I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car? - Page 3

I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car?

This is a discussion on I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; when I hear 18 year old males wanting to keep a loaded hangun in their glove compartment WITHOUT a concealed carry permit, I worry. I ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: I'm 18 in Florida. Can I conceal a gun in my car?

when I hear 18 year old males wanting to keep a loaded hangun in their glove compartment WITHOUT a concealed carry permit, I worry.

I worry a lot.

Its one thing to want to carry your legally owned handgun locked in the trunk, unloaded, with the ammo in a backpack in the backseat, as you drive to the gunrange.

Its a WHOLE other story to want to keep that gun loaded, in the glove compartment, as one drives around Florida, without a CCW.

yes, that is a scary thought. I don't know this kid but I prefer he not go to prison...or the afterlife.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    when I hear 18 year old males wanting to keep a loaded hangun in their glove compartment WITHOUT a concealed carry permit, I worry.

I worry a lot.

Its one thing to want to carry your legally owned handgun locked in the trunk, unloaded, with the ammo in a backpack in the backseat, as you drive to the gunrange.

Its a WHOLE other story to want to keep that gun loaded, in the glove compartment, as one drives around Florida, without a CCW.

yes, that is a scary thought. I don't know this kid but I prefer he not go to prison...or the afterlife.
    I dont have my permit yet, its on the way, but since 19 (22 now) I have been carrying a loaded firearm in my car... i dont see what the issue is. I havent been arrested, ive been pulled over, notified the officer and never had an issue. Whats wrong with him having an interest in guns and a bigger interest with him wanting to protect himself? Its why I carried.
    lyz_grace likes this.

I worry a lot.

A small part of me understands you. I'm not too many years away from being a teenager and teenagers still, for the most part, scare the crap out of me. OP absolutely sounds like he's mature and knows exactly what he's looking for, though. The fact that he's even HERE and asking about legality ought to say something to his credibility. I know 30, 40, 50 somethings that I would never trust with a gun. I also know a few select teenagers who I would trust my life with. Judging by OP's posts here, I'd say he's much more qualified and not at all someone you ought to be losing sleep over.
    Toorop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sure about that? Can you reference that?

IS this what you are talking about?
    790.062 Members and veterans of United States Armed Forces; exceptions from licensure provisions.(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.06(2)(b), the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm under s. 790.06 if the applicant is otherwise qualified and:
    (a) Is a servicemember, as defined in s. 250.01; or
    (b) Is a veteran of the United States Armed Forces who was discharged under honorable conditions.

FS 790.06 requires an applicant to be 21. I don't see any military exception to age listed. I would verify this with the Dept of Ag & CS.
    At first I thought maybe I did read wrong... but after some searching

HB463 & SB998 - Shall Issue Carry Licenses for Military & Vets:

Those who defend our country overseas should be able to defend themselves and their families at home. There have been too many incidences of violence against our troops who have just returned from overseas deployments and found themselves defenseless at home. Florida Carry authored legislation that will insure that our current troops and honorably discharged veterans can obtain a license to carry regardless of age or duty station. The bill will also require that fingerprint cards be accepted from military police and provost so that service members stationed overseas can complete their applications.

There are over 8,000 adult service members under the age of 21 living in the State of Florida. Countless more resident veterans and annual military visitors who will have their right the bear arms advanced by these bills.

This is a good first step toward full recognition of the right to bear arms by all law-abiding adults.

Florida Carry Authored and Strongly Supports These Bills
    PASSED HOUSE & SENATE UNANIMOUSLY!
    Victory! - Signed in to Law 4/13/2012
    FL License to Carry for Military & Vets Under 21 is now Law

Senate Bill 0998 (2012) - The Florida Senate

2012 Session

I worry a lot.

Pythius, I don't know this person either but I commend his attempt at knowledge. I do know this, I may not know him but I am much less worried about his intentions than I am about someone who doesn't care about the laws. People that want to learn the laws are most likely people who don't want trouble and turn out to be decent people who obey the law. So why don't we leave the worrying to him and his state's laws which is what he asked about. The OP was asking for specific information regarding his state's laws and it looks like he has received some good information from a few member who know what they're talking about.

