behind me and realized it was a red infinity G35, so it definitely wasn't a cop. I was freaked out. The light turned green, and I made a right turn, another right turn, and another right turn and the guy was still behind me; I was being followed. I road around hoping to run into a cop (I would've driven to the police station but It was too far, I had barely any gas left), so I just drove and cut around corners like a maniac until I lost him.

To answer your question, I drive an E92 BMW M3 convertible.

Love the ride height on those, perfect wheel fitment from the factory.

Only M3 I've been in had a flip open pocket (maybe it was an ash tray?) just in front of the shifter, if you had a pistol in a gun rig, that might work out well for you. I remember the door pocket being too close to the seat, seems like it might be awkward.

In my car, I made an attachment point on the center console near my knee, had to drill some holes, but it's a Pontiac, and I have spare panels. IDK if I could do that in a $70k car though.lol

Florida also recently passed a Bill, they WILL issue conceal carry permits to members of the Armed Forces stationed in Florida regardless of age. But those permits would only be good in the state of Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Love the ride height on those, perfect wheel fitment from the factory.

Only M3 I've been in had a flip open pocket (maybe it was an ash tray?) just in front of the shifter, if you had a pistol in a gun rig, that might work out well for you. I remember the door pocket being too close to the seat, seems like it might be awkward.

In my car, I made an attachment point on the center console near my knee, had to drill some holes, but it's a Pontiac, and I have spare panels. IDK if I could do that in a $70k car though.lol
    Well I'm thinking maybe I dont want my smith 9mm in there, and maybe I could get something similra to this? My dad has one and it's pretty nice. When he had a 6 series BMW he put it in the spot you're talking about.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    Florida also recently passed a Bill, they WILL issue conceal carry permits to members of the Armed Forces stationed in Florida regardless of age. But those permits would only be good in the state of Florida.
    Sure about that? Can you reference that?

IS this what you are talking about?
    790.062 Members and veterans of United States Armed Forces; exceptions from licensure provisions.—(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.06(2)(b), the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm under s. 790.06 if the applicant is otherwise qualified and:
    (a) Is a servicemember, as defined in s. 250.01; or
    (b) Is a veteran of the United States Armed Forces who was discharged under honorable conditions.

FS 790.06 requires an applicant to be 21. I don't see any military exception to age listed. I would verify this with the Dept of Ag & CS.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakebcg View Post
    Well I'm thinking maybe I dont want my smith 9mm in there, and maybe I could get something similra to this? My dad has one and it's pretty nice. When he had a 6 series BMW he put it in the spot you're talking about.
    I like the caliber, and the gun is nifty. Yet, it is not my cup of tea, and I think you should look at other options.

Oh, and sorry my first post was so harsh. I was just trying to make sure I got your attention. Please do read the books I told you about.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Welcome to the forum.

You are 18 and appear to have a good head on your shoulders so take this as friendly advice from someone who has been around for awhile. Forums are a good place to gather opinions of other firearms people but are a poor place for legal assistance. You have already experienced why it is not a good idea to place too much trust on what you read from us.

I for one will not spend a single dime defending myself in court or to a LEO for any bad advice. You on the other hand could disqualify yourself from ever being able to own a firearm. And you could be seeing your 21st birthday from jail.

You get what you pay for as far as legal advice goes. Get your legal opinions from a attorney that understands self defense law and is practicing such. The cost of a consultation may be $100 or so but the value of our opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it..$0.00.

What is perfectly legal in one state could be a felony in another. We are from all over the globe but even if we were living next door to you we probably have no real defensible experience on what FL law is.

Just because someone quotes a statute or post the text of such, doesn't necessarily mean that it applies. An example is that a municipality could have much more stringent laws. Illinois and Chicago come to mind.

A LEO (law enforcement officer) is a poor place to gather legal advice. No knock on them, and I have some good friends that are LEO, but that is not their field of expertise.

As you have seen above, not everyone has the ability to stay on target or even understands what you are asking.

I hope you get the answers you desire from the right source to be legal and safe.

Keep coming back and ask all the questions you want, but always remember. It's our opinion.
    mg27 likes this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blakebcg View Post
    To answer your question, I drive an E92 BMW M3 convertible.
    No, I don't think a door pouch is going to be secure enough in a convertible. You have a problem, alright. Driving that practically shouts that you are worth kidnapping to a recent arrival from South America.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    No, I don't think a door pouch is going to be secure enough in a convertible. You have a problem, alright. Driving that practically shouts that you are worth kidnapping to a recent arrival from South America.
    What makes it less secure just because it's a convertible? It's a hard top, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Is that a serious question? Haven't been to FL lately, have you. Crime here doesn't discriminate by age.
    No, it's a condescending question implying that the OP is wrong for wanting to be proactive, giving himself the ability to protect himself, wanting to inquire about his state's laws by asking someone who may know more than he does and one that proves the point in the saying, "....something about removing all doubt."
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links