And I'm sorry to hear that you worry a lot about others and their right to bear arms. Especially by those who are trying to follow the laws of their state. My state is full of people like you and I wish they would just mind their own business. If I were you, I'd worry more about the people in Queens that are not seeking knowledge and are intentionally committing crimes with reckless abandon and complete disregard for the law, not someone on a DEFENSIVE CARRY forum seeking knowledge.
    jbum, OD* and darbo like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by slidewayz240 View Post
    I dont have my permit yet, its on the way, but since 19 (22 now) I have been carrying a loaded firearm in my car... i dont see what the issue is. I havent been arrested, ive been pulled over, notified the officer and never had an issue. Whats wrong with him having an interest in guns and a bigger interest with him wanting to protect himself? Its why I carried.
    on average, with age comes maturity, temperment, common sense, and logical thinking.

its why we give more rights to human beings as they get older.

on average, with age comes maturity, temperment, common sense, and logical thinking.

I understand what you are saying, but truth be told... some are "forced" to grow up quicker than others. I was... or at least I feel like I was... now at 22, im happily married, have a great job, a house and am financially sound and responsible. Believe it or not, some of us younger folk are responsible as teens. I accredit this to my parents though. As mentioned above, the fact that he came to this site to ask for help and advice is pretty "grown up" to me.
    lyz_grace likes this.

I understand what you are saying, but truth be told... some are "forced" to grow up quicker than others. I was... or at least I feel like I was... now at 22, im happily married, have a great job, a house and am financially sound and responsible. Believe it or not, some of us younger folk are responsible as teens. I accredit this to my parents though. As mentioned above, the fact that he came to this site to ask for help and advice is pretty "grown up" to me.
    ok, let's assume this guy is more mature than the average 18 year old guy.

is it NOT illegal for someone without a CCW to transport a loaded firearm in a glove compartment, during regular travels?

from what I understand, folks without a concealed-carry permit (such as myself), can only transport a firearm between home and a range, or home and somewhere else where we plan on using the gun, with the gun locked and unloaded in the trunk and all ammo in a different location.

am i wrong about this?

There's another problem with that line of thinking. "We" don't "give" rights. Rights are supposed to only be taken away when we screw up. It's just that some people are complacent having their rights taken as long as it gives them that warm fuzzy knowing that others are affected. That type of thinker is what makes ridiculous laws and then the clueless masses vote with no regard as to the freedoms they are losing, just as long as that warm fuzzy follows. Freedom and rights are not given, they are taken away.

As for the OP, I'm sorry if I've let myself slip the conversation off topic a bit. But just keep on doing what you're doing and don't let anyone, here or otherwise, make you feel as if you need to explain yourself when it comes to your self preservation and pursuit of knowledge and doing the right thing. As opposed, I on the other hand couldn't care less about anyone else and their decision about how they protect themselves and their family. I promise to keep my nose out of their business as long as they return the favor.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

ok, let's assume this guy is more mature than the average 18 year old guy.

is it NOT illegal for someone without a CCW to transport a loaded firearm in a glove compartment, during regular travels?

from what I understand, folks without a concealed-carry permit (such as myself), can only transport a firearm between home and a range, or home and somewhere else where we plan on using the gun, with the gun locked and unloaded in the trunk and all ammo in a different location.

am i wrong about this?
    Maybe in Queens New York thats the law... in Florida that is not the case...
    In Florida if the OP wishes to carry a firearm, more so a handgun, in his glove box or center console... he is well within his legal rights to do so. Whether he is going to the range or not/
    OldVet and darbo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    There's another problem with that line of thinking. "We" don't "give" rights. Rights are supposed to only be taken away when we screw up....
    and yet, we do not allow children to vote, buy homes, get a loan, buy a gun, buy alchohol, buy perscription medicine, etc etc.

Maybe in Queens New York thats the law... in Florida that is not the case...
    ok, Charleston. ;)

Florida law:

It is lawful to possess a concealed firearm for self-defense or other lawful purposes within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.

ok, Charleston. ;)
    in South Carolina... I am also allowed to carry in my center console or glove box as I wish.

in South Carolina... I am also allowed to carry in my center console or glove box as I wish.
    loaded?

loaded?
    Yes. Loaded, round in the chamber... everything...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links